Username
Password

09:11 AM on 02/20/13 
User Info.
WhatJulianSaid
News on Once the Clouds are Gone
Brooklyn, NY
Male
I've always had problems finding a new band or forming one since the awful band I was in with my friends broke up. I always post around craigslist and all but never get legitimate replies and if I do they never follow up on e-mailing me back. I have gotten really close to forming them with people but either never found the last missing piece or found out the people I was trying to form them with weren't reliable enough.I've tried to play by myself but I always have trouble since I can barely sing as good as I can while playing somewhat close to decent guitar lol No one ever seems to want to help me despite liking the demos I've made and telling me I have potential etc. Most of the bands in my scene are pretty terrible as well and I have a hard time even meeting people with similar taste as well so it's not exactly a given, despite what you're thinking most kids here that I know of like generic hardcore/metalcore which isn't my thing at all. Does anyone have any suggestions that could help?

Thanks.
09:25 AM on 02/20/13 
User Info.
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
Dallas
Male - 30 Years Old
Go to local music stores (Guitar Center, Sam Ash, etc...) and see if they have a bulletin board. Years ago I found a decent singer that way. Colleges might be good places to post something too.
09:59 AM on 02/20/13 
User Info.
WhatJulianSaid
Brooklyn, NY
Male
Go to local music stores (Guitar Center, Sam Ash, etc...) and see if they have a bulletin board. Years ago I found a decent singer that way. Colleges might be good places to post something too.

Every time I've been to music stores like that I've seen some god awful adds like "influences similar to KISS, Dimmu Borgir, Stone Sour, and Guns N' Roses" lolol or something similar of that sort. My college doesn't have bulletin boards or anything like that, to be fair my college is pretty diverse but the ghetto of it outweighs that part haha
10:32 AM on 02/20/13 
User Info.
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
Dallas
Male - 30 Years Old
Every time I've been to music stores like that I've seen some god awful adds like "influences similar to KISS, Dimmu Borgir, Stone Sour, and Guns N' Roses" lolol or something similar of that sort. My college doesn't have bulletin boards or anything like that, to be fair my college is pretty diverse but the ghetto of it outweighs that part haha

That sucks. You could also try hanging out at clubs where local bands play. Are you wanting to form a band as a hobby, or are you hoping to make a career out of it? If you're just wanting to play music for fun and aren't looking to tour or anything like that, you could talk to members of other bands and see if they want to play in your band as well... or they probably know other musicians that might be looking to join a band.
11:40 AM on 02/20/13 
User Info.
WhatJulianSaid
Brooklyn, NY
Male
That sucks. You could also try hanging out at clubs where local bands play. Are you wanting to form a band as a hobby, or are you hoping to make a career out of it? If you're just wanting to play music for fun and aren't looking to tour or anything like that, you could talk to members of other bands and see if they want to play in your band as well... or they probably know other musicians that might be looking to join a band.

It's really either/or honestly, as long as it's something that sounds worth wasting time on. One of my friends in like 2 bands and makes his own music, it would be really ideal for him and I to just play together but it never works out and I'm not going to wait forever lol I know of a lot of guys from the scene they play in and most of them don't live even close to me nor do we like similar types of music. On top of that most people don't want to help others anymore because of their ill-thought out preconceived notions. Our local scene is pretty much garbage, there's barely anything decent coming out unless it's in conceited elitist Williamsburg sadly.
11:49 AM on 02/20/13 
User Info.
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
Dallas
Male - 30 Years Old
It's really either/or honestly, as long as it's something that sounds worth wasting time on. One of my friends in like 2 bands and makes his own music, it would be really ideal for him and I to just play together but it never works out and I'm not going to wait forever lol I know of a lot of guys from the scene they play in and most of them don't live even close to me nor do we like similar types of music. On top of that most people don't want to help others anymore because of their ill-thought out preconceived notions. Our local scene is pretty much garbage, there's barely anything decent coming out unless it's in conceited elitist Williamsburg sadly.

I don't really know what to tell you. If there are local bands that are playing the type of music you want to play, then go to their shows, talk to their fans, friends, band members, crew, etc....
11:57 AM on 02/20/13 
User Info.
WhatJulianSaid
Brooklyn, NY
Male
I don't really know what to tell you. If there are local bands that are playing the type of music you want to play, then go to their shows, talk to their fans, friends, band members, crew, etc....

Typically I would know what you mean but there really aren't any and if there are they're usually already popular by the time I do find out about them and I can barely even get to go to their shows lol
11:59 AM on 02/20/13 
User Info.
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
Dallas
Male - 30 Years Old
Well... good luck... If you just want to play, you could try finding other musicians online (maybe even this board) who would want to record parts and email them back and forth and put them all together digitally. Obviously it would be difficult to jam or do live gigs, but it could still be fun
12:53 PM on 02/20/13 
User Info.
WhatJulianSaid
Brooklyn, NY
Male
Well... good luck... If you just want to play, you could try finding other musicians online (maybe even this board) who would want to record parts and email them back and forth and put them all together digitally. Obviously it would be difficult to jam or do live gigs, but it could still be fun

LOL I don't know where I would even look? and yeah I'd prefer a more personal thing for sure
01:11 PM on 02/20/13 
User Info.
allthewaysaid
Have a feeling I'll die in my20s...
Texas
Male - 22 Years Old
A hawt chick vocalist. Get one.
01:15 PM on 02/20/13 
User Info.
pinkfrosty
Does not give a fuck
DC
Male - 28 Years Old
it's brutal out there man. It would prolly help you to figure out what your goals are: Are you trying to play shows or are you trying to just make an album and put it online? Both? It's usually easier to find people if you've got a specifc plan layed out.

I have the same problem here in DC, which is kinda a music scene wasteland to begin with (for a number of reasons), but I'm sure it's just as hard anywhere else. Stay away from CL dude, it's pointless 99% of the time. Try hanging out at a local music shop (i think someone already suggested it), or venues that you know have bands that are in your style. Or just make friends with some of the existing local groups; it's much more likely you'll get a spot if you already know the band members and they know you're already on board. It also doesn't hurt to have a youtube page or bandmix account where you can host videos of yourself, always a good idea to have some samples out there. But make sure your videos are good, and I mean "blow your mind" good. If the listener isn't engaged with 10 seconds, you're done.

Just keep at it, you'll find someone eventually. It took me over a year to find three other dudes out here that want to play on a regular basis. That's a big thing, you gotta have people willing to make the time for the band. A lot of guys just want to jam every once in a while and that's fun but pointless if your goal is to play out and get exposure. Best of luck.
01:16 PM on 02/20/13 
User Info.
Dino Day
For the Glory of Humanity
Philadelphia, PA
Male - 22 Years Old
I used to live in Fort Myers/Naples, FL. We had a great music scene years ago. I was a promoter AND in a serious band too, along with a bunch of others in town. We brought down so many great touring bands, and the locals were pretty good too. It brought everyone out and it was amazing, that's how a few other good local bands got started, by going out to those shows. That's how I started that band. Then time passed and people started getting tired of going out to shows, now all we have are just Metalcore shows, that only happen during events that are held in downtown. No legit shows anymore since a lot of venues closed down. Last year, I went through the same problem, about wanting to start another band (after I quit my last serious band). It happened, but then we all had different life goals so after trying to find replacements it didn't work out, so we disbanded. I recently just moved to Philadelphia for music purposes --but to start another band? No.

The only band I know of that have made it out of that Florida area is Fake Problems.

It's tough... All I can say is good luck.
01:16 PM on 02/20/13 
User Info.
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
Dallas
Male - 30 Years Old
LOL I don't know where I would even look? and yeah I'd prefer a more personal thing for sure

yeah... I'm kinda grasping at straws, but it could be fun... different than playing with other people live for sure, but it could be interesting
02:38 PM on 02/20/13 
User Info.
WhatJulianSaid
Brooklyn, NY
Male
A hawt chick vocalist. Get one.

I'm not a chick lol I'm definitely open to working with a girl as well but I'm not good enough at an instrument to mainly play that. Shredding on bass probably wont get you far unless you're in a math rock project haha
02:54 PM on 02/20/13 
User Info.
WhatJulianSaid
Brooklyn, NY
Male
I used to live in Fort Myers/Naples, FL. We had a great music scene years ago. I was a promoter AND in a serious band too, along with a bunch of others in town. We brought down so many great touring bands, and the locals were pretty good too. It brought everyone out and it was amazing, that's how a few other good local bands got started, by going out to those shows. That's how I started that band. Then time passed and people started getting tired of going out to shows, now all we have are just Metalcore shows, that only happen during events that are held in downtown. No legit shows anymore since a lot of venues closed down. Last year, I went through the same problem, about wanting to start another band (after I quit my last serious band). It happened, but then we all had different life goals so after trying to find replacements it didn't work out, so we disbanded. I recently just moved to Philadelphia for music purposes --but to start another band? No.

The only band I know of that have made it out of that Florida area is Fake Problems.

It's tough... All I can say is good luck.

Interesting, I know the FL area had a lot of good bands at one time for awhile. My ex moved there and she told me all about the venue issue although she went out with a bunch of band kids who all played the same boring br00tal type stuff lol I know when I was in FL for awhile I messaged Tides of Man because I knew they were looking for a vocalist just to see if it was even possible but they never replied to me so I just figured they found one.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos