Username
Password

03:48 PM on 02/14/13 
User Info.
SkateFirm21
on the brightside, she could choke.
PA
Male - 24 Years Old
So I recently built my own computer with all new hardware. I have a Windows XP disk from my last computer (yes, i still use XP because I like it), but it will not boot from the disk. The message that appears is this:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

***STOP: (0xF78D2524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)"

If this helps Here is a list of my set up:
MSI Z77A-G45 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i5-3570 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V
LG Black 10X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X
Western Digital WD Blue WD3200AAKX 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5

Thank You!
03:59 PM on 02/14/13 
User Info.
kwsqd
love has torn us apart
Reading, PA
Male - 27 Years Old
What did you discover from your google searching?
04:00 PM on 02/14/13 
User Info.
JoeLovesMO
JoeLovesMansions
Manhattan, KS
Male - 23 Years Old
Well unless you're using 64bit Windows XP then the operating system can only detect 4GB of that RAM. Seriously, fuck all this and just upgrade to Windows 7 64bit. It's not even that different from XP. You are running an extremely outdated operating system on a very modern system. If you have files on the HDD that you need to recover, you can remove the HDD, connect it to an external HDD enclosure and browse it on another computer. If not, fuck this noise and go straight to 64 bit Windows 7.

EDIT: Oh, and also - run the checkdisk like it tells you to.
04:05 PM on 02/14/13 
User Info.
marieeboxx
Cat Lady
West Coast
Female - 23 Years Old
Get a Mac. Seriously, I went from PC to Mac and I don't regret it.
04:10 PM on 02/14/13 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old

This. Hell, even all of my computer science and IT professors use macs. I was (happily) shocked since I own a macbook. Made it a lot easier for my assignments
04:21 PM on 02/14/13 
User Info.
lp670sv
Go Sabres
Buffalo, NY
Male - 22 Years Old
So I recently built my own computer with all new hardware. I have a Windows XP disk from my last computer (yes, i still use XP because I like it), but it will not boot from the disk. The message that appears is this:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

Intel Core i5-3570 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Thank You!
You have an XP disk as in your are trying to use the old hard drive with XP installed on it or you have an old install disk for XP? It's a big difference Windows, XP especially, cant just be tossed in a computer with completely different hardware like that you'll have to reinstall. Additionally, do you have a case speaker for your motherboard? the bios beep codes will tell you if anythings wrong before you even get as far as starting up XP/the install disk. If it's a hardware failure, it will tell you. If not. it'll give you the "boot succesful" beep (usually just one quick beep) and be on your way and then you know it's probably an issue with the install disk, which you can download later.
04:22 PM on 02/14/13 
User Info.
lp670sv
Go Sabres
Buffalo, NY
Male - 22 Years Old
If he's custom building a PC, he doesn't want a Mac.
04:50 PM on 02/14/13 
User Info.
marieeboxx
Cat Lady
West Coast
Female - 23 Years Old
If he's custom building a PC, he doesn't want a Mac.

He can stop this custom build of a PC and switch to a Mac. Lol
04:52 PM on 02/14/13 
User Info.
lp670sv
Go Sabres
Buffalo, NY
Male - 22 Years Old
He can stop this custom build of a PC and switch to a Mac. Lol
Yeah he could, but I seriously doubt he wants to. People who custom build PCs do because they like building them and there is more reward in it than just going and picking one up at a store.
04:53 PM on 02/14/13 
User Info.
marieeboxx
Cat Lady
West Coast
Female - 23 Years Old
This. Hell, even all of my computer science and IT professors use macs. I was (happily) shocked since I own a macbook. Made it a lot easier for my assignments

If my PC didn't break, I'd still have it. Kinda glad it did because I love my MacBook. It was worth the money! Lol
04:59 PM on 02/14/13 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old

Technical information:

Thank You!

Is it an official Microsoft Windows disc, or one that came from your brand of computer? I know that when I used to own a Dell, they had their own Dell Windows XP disc that absolutely would not be able to run on any other type of hardware.
06:57 PM on 02/14/13 
User Info.
Symphonicaxiom
Tell me it's you or nothing at all
Chicago
Male - 25 Years Old
^He could be right. Also, do they're running chkdsk jazz...

also, xp doesn't natively support ahci for hard drives, which i'm guessing your new motherboard automatically chose. you'll have to switch the mode to ide initially and then change around some drivers if you want.
07:11 PM on 02/14/13 
User Info.
kwsqd
love has torn us apart
Reading, PA
Male - 27 Years Old
Is it an official Microsoft Windows disc, or one that came from your brand of computer? I know that when I used to own a Dell, they had their own Dell Windows XP disc that absolutely would not be able to run on any other type of hardware.

That's odd. I have never encountered an issue with using the same dell cd on multiple computers, dell or otherwise. Licensing is a different story.

What really needs to happen is the OP needs to do some homework first and if that fails, then he or she needs to be more descriptive with the problem. We don't even know when the BSOD occurs.
07:15 PM on 02/14/13 
User Info.
lp670sv
Go Sabres
Buffalo, NY
Male - 22 Years Old

Googled your error code and...

also, xp doesn't natively support ahci for hard drives, which i'm guessing your new motherboard automatically chose. you'll have to switch the mode to ide initially and then change around some drivers if you want.

He's right. the error code is of a sata type failure, google how to set your Sata drives to IDE/ATA on your board in the bios, or install the AHCI driver during install. Should be on your MOBO cd.
07:17 PM on 02/14/13 
User Info.
kwsqd
love has torn us apart
Reading, PA
Male - 27 Years Old
Googled your error code and...

He's right. the error code is of a sata type failure, google how to set your Sata drives to IDE/ATA on your board in the bios, or install the AHCI driver during install. Should be on your MOBO cd.

Was just about to post this. The answer to your problems is in your BIOS.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos