Password
This Thread is Closed.

03:44 PM on 03/03/13 
User Info.
Eich696
Amaro Jr.
South Jersey
Male - 24 Years Old
How is it bullshit? It's the same thing that has happened to everyone else in the league.
03:46 PM on 03/03/13 
User Info.
cryates
User Title
Rossville, Georgia
Male - 26 Years Old
The kid is great but needs to wait for his raise just like everyone else.
04:24 PM on 03/03/13 
User Info.
RonStoppable
yeezy season approachin
Detroit, MI
Male - 22 Years Old
But theres been a precedent. This article lists two cases: Derek Jeter getting a raise from $130K to $550K and Pujols got a raise from $200K to $600K. Both of these occurred after Pujols and Jeter had one season in the major leagues.

The Angels could name any price at all. It's a negotiation, but in the end, they get to name any price they want. In the end, it won't affect Trout's play, however, isn't it just worth the extra dollars to give him a $200K raise or something of that ilk for perhaps the greatest rookie season ever?

And this says nothing of the fact that Major League Baseball has about twice the amount of revenue of the NHL yet every single player in the NHL will make more than Trout as their league minimum is $525K with half the revenue. That would indicate that MLB's starting salaries are far too low..

And that says nothing of the fact that sports awards almost all power, unilaterally, to the teams. From the draft where players have no say where they go or their price to situations like this and the six years of service time.

quoting because I agree and there's a bigger issue than just Trout's case specifically. "That's the way it's always been for everyone else" doesn't mean it's fair and he has no right to be upset.
04:33 PM on 03/03/13 
User Info.
Eich696
Amaro Jr.
South Jersey
Male - 24 Years Old
Just read bigmikes post and I agree to an extent, but trout will have his payday soon enough.

Must suck to make 500,000+ a year
04:47 PM on 03/03/13 
User Info.
SamuelJLast
What's Yahoo Screen?
Ipswich, UK
Male - 28 Years Old
John Blake ‏@RangerBlake
Martin Perez sustains a fracture of ulna bone in left forearm after being hit by line drive in 6th of today's game vs. Seattle.

I guess the media get to write about how the Rangers need to sign Lohse now.
05:54 PM on 03/03/13 
User Info.
rcrook
Damage Control
11:10 AM on 03/04/13 
User Info.
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
Seattle, WA
Male - 30 Years Old
Staff Member
we really don't know what happened with trout anyways. maybe his agent asked for some unprecedented raise in the 2nd year and the angels refused, offered him 600k or whatever. agent refused right back, and they stalemated. so angels just decided to renew the deal because they have 100% of the leverage and agent looks like a whiny bitch.
11:35 AM on 03/04/13 
User Info.
rcrook
Damage Control
Trout has taken the high road during this whole thing or maybe he just deferred to his agent to do all the complaining.
11:48 AM on 03/04/13 
User Info.
CubbyNick42
@NickDevlin
Atlanta, GA
Male - 28 Years Old
Doug, Scott and Nick, here's my thoughts on the questions about whether prospects should be brought up earlier:

I immediately think you must differentiate between pitchers and hitters. Some research suggest that velocity is one of the earliest-peaking baseball skills. Obviously, there's a zillion more things to pitching, but I think pitchers should be pushed aggressively and the first sign that they're getting the pitching aspect of things down, they should move towards the bullpen and transition into starting (like the Twins did with Johan thought I don't know if that was their plan or if it just worked out that way).

Like Scott, I'm all for club control. I think hitters should stay longer in the minors than normal unless they can give you value in other, non-batting ways (plus defenders, good on the base paths, etc). If they're projecting to be average in those categories, I wait for the bat because power peaks later in the 20's for hitters. So, I'd rather get their power peaks for as cheap as possible.

For instance, I think Jim Thome blocking Ryan Howard was a great thing for the Phillies. They got Howards peak and if they dont sign him to that terrible contract extension, it would've worked out perfectly.

Obviously, there's other things to consider (team profile, free agent market, etc etc), but that's my theory in general.
I agree with pretty much all of that. It's generally a waste to have even blue chip hitters up before they're 23.
01:41 PM on 03/04/13 
User Info.
rcrook
Damage Control
TrippingOlney cracks me up

http://trippingolney.com/2013/03/04/...eview-al-west/
02:18 PM on 03/04/13 
User Info.
ForlrnPerplxity
Call me Brosnan
Everywhere
Male - 28 Years Old
Trout has taken the high road during this whole thing or maybe he just deferred to his agent to do all the complaining.
I'm sorry, I just can't give a shit about an agent complaining about a guy making $510,000 one year in the league. Trout is going to get the most insane contract of all time, sooner rather than later. He can soak his agent's tears in all of those green bills. In the meantime, let him go find the world's smallest violin.
02:19 PM on 03/04/13 
User Info.
CubbyNick42
@NickDevlin
Atlanta, GA
Male - 28 Years Old
Holy shit. I did not know he had a blog.
02:20 PM on 03/04/13 
User Info.
rcrook
Damage Control
Holy shit. I did not know he had a blog.

me neither. i think most parody accounts are dumb but I just love TrippingOlney. whoever does it does a great job.
02:24 PM on 03/04/13 
User Info.
bigmike
...is "big" and "mike"
Portage, Michigan
Male - 28 Years Old
Trout will get a monster deal. You know, assuming he doesn't Grady Sizemore himself while playing a demanding defensive position.
03:00 PM on 03/04/13 
User Info.
CubbyNick42
@NickDevlin
Atlanta, GA
Male - 28 Years Old
me neither. i think most parody accounts are dumb but I just love TrippingOlney. whoever does it does a great job.
Yep, agreed. It's a great concept, but they've done an awesome job of keeping it interesting.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos