Password

08:33 AM on 02/08/13 
User Info.
schmalz
...with the saves the day record on
California, MD
Male - 28 Years Old
http://www.federaltimes.com/article/...ter-plans-soon

Basically means if you work as a civil servant for the US Government, and congress doesn't pass a budget by 1 March 2013, all government employees will be sent home without pay.

The sequestration is an automatic budget cut that will affect all US departments (DOE, DOD, etc)
05:47 PM on 02/08/13 
User Info.
Ollie McKraut
Registered Member
Male - 23 Years Old
This is often referred to in the media as "the fiscal cliff"
08:19 PM on 02/08/13 
User Info.
loveisdead
Go Peyton Go
Long Island
Male - 27 Years Old
Subbing cause I know this will be a mess.
08:30 PM on 02/08/13 
User Info.
David87
That guy
Wilmington, DE
Male - 26 Years Old
Spending cuts need to happen, especially in the DOD and military spending....but doing it this much this fast will only hurt the economy.

Though I must say, the underlying numbers in Q4 weren't that bad at all...and in fact they are apparently going to adjust the growth number up
08:47 PM on 02/08/13 
User Info.
Jake Gyllenhaal
LLLOOOYYYDDD!!!!!!!
Hollywood
Male
Rand Paul leads by example. Upon his election to the U.S. Senate, his yearly income is $30,000 a year (the median income for American families).
12:42 PM on 02/11/13 
User Info.
pinkfrosty
Does not give a fuck
DC
Male - 28 Years Old
http://www.federaltimes.com/article/...ter-plans-soon

Basically means if you work as a civil servant for the US Government, and congress doesn't pass a budget by 1 March 2013, all government employees will be sent home without pay.

The sequestration is an automatic budget cut that will affect all US departments (DOE, DOD, etc)

Since you're down by Pax river I'm assuming you know what this is gonna mean for the local Delmarva enconomies. I heard Gen Dynamics is already exepcting something like a 2 Billion budget gap.
09:29 AM on 02/19/13 
User Info.
schmalz
California, MD
Male - 28 Years Old
Since you're down by Pax river I'm assuming you know what this is gonna mean for the local Delmarva enconomies. I heard Gen Dynamics is already exepcting something like a 2 Billion budget gap.

Yea, I'm hearing some bad things for workers down here. Which will then kill the local economies. I know the entire region here thrives off the Pax River base. I didn't hear about the Gen Dynamics yet, I know the companies are responsible for contractor employees who aren't fed employees.

So if employees salaries are cut by 20% then people will no longer:

Go out to eat
Buy a house
Buy a car
etc
etc

Doesn't look good here.
12:54 PM on 02/19/13 
User Info.
pinkfrosty
Does not give a fuck
DC
Male - 28 Years Old
Yea, I'm hearing some bad things for workers down here. Which will then kill the local economies. I know the entire region here thrives off the Pax River base. I didn't hear about the Gen Dynamics yet, I know the companies are responsible for contractor employees who aren't fed employees.

So if employees salaries are cut by 20% then people will no longer:

Go out to eat
Buy a house
Buy a car
etc
etc

Doesn't look good here.

I think what you meant is they won't be able to goblow their paycheck at Brass Rail and Tiki Bar every weekend. It's St Mary's county after all lol.
12:58 PM on 02/19/13 
User Info.
lp670sv
Go Sabres
Rochester, New York
Male - 21 Years Old
I've got a few friends in the military who are obviously not happy about this, both because they won't be getting paid and because they'll be forced to work without pay through however long the sequester lasts according to their superiors.
05:36 AM on 02/21/13 
User Info.
Jake Gyllenhaal
LLLOOOYYYDDD!!!!!!!
Hollywood
Male
Don't worry, members of Congress' pay won't be affected by sequestration, all thanks to the 27th Amendment!

Quote:
Staffers face 22 days of furloughs, which add up to about a 20 percent pay cut for them, and layoffs lurk as a possibility. Unless, of course, you are an actual member of Congress. Your pay can’t be cut as part of the 2011 Budget Control Act.
So why are the “bosses” in Congress not suffering with the staff, at least not until later this spring?
The 27th Amendment to the Constitution forbids Congress from changing its own pay during a current term of Congress. The sequester “poison pill” in the 2011 Budget Control Act was scheduled to go into effect on January 2, 2013, the last day of the prior Congress.
The actual rules for who gets sequestered, and who doesn’t, are set by the Gramm-Rudman-Hollings Act of 1985, as amended. The Statutory Pay-As-You-Go Act of 2010 can also be a factor when a sequester goes into effect.
Congressional pay is just one of many programs that will be exempt from cuts. According to the Congressional Research Service, “Most exempt programs are mandatory, and include Social Security and Medicaid; refundable tax credits to individuals; and low-income programs such as the Children’s Health Insurance Program, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, and Supplemental Security Income.”
Somehow, Congress found a way to delay its own pay, possibly until January 2015, by agreeing to put its pay in escrow on April 16, 2013, as part of the fiscal cliff deal. Even that act has been subject to a vigorous debate as a possible violation of the 27th Amendment, and it could be challenged if the budget deadlock drags out.
10:39 AM on 02/22/13 
User Info.
schmalz
California, MD
Male - 28 Years Old
I think what you meant is they won't be able to goblow their paycheck at Brass Rail and Tiki Bar every weekend. It's St Mary's county after all lol.

HAHA.. you got me. Even though I've never been to Brass Rail. I tend to go to the Green Door more often. I can't believe someone here knows the local joints of St. Mary's county. There are some real winners here in the area.

But seriously, this sequestration is going to suck for many folks here on the civil servant and contractor side. Just hope the inept congress can pull something together to avoid the disastrous cuts.
11:26 AM on 02/22/13 
User Info.
pinkfrosty
Does not give a fuck
DC
Male - 28 Years Old
HAHA.. you got me. Even though I've never been to Brass Rail. I tend to go to the Green Door more often. I can't believe someone here knows the local joints of St. Mary's county. There are some real winners here in the area.

But seriously, this sequestration is going to suck for many folks here on the civil servant and contractor side. Just hope the inept congress can pull something together to avoid the disastrous cuts.

Oh yeah man I went to Chopticon. I used to go to the Green Door back in the day.
06:30 PM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
mattjritter
USMNT ♦ AVFC
I N D P L S
Male - 26 Years Old
Wasn't the sequester intentionally created to light a fire under the collective Congress ass to find real debt solutions?
06:50 PM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
loveisdead
Go Peyton Go
Long Island
Male - 27 Years Old
Wasn't the sequester intentionally created to light a fire under the collective Congress ass to find real debt solutions?

Basically. It was the backup plan if the supercommittee failed. The backup plan being that they'd have to do something.
06:58 PM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
WakingTheMisery
<3
Sandbox
Male - 26 Years Old
I'm fully expecting to not get paid again. The difference being, I don't have the choice of "going home". I know that eventually, I'll get paid again, but working for free is just not cool. Last time it happened I was in basic, so it didn't really affect me. Now it's kind of a big deal.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS
Mobile Version
Banners, Flyers, Widgets