http://www.baseballcardvandals.com/
09:23 PM on 02/18/13 
User Info.
David87
That guy
Wilmington, DE
Male - 26 Years Old
I'd take the second group.

That is what I was leaning towards. Just not sure if I'm as high on Darvish this year as everyone else seems to be, at least when compared to Hamels. But that could be the homer in me.

He has like 16 guys he wants to keep (he sucked last year and stocked up on a bunch of young players) and we can only keep 12 max, so he's trying to trade for some proven talent. If he counters me with another offer I may be seeking some advice again haha.

Normally I wouldn't want to trade Cole, but doing so would free up $31 of my budget, and in a league full of Phillies fans, I think I'd be able to get more for him than some other guys.
09:30 PM on 02/18/13 
User Info.
Eich696
Amaro Jr.
South Jersey
Male - 24 Years Old
That is what I was leaning towards. Just not sure if I'm as high on Darvish this year as everyone else seems to be, at least when compared to Hamels. But that could be the homer in me.

He has like 16 guys he wants to keep (he sucked last year and stocked up on a bunch of young players) and we can only keep 12 max, so he's trying to trade for some proven talent. If he counters me with another offer I may be seeking some advice again haha.

Normally I wouldn't want to trade Cole, but doing so would free up $31 of my budget, and in a league full of Phillies fans, I think I'd be able to get more for him than some other guys.

Getting those guys also helps get you some young talent, which could be huge not only now, but in the future of your keeper league. I am really big on Matt Moore and think this could be his breakout year. I feel the same about Hamels, but you have to set your love for the Phillies aside and do what is best for your team.
09:49 PM on 02/18/13 
User Info.
David87
That guy
Wilmington, DE
Male - 26 Years Old
Getting those guys also helps get you some young talent, which could be huge not only now, but in the future of your keeper league. I am really big on Matt Moore and think this could be his breakout year. I feel the same about Hamels, but you have to set your love for the Phillies aside and do what is best for your team.

Yeah everythig I'm reading about Matt Moore gets me excited about potenially having him for this year and next year (our league has a 3 year keeper limit, and he was already kept last year) at such a low price. Same for Goldschmidt, everyone seems to be really high on him. I've got Allen Craig for cheap too, but he's a little fragile and we play with an IF spot anyway.

While I've got your attention....I'm choosing to throw Cano back into the draft pool because his keeper price would be $41 this year. Think that's a mistake? I feel like if I wanted to I could get him back for a similar price, but it'll suck if come draft day someone drives him up to $45 or beyond. I keep going back and forth on this because of how shallow 2B is fantasy wise. You know Cano is going to produce but keeping him cripples my ability to fill my other spots in the draft. This is a 10 team league, but guys who choose to only keep a few and go into the draft with a lot of cash to spend will have no problem driving the prices up on players.
11:43 PM on 02/18/13 
User Info.
domotime2
Like You Know Whatever
New Jersey
Male - 28 Years Old
i have a wacky idea for the mets, i wonder what people's opinion on the matter would be involving Johan Santana.

Okay so this is the last year of Johan's contract as everyone knows and this will most likely be his final season as a Met. In an ideal world, Johan pitches insane for the first 4 months, and the Mets trade him for a solid "wheeler-esque" package. But lets be honest, I can't see johan pitching good enough to get that type of package because even if he did, I could see teams being aprehensive of trading quality prospects for a guy who has broken down in the 2nd half in the past few seasons (and has had serious injury issues). So it looks as if the Mets will either trade him for "B- prospects' at the trade deadline or just let him play out his contract and that will be the end of it.

but what about this...

if Johan pitches good and hits the free agent market, the Mets will definitely 100% not re-sign the guy...but what if the Mets gave him a reasonable contract extension BEFORE the season starts? When I say reasonable I'm talking 3 years/21 million (or less). This will alleviate the pressure for Johan in the 2013 season, as he will all ready have a fair "medium-term' contract guaranteed for him, and the Mets will have a solid veteran started to compliment the young pitching staff at a discounted price. It's a gamble because obviousy Johan could blow out his arm again and you're fucked...but if you give him the extension and he has a monster season, you can keep him OR even offer him to other teams at the discounted 3 year rate.

My reasoning for doing this is that I thinka 6-7million Johan over the next 3 years might be better than any other pitcher you could get for that same price.

I undertsand that it may sound a bit crazy as the logical thing is to just let him go at the end of the season and start fresh...but i'm just thinkingggg outside the box here.
03:17 AM on 02/19/13 
User Info.
thejetstolehome
Benny the Jet
I like where your head's at, but I don't think it's wise. Even for a low salary, the Mets can't seem to afford that risk. There's, at the least, a non-zero chance that he doesn't pitch any of those extension years. Better to just walk away (jeez, I can't believe that contract is up...time flies) than try to get too cute.
07:39 AM on 02/19/13 
User Info.
saintnumberfive
Don't wake me, I plan on sleeping
Everett, WA
Male - 29 Years Old
I like the idea, but only if someone can convince me Johan is still pitching well enough to get $7 million a year. I know it's not 2004 anymore, clearly.
07:55 AM on 02/19/13 
User Info.
DooDooBird
Braves will retire Chipper's # on Jun 28th against the D-Backs.
10:55 AM on 02/19/13 
User Info.
domotime2
Like You Know Whatever
New Jersey
Male - 28 Years Old
I like where your head's at, but I don't think it's wise. Even for a low salary, the Mets can't seem to afford that risk. There's, at the least, a non-zero chance that he doesn't pitch any of those extension years. Better to just walk away (jeez, I can't believe that contract is up...time flies) than try to get too cute.

Yeah that's what I figured. Although Wilpon has stated that his financial woe's are over with (which doesnt mean the mets should be willing to spend non-sense money on players that don't deserve it), I just thought that extending a pitcher like Johan at a discount could be, like you said, a cute move.

I guess I just have to root for a sick first half and that some team is willing to go the extra mile to acquire him at the trade deadline. I'm look at the Tigers here, who I see has a plethora of outfield prospects..... but that's looking too far in the future.

oh well just a thought
11:09 AM on 02/19/13 
User Info.
4Who4What
Auburn, WA
Male - 29 Years Old
chrismayphilly: WIP: Phillies aggressively in pursuit of Marlins OF Giancarlo Stanton. #cbsphilly

lmao...good luck with that one, RAJ.
11:51 AM on 02/19/13 
User Info.
Fuck You Aurora
Lost.
Levittown,PA
Male - 25 Years Old
chrismayphilly: WIP: Phillies aggressively in pursuit of Marlins OF Giancarlo Stanton. #cbsphilly

lmao...good luck with that one, RAJ.
Lol Chris May is the CBS afternoon anchor. What does he know ? Haha.
12:00 PM on 02/19/13 
User Info.
WhatJulianSaid
News on Once the Clouds are Gone
Brooklyn, NY
Male
I had the no.1 in a mock, who would you choose if you had it? Just curious. I think I took Trout lol
12:04 PM on 02/19/13 
User Info.
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
Seattle, WA
Male - 30 Years Old
Staff Member
I had the no.1 in a mock, who would you choose if you had it? Just curious. I think I took Trout lol
I would take Miggy in a re-draft and Trout in keeper because there is concern about the sophomore slump for Trout.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos