Robot. Android. Cyborg.
04:20 PM on 02/20/13 
User Info.
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
Seattle, WA
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
Maybe back in your day ACL injuries were a big deal, but I'm not worried about it. These are elite athletes - they can recover from this and a lot of the times, come back stronger.
that 4 year gap between us totally changed surgery completely, you're right. in 1983 ACL surgeries were performed with a leather belt and an arrowhead.
04:21 PM on 02/20/13 
User Info.
PAPER R1VAL
#YANKS
No Avatar Selected
South Carolina
Male - 24 Years Old
are you a real person?

-___-
04:22 PM on 02/20/13 
User Info.
PAPER R1VAL
#YANKS
No Avatar Selected
South Carolina
Male - 24 Years Old
that 4 year gap between us totally changed surgery completely, you're right. in 1983 ACL surgeries were performed with a leather belt and an arrowhead.

You'd be surprised how much changed between '83 and '87.
04:24 PM on 02/20/13 
User Info.
preppyak
I hate Vincent Jackson
Falls Church, VA
Male - 29 Years Old
Revis has been doing it for four years. Sherman had a great year, but needs to consistently do it before he talks shit to the best in the game.
I agree with this. Though Revis seems to have started this latest spat, which was dumb.

He'll still be in his prime until he's 30 years old.
Injuries the last 2 years, we never actually saw him come back 100% this past year. He'd have to come back in 2013 and have a monster year for me to believe he was still in his prime.

I know if I was an NFL team, I wouldn't be handing a big deal that didn't give me an out each year for the next 2 years.

Quote:
Keep trying to make Sherman sound like the better player though. It's quality entertainment.
Well, remember how good we all thought Nnamdi was? And how we thought Cromartie was good because of Revis?

Position seems to be pretty fluid; if Sherman has the same year next year as this year, he'd pass Revis in my mind
04:28 PM on 02/20/13 
User Info.
PAPER R1VAL
#YANKS
No Avatar Selected
South Carolina
Male - 24 Years Old
Injuries the last 2 years, we never actually saw him come back 100% this past year.

He had the holdout related hamstring pull in 2010. He was dominant in 2011.

I just posted a PFF article about how crazy he was in 2011. A 2.9 QB rating and 10 completions allowed over the first half of that season.

So he did come back from the hammy problem and dominate. The ACL is obviously more serious and he's not going to cash in until starts football activities. Almost certain the Jets will trade him, maybe before March 15th. Things are about to get really interesting between the two sides.
04:48 PM on 02/20/13 
User Info.
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
Seattle, WA
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
You'd be surprised how much changed between '83 and '87.
why don't you document them for me? maybe if you spent a little more time formulating an argument and a little less time talking shit to me you'd hold some water.

injuries play a huge part in who is the best. if you can't stay on the field, you can't be the best.
04:56 PM on 02/20/13 
User Info.
WhatJulianSaid
News on Once the Clouds are Gone
Brooklyn, NY
Male
I hope that you guys are really Revis and Sherman shit-talking eachother on AP in disguise lol
04:57 PM on 02/20/13 
User Info.
WRLD ART
Kings.
Deal, NJ
Male - 22 Years Old
I am under the firm believe that Antoine Winfield is the best CB in the NFL.
04:58 PM on 02/20/13 
User Info.
WhatJulianSaid
News on Once the Clouds are Gone
Brooklyn, NY
Male
I am under the firm believe that Antoine Winfield is the best CB in the NFL.

at 5'9 he definitely is lol
05:25 PM on 02/20/13 
User Info.
wesgemm08
Dance Yrself Clean
Male - 29 Years Old
Lardarius Webb was a top 5 CB leading up to his second torn ACL this season. Hopefully he can come back next season and be 80% what he was prior to the injury
05:45 PM on 02/20/13 
User Info.
startBBtoday
Let's compare them statistically. 2011 Revis vs. 2012 Sherman.

So Sherman played more snaps and received one more regular season target. Sherman also allowed four more receptions, 124 more yards, but only 18 more YAC and one more touchdown. Sherman also picked off four more passes. Sherman had a lower QB rating again, more cover snaps per target (more is better), more yards per cover snap (more is worse) and less cover snaps per reception (more is better).

(this includes playoff stats, so numbers will be bloated in favor of Revis)

Sherman allows more receptions per target, allows more yards per reception, and gave up a 56 yard pass vs. a 53 yard pass for Revis. Both had two receptions allowed over 50 yards. Sherman had one less pass defensed during the regular season.

Overall, it's almost exactly even, but Sherman is more of the ball hawk. The difference between those stats are minute other than the INTs and yards allowed. People dismiss interceptions, but Sherman had 2x the amount of interceptions with only one more target during the regular season.

By the eye test, I'd put Revis' prime (2009) over Sherman (2012), but I don't think we're talking about that, we're talking about now. Revis is coming off a torn ACL, and as easy as it was for Peterson, Welker, etc. to come back from that injury, it's still a concern. Going into next season, I'd probably rather have Sherman on the Seahawks than Revis on the Jets, but Sherman is helped out by the Seattle defense.

I'd say it's even.
06:02 PM on 02/20/13 
User Info.
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
Seattle, WA
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
Good stuff Doug.
06:02 PM on 02/20/13 
User Info.
startBBtoday
So:

Sherman:
+More snaps, less targets
+four more interceptions
+lower quarterback rating
+more cover snaps per target
-56 yard long
-two 50+ yard receptions

Revis:
+less receptions
+less yards
+less YAC
+less TDs
+less yards per cover snap
+more cover snaps per reception
+less receptions per target
+less yards per reception
-53 yard long
-two 50+ yard receptions
+more passes defensed

But, like I said before those four more INTs are huge, especially when Sherman only received one more target.
06:04 PM on 02/20/13 
User Info.
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
Seattle, WA
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
When do you feel decline phase is for a position like CB Doug? Sherman's on the rise, Revis is obviously closer to decline.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos