AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Dear Hunter, The - An Escape Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8.5
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 86%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 9.13
Production 8.75
Creativity 8.88
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Average: 89%
Inside AP.net

Dear Hunter, The - An Escape

Reviewed by: justbradley (03/24/13)
The Dear Hunter Ė An Escape - Single
Record Label: Equal Vision Records
Release Date: March 5th 2013

RI indie outfit The Dear Hunter is not a band that Iím all too familiar with; in 2011, I was introduced to them through their last record The Color Spectrum, which I actually quite enjoyed, but have not listened to in years. So, when I found out the band released a new single from upcoming Migrant, I was VERY excited to listen to it. I decided to download the track on iTunes, because I knew I would enjoy it quite a bit. Well, I was right, because I do enjoy it. I donít have a long backstory with the band, so thereís not much in terms of an anecdote, but for face value, new single ďAn EscapeĒ is anything but. I certainly do not want to escape this track. While I have not listened to the band in a while, this track doesnít disappoint, because in a way, itís exactly what I expected Ė very intelligent, and rather experimental, indie-rock. Vocalist Casey Crescenzo has a fantastic voice that carries the song very well, and ultimately, itís the best part of the track. That leads me to the one complaint I have with the track Ė itís kind of repetitive. Not in a terrible way, but it doesnít really do a whole lot in the span of 3-and-a-half minutes. It doesnít go anywhere, per se. The instrumentation is what suffers here. Itís not that itís awful, and in fact, the chorus is quite boisterous, but thatís the extent of where it goes. The verses are pretty good, but the song just sounds the same throughout. I kept expecting the track to build up to a crescendo, but it ultimately didnít, and it was a bit disappointing. Regardless, though, this is a nice track, and you canít deny that. Crescenzoís voice is the star here, and thereís also no denying that. If this track did one thing for me, itís that Iím excited for whatever else is on this record, because this is a nice track, but I highly doubt it will be the best one on the record.

Recommended If You Like The Receiving End of Sirens, City & Colour, Circa Survive, etc, etc.

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. An Escape

The Dear Hunter is:
Casey Crescenzo Ė vocals, piano, guitar, and bass
Nick Crescenzo Ė drums, percussion, vocals

www.facebook.com/therealTDH

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4.
08:47 AM on 03/30/13
brook183
@brooks_an
User Info.
One of the best tracks on an amazing album.
09:45 AM on 03/30/13
CPF--FBR
@ConnorMEB | Mind Equals Blown
User Info.
They're not from RI.
05:39 PM on 03/31/13
BrickWall Views
Drew
User Info.
So ready for this album
Options
More From This Author