Password

12:04 PM on 02/22/13 
User Info.
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
L’Amérique du Nord
Male - 26 Years Old
Hello/bonjour/buenos dias/gutentag !

I am sure this question has been answered many, many times on the internet before but whether I am chosing the wrong search terms or something, I can't find good advice on a query. Basically, there have been many times where I am interested in multiple open positions at a single company and don't know the best route to take. For example, right now I know there are 4 positions at The Art Institute of Vancouver I am inerested in and the application process is done through sending your info through e-mail. What is the appropriate way with dealing wih this? Send 4 nearly identical e-mails? In general, is it just better to chose one and apply?

Thank you/merci beaucoup/muchas gracias/danke
12:10 PM on 02/22/13 
User Info.
WeltallAY
L’Amérique du Nord
Male - 26 Years Old
Also, I'm curious to how others in the job search situation like me have been agression-wise when searching for a job. Is it really reccommended to do more than a follow up e-mail? I've heard that some places get annoyed with calls and it's hard to just "drop in" when the places I apply for are scattered all accross North America (sans Mexico).

Finally, would anyone reccomend just packing up and moving to a desired city and try to get a career this way (while working a part-time job)? I don't know, but I have a feeling my applications are put aside rather quickly for not being interview close.
12:32 PM on 02/22/13 
User Info.
WeltallAY
L’Amérique du Nord
Male - 26 Years Old
If a moderator sees that^ can it be removed? Makes me so mad, thread is dirty before it even starts.
01:28 PM on 02/22/13 
User Info.
evenifitkillsme
Royal Ocean
Male - 24 Years Old
Hey - I'm a recruiter.

At a large company (I mean very large) you would have to send it more than once.

At a company of a smaller size with a (probably) more centralized HR/Hiring department, I would send 1 and mention in your cover letter that you would be interested in any of the four. but apply for what you feel is the best fit. {If you take this route make sure you stress that you would be interested in any of the 4 because of how much you want to work at this place - otherwise it seems like your just trying take the easy route of "whatever works".}

The reason being - in a smaller company where there is probably 1-3 recruiters/they also work in HR they will see your resume and consider it for all the positions they have - if you are a good fit. If you come across like a good candidate and you just don't QUITE fit the position yo uapplied for they are likely to say "hey, this kid is missing _____ but he could be good for that other role."

EDIT: As for your location Q - I can't tell you to move and uproot your life but you are correct in assuming that people are seeing your location and probably putting your resume aside. There are several reasons... relocation is an arduous process with lots of chances for speedbumps - companies don't need this. Secondly, most roles you are applying for (the good ones anyway) are Active and have a need of "ASAP" therefore availability is a must. If tyou dont have much experience/expertise there's no reason for a company to wait a month for you to get your life moved when they can get someone with similar skills in the area started on Monday.
01:47 PM on 02/22/13 
User Info.
WeltallAY
L’Amérique du Nord
Male - 26 Years Old
Hey - I'm a recruiter.

At a large company (I mean very large) you would have to send it more than once.

At a company of a smaller size with a (probably) more centralized HR/Hiring department, I would send 1 and mention in your cover letter that you would be interested in any of the four. but apply for what you feel is the best fit. {If you take this route make sure you stress that you would be interested in any of the 4 because of how much you want to work at this place - otherwise it seems like your just trying take the easy route of "whatever works".}

The reason being - in a smaller company where there is probably 1-3 recruiters/they also work in HR they will see your resume and consider it for all the positions they have - if you are a good fit. If you come across like a good candidate and you just don't QUITE fit the position yo uapplied for they are likely to say "hey, this kid is missing _____ but he could be good for that other role."

EDIT: As for your location Q - I can't tell you to move and uproot your life but you are correct in assuming that people are seeing your location and probably putting your resume aside. There are several reasons... relocation is an arduous process with lots of chances for speedbumps - companies don't need this. Secondly, most roles you are applying for (the good ones anyway) are Active and have a need of "ASAP" therefore availability is a must. If tyou dont have much experience/expertise there's no reason for a company to wait a month for you to get your life moved when they can get someone with similar skills in the area started on Monday.

Thank you very much for the detailed and helpful response. I appreciate in learning how to handle this. So you would suggest (for these kinds of applications) unless it's a Google-sized company to just make one letter? I'm going to need to work on my wordsmithing in order to not make it seem like I was going with "whatever works", which is why I was worried about applying for multiple positions at once.

For the "EDIT", this confirms what I thought. Do you have any idea how many people just move to a city and try to start a career? Honestly, I have no desire to remain near Toledo, Ohio nor Ohio at all to be honest (actually have applied for ~50% jobs in Canada, ~5% in Europe/Australia though I'm not banking on the latter at all).
06:24 AM on 02/23/13 
User Info.
ChristopherBear
Yokohama
Male
getting a job is like getting a girl: a numbers game

EXCEPT jobs are bigger numbers

like if you talk to 100 girls, 20 should give you their number, 10 will probably bang maybe 1 anal (joking....maybe)
now with a job, from my experience when i was in america i was going hard, i applied to LOTS (all within my tricountyarea) and eventually got one due to persistence

and YES i would recommend going to a city you'd always loved to go to, go for broke and once youre there you will be supercharged to find a job. youll be on survival mode. like going to an uncharted region of china and learning chinese 20x faster that way since you need it to lve. same deal. save some money though. but yeah. go!

i hope this helped
07:52 AM on 02/23/13 
User Info.
Spencer Control
Yeah I still burn from time to time
If a moderator sees that^ can it be removed? Makes me so mad, thread is dirty before it even starts.

What, did someone say "anal" or whatever? Ah, PL...
09:24 AM on 02/23/13 
User Info.
WeltallAY
L’Amérique du Nord
Male - 26 Years Old
What, did someone say "anal" or whatever? Ah, PL...

No one of those "spam" accounts showed up and posted a long paragraph with a bunch of symbols and links to Gucci
09:29 AM on 02/23/13 
User Info.
WeltallAY
L’Amérique du Nord
Male - 26 Years Old
getting a job is like getting a girl: a numbers game

EXCEPT jobs are bigger numbers

like if you talk to 100 girls, 20 should give you their number, 10 will probably bang maybe 1 anal (joking....maybe)
now with a job, from my experience when i was in america i was going hard, i applied to LOTS (all within my tricountyarea) and eventually got one due to persistence

and YES i would recommend going to a city you'd always loved to go to, go for broke and once youre there you will be supercharged to find a job. youll be on survival mode. like going to an uncharted region of china and learning chinese 20x faster that way since you need it to lve. same deal. save some money though. but yeah. go!

i hope this helped

I wonder how many it will take until someone takes a bite though. I've applied in the past year since graduation for ~200 positions and have gotten 0 interview offers besides one that was a scam and one that wasn't going to work out (a secretary position in Montréal in which she was interviewing like 25 people for, a 13 hour drive is too much for that little of a chance and 10$/hr) And honestly, the ONLY companies that bother to even respond back to me (be it an initial application or a follow up e-mail) are the Canadian ones. I've gotten maybe 3 responses from American companies.
09:40 AM on 02/23/13 
User Info.
Spencer Control
Yeah I still burn from time to time
No one of those "spam" accounts showed up and posted a long paragraph with a bunch of symbols and links to Gucci

Ah, I see. Yeah, AP's gone badly downhill in terms of spam. Never used to see it, but now I see it almost daily.
10:02 AM on 02/23/13 
User Info.
WeltallAY
L’Amérique du Nord
Male - 26 Years Old
Ah, I see. Yeah, AP's gone badly downhill in terms of spam. Never used to see it, but now I see it almost daily.

I don't see what these spammers really gain from this, are APers really clicking those links and buying crap?
12:07 AM on 02/24/13 
User Info.
ChristopherBear
Yokohama
Male
I wonder how many it will take until someone takes a bite though. I've applied in the past year since graduation for ~200 positions and have gotten 0 interview offers besides one that was a scam and one that wasn't going to work out (a secretary position in Montréal in which she was interviewing like 25 people for, a 13 hour drive is too much for that little of a chance and 10$/hr) And honestly, the ONLY companies that bother to even respond back to me (be it an initial application or a follow up e-mail) are the Canadian ones. I've gotten maybe 3 responses from American companies.

fuckkkkk man that sucks

just go to asia, teach english and save money
i swear its an awesome experience, mindless job and you can save lots of money and live well

try japan or korea but anywhere will be great

best advice i can give someone your age in your situation

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests