Password

Album Review

Some Stranger- Some Stranger EP Album Cover

Some Stranger- Some Stranger EP

Reviewed by
Some Stranger - Some Stranger EP
Release Date: April 2, 2013
Record Label: Self-Released
When Daytrader broke up last year, it was hard to not wonder what if? The band showed so much potential on its debut full-length Twelve Years, it seemed as if it would be around for years to come. I know I had a good feeling that Daytrader would someday become one of the most important bands in our little “scene,” so when the members parted ways, I couldn’t help but worry whether they would sink into obscurity or continue their music careers separately. Thankfully, the latter appears to be true for ex-Daytrader front man Tym, whose debut EP with his new project, Some Stranger, is every bit as good, if not better, than Daytrader’s swan song.

This is evident from the EP’s outset, as “On and On” is a song that emanates the same passion and aggression that made Twelve Years so good. Only this time, the dial is turned way up—the song sounds urgent and crisp, thanks in part to the outstanding production work by Gary Cioffi. Guitarist Daniel Danger, meanwhile, creates a dark and engaging atmosphere throughout the entirety of the disc, especially on the more patient cuts like “Silver and the Sun.”

But it’s really Tym who steals the show here, with a vocal performance which somehow melds the style of iconic vocalists such as Ben Gibbard and Nate Ruess and adds a more aggressive tone, making for a unique listen. His lyrics are also top-notch, with melancholy but level-headed sentiments which really allow the album to hit home on a personal level: “we’re not all gonna see fortune, fame, and obviously 
you’re hoping that it’s something, but some roads lead to nothing.”

The best thing about the Some Stranger EP is the fact that it’s just a mere teaser of the band’s unique brand of dark pop punk. They’re just getting started, and it puts a huge smile on my face to hear this much potential in a debut release. So give this EP a listen now and be ahead of the curve—Some Stranger is bound to do great things over the course of what we can only hope will be a long and successful career.

9/10

Recommended If You LikeDaytrader, Circa Survive

Buy It Here
This review is a user submitted review from jordalsh. You can see all of jordalsh's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
01:34 PM on 04/30/13
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
Great stuff. Better than 12 Years, easily.
01:04 AM on 05/02/13
gameboyman5
Rockin!!
User Info.
i didnt love his vocals in daytrader but hes a perfect fit here
03:07 PM on 05/02/13
Grindlord
The lord of Grindcore and Metalcore
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I think this album is definitely a good listen.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos