AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Drive, The - Beautiful Disaster Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 9
Production 8.5
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 9.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Final Verdict: 88%
Member Ratings
Vocals 10
Musicianship 10
Lyrics 10
Production 9.88
Creativity 10
Lasting Value 10
Reviewer Tilt 10
Average: 100%
Inside AP.net

Drive, The - Beautiful Disaster

Reviewed by: tortags (02/27/13)
The Drive - Beautiful Disaster
Record Label: Blasted Records / Independent
Release Date: June 22, 2012

Have you ever caught yourself singing along to a band about ten minutes after you just heard their name? That's the case with The Drive, a band coming in from Poughkeepsie, NY with their debut album "Beautiful Disaster". The album itself consists of ten tracks, which you'll catch yourself singing to two of them right of the bat.

It all starts with "Let it Go" which is a very uplifting song, with catchy lyrical spews, "Oh, Oh, Oh's". The downfall is its lack in the instrument department with common guitar riffs and pounding drums, but makes sense to have them because of the song's meaning and genre. To top that track off they have "Time is Running Against Us", which, in my opinion, is much better. It hits a place in everyone's life with the subject of, No time to do anything, and how it's never on our side. The lyrics, once again, are a major feel to the enjoyment of this song, but with the exception of the instruments this time: They make a much more sensible approach and add on to the emotional appeal of the song. "Undercover Warfare" features a Pop-Rock-ish Vocal and instrument style that doesn't really raise an eyebrow until the Chorus, in my opinion, and the reason behind that is because the chorus and the verses don't sound like they belong together; and with what they do have, the chorus fits in better.

"Beautiful Disaster", the title track, is the height/peak of the album where they slab everything they've got in it. The emotions are flowing and you can hear it in the instruments, and you can feel the vocalist sing from their heart, not a notebook they wrote it in. Next Up is "Stories", which is the start of an aggressive, yet happy sound. The vocalist is stating how everything was great and she wants to be reminded of the memories. "Fight Song" is song that caught my attention, despite my dislike for the way it was sung. Once again, the lyrics play a major role in the emotional appeal, and the instruments do nothing, but add on to that feeling.

"Summer's Long Gone" is an acoustic song, that I find most appealing from day one. Once again, it's one of those summer song's you would sing your heart out to. And that's exactly what it is about, in my opinion. "Ahoy Matey! (Blackbeard)" is an instrumental, which is an aggressive, yet powerful song. I couldn't help, but put it on repeat, I respected it's instrumentals so much. "Without You" is just another poppy song about love and loss. I can't really say much, but this was my least favorite on this album: I disliked the vocals, the instrumental delivery, and the lyrics were just generic. And it ends with "This Song's for You", which powerfully ends the album keeping you in need for more.

I don't really know what say besides... I loved this album, but for some reason it just seemed Uncreative to me; like it had already been done a thousand times, but caught my attention just like the other nine hundred and ninety-nine. Overall, the album is a great buy, and definitely worth a couple spins. Even though it lacks in the creativity department, it excels in the re-playability department. Who wouldn't want an album they can listen to for a while nowadays? They're rare to come by.

Thanks, Michael Crouse

Track Listing:
1. Let it Go
2. Time is Running against Us
3. Undercover Warfare
4. Beautiful Disaster
5. Stories
6. Fight Song
7. Summer's Long Gone
8. Ahoy Matey! (Black Beard)
9. Without You
10. This Song's for You

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6.
03:08 PM on 03/02/13
justsurrendrfan
jsfan
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Fantastic album. Great review man!
Awesome band, everyone should check them out
07:26 PM on 03/02/13
guitarist5477
User Info.
Listend to this album and its absolutely amazing. The reviewer did a good job of summing up the album as a whole and it definitely has a lot of replay value. The only thing I disagree with the reviewer is when they said it "lacks in the creativity department." In my opinion the album shows a lot of creativity as well as diversity.
09:55 AM on 03/03/13
mattplayscheap
plays with squirrels
User Info.
played with this band a bit ago. they have potential
10:08 AM on 03/03/13
tortags
Stuck Like Ghosts Made to Disappear
User Info.
I Actually was requested to do this album review. I'm glad I was, because I actually love being able to listen to a band and get busy, and not have the urge to quit what I am doing to change the Band/Album/Song.
12:51 PM on 03/03/13
justsurrendrfan
jsfan
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Listend to this album and its absolutely amazing. The reviewer did a good job of summing up the album as a whole and it definitely has a lot of replay value. The only thing I disagree with the reviewer is when they said it "lacks in the creativity department." In my opinion the album shows a lot of creativity as well as diversity.

I agree this was one of my favorite albums of the year. I know members of the band and they are really awesome dudes(and girl), Seeing them live on april 14th in kingston, ny. So stoked. Everyone should come check them out.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests