AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Lower Than Atlantis - Changing Tune Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 8.75
Production 8.75
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 88%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 8.5
Production 9.25
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 9
Average: 88%
Inside AP.net

Lower Than Atlantis - Changing Tune

Reviewed by: GetUpAndrew (03/16/13)
Lower Than Atlantis - Changing Tune
Record label: Island Records
Release date: October 1st, 2012

After a raw and caustic debut EP, Bretton, two acclaimed full lengths, Far Q and World Record, which both leaned toward a hybrid of high-energy punk rock anthems and post-hardcore sonorities, departing from the previous hardcore Gallows-esque sound, and then signing with Island Records, in October 2012 the Watford, UK based outfit Lower Than Atlantis released third full length and major label debut Changing Tune, a collection of 12 tracks (plus 5 bonus tracks on the deluxe version of the album) that is the best material this band has released so far. This was not only one of my favorite records of the past year, but it also became the soundtrack of these last five months of my own life(I’m still listening to it at least once a day), providing the background music to a long, bittersweet winter, to endless train journeys going to university, to sleepless nights breathing cold air and cigarettes, while talking with my mates about “hearts, lies and friends” (all rights belong to Fall Out Boy).

The huge progression this band has made since their early beginnings is clearly evident. And with their new record, the guys in Lower Than Atlantis finally achieve to create a brand new sound, unique and distinctive, while maintaining all the characteristic trademarks that they showed us in their past efforts. The band took the grungy guitar riffing, the irresistible catchiness and the personal life-related lyrics of World Record, and blended them in all in a musical amalgam that is the ideal link between the unconditional and declared love of the band for the ‘90s rock music and the recent wave of up and coming bands from Great Britain. Changing Tune is a kaleidoscope of sounds and styles, in which the aforementioned passion of lead singer, lyricist and rhythm guitarist Mike Duce and his talented bandmates for the Nineties is unequivocal and recognizable: Foo Fighters, of course, with their guitar driven hooks and their unforgettable sing-along choruses, are one of the biggest influences of the band; but there are also cross-references to the Smashing Pumpkins Siamese Dream-era. This grunge-influenced sound, somewhat similar to contemporaries Basement or Balance & Composure, is filled with pop punk/rock-tinged reminiscences that bring to mind Deaf Havana, Mallory Knox or the last We Are The Ocean record, and even a certain experimentalist yet catchy vein that resembles Twin Atlantic or some Biffy Clyro songs.

“Prologue” starts the record with Mike Duce singing over acoustic chords and rhythmical drums, then this intro song suddenly explodes and turns into a sensational arena rock number, leading us to one of the best songs on the record, the fast-paced single “Love Someone Else”. The chorus of this short, pop punk-infused anthem will be stuck on your brains for weeks, while Eddy Thrower absolutely kills it on this one with his blasting drumming. Third track “Move Along” is another highlight of the album: the guitars’ weaving of both Mike Duce and lead guitarist Ben Samson, and the crunchy bass lines provided by Declan Hart, drive us to a massive chorus. The shortest song on Changing Tune, the catchy “Wars With Words”, lead us to the fifth track and fourth single taken from the album, the fantastic “Go On Strike”, which is my favorite song on the entire record, a perfectly balanced mix between ’90s-flavored riffing and bursting pop punk melodies. The acoustic ballad “Scared Of The Dark” slows down the pace, as Mike Duce shows off his improved vocal skills and duets with a soaring female voice. I’m pretty sure that this softer side of Lower Than Atlantis will please fans of the emotional “Another Sad Song”, from their previous release World Record. The following couple of songs are probably the most grunge-ish tracks on Changing Tune: the lysergic, psychedelic “Normally Strange” with its thick guitar riffs and its earthshaking ending, and the Foo Fighters-esque “Something Better Came Along”, which could have been easily on The Colour And The Shape. And while eleventh track “I Know A Song That Will Get On Your Nerves” reminds me at times of Four Year Strong’s In Some Way, Shape Or Form, in “PMA”, “Cool Kids” and album closer “Showtime”, respectively ninth, tenth and twelfth track of the album, the band combine the sound of World Record with the ‘90s references spread all over their new album. The deluxe version gives us five brilliant bonus tracks, including the addicting first single “If The World Was To End”, and a personal favorite, “Counting Sheep” (which features one of the best and most intense choruses that this band has ever written).

With the release of Changing Tune, Lower Than Atlantis really stepped up their game, and now they are ready to break into the mainstream with an effort that will consolidate their fanbase and win a larger audience. Call it neo-grunge, call it alternative-punk-with-hints-of-melodic-hardcore, call it whatever you want; this is, for me, a great rock record, free from stereotypes, that transcends the boundaries between genres creating a fresh and completely distinctive sound.

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
07:10 AM on 03/23/13
Erik Bihl
I Like Music
User Info.
Love this album :)
03:42 PM on 03/26/13
Oddman
Used register
User Info.
I'm really enjoying this album. I had to buy the Deluxe edition, because it was "If the world was to end" that got me into this band in the first place.
02:58 AM on 04/01/13
Erik Bihl
I Like Music
User Info.
I'm really enjoying this album. I had to buy the Deluxe edition, because it was "If the world was to end" that got me into this band in the first place.

Was the DVD any good? Wanted to get this for a while.
08:01 AM on 04/02/13
Oddman
Used register
User Info.
Was the DVD any good? Wanted to get this for a while.
It's just your standard band documentary, in which they tell their story, show some on-the-road and behind-the-scenes footage and the making of the album. I didn't really care too much for it, but I think if you're really into this band it's a nice 45 minute view behind the scenes.
01:57 AM on 04/03/13
Erik Bihl
I Like Music
User Info.
It's just your standard band documentary, in which they tell their story, show some on-the-road and behind-the-scenes footage and the making of the album. I didn't really care too much for it, but I think if you're really into this band it's a nice 45 minute view behind the scenes.
Ok. Thank you for the response!
Options
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums