Username
Password

11:49 PM on 03/20/13 
User Info.
iamthealex
Meet me in Montauk.
Wiscompton
Male - 22 Years Old
Can't decide between reading The Road or Devil In The White City next. Someone pick for me.
01:05 AM on 03/21/13 
User Info.
mrnegativezero
You wanted to set the world on fire
Southern California
Male - 22 Years Old
Can't decide between reading The Road or Devil In The White City next. Someone pick for me.

The Road was one of my favorite novels in high school. A really gritty and nicely portrayed look at post-apocalypse. Looking back on it I still enjoyed it a lot. But McCarthy's writing style in that really took some time to get used to. I haven't heard of the The Devil in the White City.

Speaking of post-apocalypse, I finished Gathering Blue by Lowis Lowry the other day. It's a companion piece to the Giverand it shows Lowry's evolution as a writer for sure. A bit denser as a story compared to the Giver. By that I mean the plot is bigger focus (as opposed to the exploration of Jonas' community). It ranks up there with the Giver when it comes to adolescent dystopian futures and it certainly makes me interested in the more direct sequels (in a way I felt this novel to be a bridge to whatever Lowry wrote next).
01:28 AM on 03/21/13 
User Info.
PAPER R1VAL
#YANKS
No Avatar Selected
South Carolina
Male - 25 Years Old

I've read both.

The Road and it's not even close. ...and I really enjoyed The Devil in the White City.
03:58 PM on 03/21/13 
User Info.
iamthealex
Meet me in Montauk.
Wiscompton
Male - 22 Years Old
Cormac McCarthy's The Road.
11:13 AM on 03/22/13 
User Info.
whitelightning7
Registered Member
Hays, KS
Male - 22 Years Old

Definitely The Road.
11:13 AM on 03/22/13 
User Info.
whitelightning7
Registered Member
Hays, KS
Male - 22 Years Old
It took me 2 months to read the first 200 pages. Then I got to the twist and finished the last 200 pages in a day haha. Shame it took so long for the book to really gain momentum, but the last half was good.

It took me a long time to get into the book, but once I got to the twist, I couldn't put the book down.
06:41 PM on 03/22/13 
User Info.
ecartman(>< )
Denim
Radiate Positivity
Male - 26 Years Old
I'm reading Bright Lights, Big City. Has anyone read a novel like this, which is in second person narrative? The main character is referred to as "you."
07:40 PM on 03/22/13 
User Info.
iamthealex
Meet me in Montauk.
Wiscompton
Male - 22 Years Old
Finished The Road today. It was pretty good.
01:12 AM on 03/23/13 
User Info.
BornUnderPunches
I am not a dirty god
--------------------
Male
Was planning on reading A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man after finishing Freedom but was really intimidated because my copy is about 500 pages and the only Joyce I've read is Dubliners which is quite short. Not until today when I actually open my copy of Portrait... did I notice that the actual text is less than half that. Now I feel both stupid and relieved
01:14 AM on 03/23/13 
User Info.
BornUnderPunches
I am not a dirty god
--------------------
Male
I'm reading Bright Lights, Big City. Has anyone read a novel like this, which is in second person narrative? The main character is referred to as "you."

If On A Winters Night a Traveler by Italo Calvino is, I believe (if not all then at least part of it). I haven't read it but my cousin raves about it any chance he gets
04:56 AM on 03/23/13 
User Info.
Ruthie3ondeau
No Avatar Selected
The other was The Social Network by Aaron Sorkin and it is fantastic.
10:09 AM on 03/23/13 
User Info.
Shakriel
I just need reassurance.
Arizona
Male - 27 Years Old
Was planning on reading A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man after finishing Freedom but was really intimidated because my copy is about 500 pages and the only Joyce I've read is Dubliners which is quite short. Not until today when I actually open my copy of Portrait... did I notice that the actual text is less than half that. Now I feel both stupid and relieved
Portrait is the only one I've read so far, since it was for a class, and I really enjoyed it. Ulysses sits on my bookshelf, always waiting and always watching.
11:07 AM on 03/23/13 
User Info.
cshadows2887
Boston, MA
Male - 27 Years Old
Verified
Starting Ragtime by E.L. Doctorow this weekend.
11:11 AM on 03/23/13 
User Info.
BornUnderPunches
I am not a dirty god
--------------------
Male
Portrait is the only one I've read so far, since it was for a class, and I really enjoyed it. Ulysses sits on my bookshelf, always waiting and always watching.

I was going to read Ulysses after Dubliners but my English teacher said to read them in order so here I am
11:12 AM on 03/23/13 
User Info.
BornUnderPunches
I am not a dirty god
--------------------
Male
Starting Ragtime by E.L. Doctorow this weekend.

Being an English major you had to have at least read some Joyce, yes? Have you ever tried to take on Finnegans Wake?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos