AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Those Old Bones - 05.28.13

Interviewed by
Those Old Bones - 05.28.13Those Old Bones is a new musical project from Ryan DePaolo and Ryan Kienle of Matchbook Romance.

1. Introduce yourself and your role in the band.

Ryan DePaolo - Vocalist/Guitarist of Those Old Bones
Ryan Kienle - Bassist for Those Old Bones

2. Give us a little background on the band. How did you form?

(RK) Ryan and I have actually been playing together since before he joined The Getaway (the name MR signed to Epitaph under). Sometime early last year, longtime friend/promoter Jeff Menig approached me about Matchbook Romance reuniting for the Glamour Kills Holiday Fest in Poughkeepsie and we set out to play our hometown in December. A few months prior, Ryan DePaolo came up to NY from Florida for a few months and stayed at my place. One thing led to another, and we found ourselves with a handful of songs with no outlet. So began Those Old Bones.

3. Is TOB an extension of MR and The Getaway? Or is this completely different? Has the dynamic of being in a band changed?

(RD) It is completely different from The Getaway and MR. While it does share some similarities, I wouldn't call it an extension. Its something new that we wanted to do because we love making music, its fun and it was a great opportunity for us to do it together.

(RK) The dynamic has definitely changed while certain things remain the same with this project. Ryan and I have always had great chemistry and a common sound. However, unlike in the past, Those Old Bones is currently just the two of us. It has a "less cooks in the kitchen" feel which has been very liberating. Especially since we see eye to eye on so much.

4. What have you learned from the MR and The Getaway days that you'll apply to TOB?

(RK) We learned so much from our time spent together in MR. From huge things like understanding how Publishing and licensing works, all the way down to small stuff like how to be handed a guitar properly on stage for the quickest swap. It really was a lifetime of knowledge packed into 5 years.

(RD) I definitely learned a lot about songwriting from my time in Matchbook. I learned how important it is for a song to have a strong melody, and how to write parts for the sake of the song, not the musician.

5. So what's going on with TOB right now? What are you guys up to?

(RK) At the moment, Ryan and I are holed up in an overly inspiring neighborhood in Jacksonville, FL working on our second batch of songs, filming a bunch of video content and scheming for the future.

(RD) Yeah, we've been working on creating our image and putting ourselves in the right position for opportunity. I've been focusing as much as I can on writing, trying to create the best songs that I can. It's been a lot of fun to really express myself as a songwriter and as a singer.

6. So what's the direction you're going for with TOB?

(RK) One thing we really wanted to retain from MR was having an eclectic sound. The focus is undoubtedly Rock with punk and grunge roots, but the goal is to write music we love and believe in without restriction. That's important you know? I wouldn't want to see us a year from now having people tear us a new one for going in a certain direction. We were never stifled in the past and we aren't about to start being now.

7. What's the plan going for TOB? What do you guys have planned in the near future?

(RD) We are getting to ready to release another song called All Ages. I wrote the song last summer before I went to New York. Its about taking chances and having dreams. We recorded it at Nada earlier this year, its in the mixing process right now, and it will be available in early June.

8. Where can people check you guys out

People can download our first 3 tracks for free at http://thoseoldbones.bandcamp.com/ and stop in for regular updates on our Instagram, Twitter and/or Facebook.

Instagram.com/ThoseOldBones
Twitter.com/ThoseOldBones
Facebook.com/ThoseOldBones

9. Anything else you want to say?

(RD) I'd just like to thank the guys that played with us and helped make this happen - Aaron Stern, Fred Mascherino, John Naclerio, Stephen Conley and Steve Miller. And of course our families and friends for their love and support.

(RK) Without their help and the support of our fans, we really wouldn't have been able to get to where we are in such a short period of time. We are truly grateful for their contributions and constant encouragement to follow our hearts.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
08:36 AM on 05/28/13
no0ubis
User Info.
Good stuff :D

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT