AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Streaming News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Spotify Looking to Renegotiate Royalty Rates

Posted by - 03:23 PM on 02/20/13
Just read this article over at The Verge that explains how, "Spotify plans to ask labels for the rights to extend its free tier to mobile devices and make substantial cuts to the royalty fees it pays artists." And, while I am glad these services exist compared to piracy, I can't help but agree with the conclusion from The Brief:
No matter the outcome, artists are on the losing end: Spotify wins, and if their talks result in a favorable outcome, paves the way for Pandora et al to follow suit; the labels, who get shares in Spotify in return for their licensing agreements, win; users, who get access to a giant catalog of music whether they pay or not, win; and artists get to watch rich CEOs fight to reduce their income even further.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 50
03:30 PM on 02/20/13
jtwoodruff
User Info.
Bands always lose monetarily...but we have fun being bands.
JT
03:35 PM on 02/20/13
Lawliet
I have learned to love the lie
User Info.
It already pays like .00001 a cent per play, come on. I was hoping when I clicked this it would be about renegotiating paying them MORE not cutting their damn balls off.
03:35 PM on 02/20/13
MrDelux
User Info.
Bands always lose monetarily...but we have fun being bands.
JT
Truth.

Keep up the good work. Love y'alls music.

One thing to debate is that getting music on my mobile will make me happy to listen/discover bands. And if I'm happy will I be more likely to go to show to support to bands? Most likely.
03:45 PM on 02/20/13
jlinitz
Johnny B
User Info.
Does anyone have spotify premium? Would you recommend it? I'm tired of rearranging my songs to fit on my phone
03:48 PM on 02/20/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Fuck no. Would never make a deal with them.
03:58 PM on 02/20/13
heavyd
noireallydontcare
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I pay for Spotify Premium, and it's easily the best thing I own. 10 bucks a month for any album I want to listen to, on any device, anytime. It's amazing. I literally use it all day long.
04:03 PM on 02/20/13
The Old Black
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I pay for Spotify Premium, and it's easily the best thing I own. 10 bucks a month for any album I want to listen to, on any device, anytime. It's amazing. I literally use it all day long.

Same for me, but with Rdio. It always amazes me when people say "I can't afford the $10".
04:05 PM on 02/20/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Same for me, but with Rdio. It always amazes me when people say "I can't afford the $10".
This.
04:08 PM on 02/20/13
GrantCloud
User Info.
Does anyone have spotify premium? Would you recommend it? I'm tired of rearranging my songs to fit on my phone
yeah, it is pretty handy to have, especially if you have a smart phone or tablet, but don't want to/or have any music on them. i use both periodically throughout the day and i use it easily a few hours a day.
04:12 PM on 02/20/13
SSLYBY
Back in the saddle.
User Info.

You'll love it.
04:14 PM on 02/20/13
bigmouthmonstr
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Absolutely. I have had it for over a year and it's the best thing ever. Worth the $$ in my opinion. I live in a big city, take public transit so I rely heavily on my phone for music.
04:23 PM on 02/20/13
UnderMyDreams
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Definitely recommended, as everyone above is saying. I'll add in a few things though.

The quality of the music is great, it's MP3 quality. However, if you're using it a lot on your phone or iPad or whatever, remember that it does use a lot of data. If you're on 3G/4G and using it a bunch, watch your data usage, because that'll eat it up real quick. If you're somewhere you have wifi then that obviously isn't a problem. The app's interface rules as well.
04:31 PM on 02/20/13
Slangster
Kill the lights, I've seen too much
User Info.
Definitely recommended, as everyone above is saying. I'll add in a few things though.

The quality of the music is great, it's MP3 quality. However, if you're using it a lot on your phone or iPad or whatever, remember that it does use a lot of data. If you're on 3G/4G and using it a bunch, watch your data usage, because that'll eat it up real quick. If you're somewhere you have wifi then that obviously isn't a problem. The app's interface rules as well.
Pretty much all of this. It's easily worth the $10 a month.
04:50 PM on 02/20/13
jlinitz
Johnny B
User Info.

Yeah good point, I'm on wifi most of the time with my phone so that shouldn't be a problem.

Absolutely. I have had it for over a year and it's the best thing ever. Worth the $$ in my opinion. I live in a big city, take public transit so I rely heavily on my phone for music.

yeah, it is pretty handy to have, especially if you have a smart phone or tablet, but don't want to/or have any music on them. i use both periodically throughout the day and i use it easily a few hours a day.

Thanks for all the feedback haha. I know it's definitely worth it I just haven't made the switch yet

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos