go Phins.

spend some (good) money in FA.
06:10 PM on 02/20/13 
User Info.
<*)))><
Put a T-Shirt On
Oswego,NY
Male - 23 Years Old
Revis doesn't play with safety help over the top.
06:14 PM on 02/20/13 
User Info.
startBBtoday
Thanks a lot Drew...

When do you feel decline phase is for a position like CB Doug? Sherman's on the rise, Revis is obviously closer to decline.

Revis is older, but unless the injury bug continues, I don't think a decline will come for a few years. For Charles Woodson it happened around 34, for Champ Bailey it was at 33 or 34.

Obviously those two players are special cases, but so are Revis and Sherman. It's probably best to compare the best to the best.

For Ty Law it was around 32. Ronde Barber was around 32 or 33 as a cornerback, though he's remade himself as a safety.

It's safe to say that Revis is at least three years away from serious decline unless injuries occur. Not that this really pertains to this conversation, but I have a feeling that Sherman could decline earlier (more Ty Law to his game) than Revis.
06:16 PM on 02/20/13 
User Info.
TSLROCKS
Knicks 2016 World Champions!
Brooklyn, NY
Male
Hi
User Info.
startBBtoday
Bringing my last two posts over.

Let's compare them statistically. 2011 Revis vs. 2012 Sherman.

So Sherman played more snaps and received one more regular season target. Sherman also allowed four more receptions, 124 more yards, but only 18 more YAC and one more touchdown. Sherman also picked off four more passes. Sherman had a lower QB rating again, more cover snaps per target (more is better), more yards per cover snap (more is worse) and less cover snaps per reception (more is better).

(this includes playoff stats, so numbers will be bloated in favor of Revis)

Sherman allows more receptions per target, allows more yards per reception, and gave up a 56 yard pass vs. a 53 yard pass for Revis. Both had two receptions allowed over 50 yards. Sherman had one less pass defensed during the regular season.

Overall, it's almost exactly even, but Sherman is more of the ball hawk. The difference between those stats are minute other than the INTs and yards allowed. People dismiss interceptions, but Sherman had 2x the amount of interceptions with only one more target during the regular season.

By the eye test, I'd put Revis' prime (2009) over Sherman (2012), but I don't think we're talking about that, we're talking about now. Revis is coming off a torn ACL, and as easy as it was for Peterson, Welker, etc. to come back from that injury, it's still a concern. Going into next season, I'd probably rather have Sherman on the Seahawks than Revis on the Jets, but Sherman is helped out by the Seattle defense.

I'd say it's even.
User Info.
startBBtoday
So:

Sherman:
+More snaps, less targets
+four more interceptions
+lower quarterback rating
+more cover snaps per target
-56 yard long
-two 50+ yard receptions

Revis:
+less receptions
+less yards
+less YAC
+less TDs
+less yards per cover snap
+more cover snaps per reception
+less receptions per target
+less yards per reception
-53 yard long
-two 50+ yard receptions
+more passes defensed

But, like I said before those four more INTs are huge, especially when Sherman only received one more target.
06:17 PM on 02/20/13 
User Info.
startBBtoday
Revis doesn't play with safety help over the top.

What, in your mind, does this even mean?
06:19 PM on 02/20/13 
User Info.
<*)))><
Put a T-Shirt On
Oswego,NY
Male - 23 Years Old
Revis doesn't get help from safeties, he plays on an island, you know Revis Island. Seahawks play primarily cover 1 so on deep route he gets help defending the pass with a safety instead of 1on1 like Revis. Revis also doesn't need steroids like that other corner.
06:20 PM on 02/20/13 
User Info.
porttheman
SERENITY NOW!
Urbandale, Iowa
Male - 29 Years Old
Ha
06:21 PM on 02/20/13 
User Info.
xbrokendownx
Lets Go.
Southampton, PA
Male - 28 Years Old
Platinum Member
06:23 PM on 02/20/13 
User Info.
startBBtoday
Revis doesn't get help from safeties, he plays on an island, you know Revis Island. Seahawks play primarily cover 1 so on deep route he gets help defending the pass with a safety instead of 1on1 like Revis.

That's such a myth, though. The Jets don't play a straight cover zero (no one does) with two safeties playing man in the box. Usually either Landry or Bell will be playing over the top helping out (and that's typically Cromartie).

It's the same with the Seahawks, except Seattle has better safeties with more defined roles. Chancellor plays in the box and Thomas is helping out over the top (typically Browner).
06:24 PM on 02/20/13 
User Info.
Killadelphia

It's why Asomugah has stunk apparently...
06:29 PM on 02/20/13 
User Info.
WhatJulianSaid
News on Once the Clouds are Gone
Brooklyn, NY
Male
I think what he's trying to say if revis played with bad-mediocre safeties who didn't do much so he did most of the work.
06:29 PM on 02/20/13 
User Info.
SwiftSilentDead
Anchorless
Go Panth-oh forget it.

Can't wait for the roster to be purged again.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos