AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Safe To Say - With Everything In Between Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 7.5
Production 7.5
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 7.5
Final Verdict: 75%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.83
Musicianship 8.67
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8.17
Creativity 8.67
Lasting Value 5.58
Reviewer Tilt 8.58
Average: 81%
Inside AP.net

Safe To Say - With Everything In Between

Reviewed by: Ryan Gardner (06/11/13)
Safe To SayWith Everything In Between
Record Label: Self-released
Release Date: June 1, 2013

It’s hard to label Safe To Say’s debut record, With Everything In Between, with a genre. The record blends a lot together – pop-punk, some emo influences, and bit of hardcore and grunge…something like that. Nonetheless, this record remains short and to the point – there’s definitely no filler or fluff. In fact, the majority of these tracks clock in around the two minute marker, and the whole record only comes to a little over twenty minutes.

Frontman Brad Garcia’s anger is apparent from the get go on “Bleed,” as he sings, “My father’s on my shoulders / Reminding me of who I am / But I’m torn between who I hate more / Is it me or him” over punk-infused guitar tones. Immediately, we step into what this record is – loud, fast, and angry. Furthering this movement, tracks like the “Trip,” “Heavy Eyes,” and the thirty second dosage of hardcore that is “Funeral” let bassist Josh Hicke grab the mic for awhile, carrying the angry sound of bands like Such Gold as he wails. Cleary, there’s some heavier music somewhere in this band’s influences, and it comes out here and there throughout these songs.

The best track on the record comes early with “Nothing Gold.” A meaty bass line pulses throughout the track, while Garcia’s delivery of “From what I know / Things have to freeze / Every time it snows outside” proves to be one of the most memorable moments on the record. The track starts off upbeat but then slows down for a few measures, when all of the sudden Garcia comes in at full force to deliver it. Later, the somber “Half Asleep” and grainier “Bed Ridden” employ grunge-tinged distorted guitars while relying on a prevalent bass to sound more like Turnover than The Story So Far. It’s a completely different than the pop-punk feel of the earlier tracks, inevitably making this band very hard to categorize.

It’s hard to believe ten tracks can go by so quickly yet pull from so many different influences. However, the good thing about this is the diverse fanbase it will bring, as this is an album that should appeal to many types of music fans. There’s a grunge influence on the guitars. There’s a hardcore influence on vocal pieces. There’s some pop-punk in some choruses. Some emo in all of it. For just a debut record, Safe To Say’s With Everything In Between tears down any and all genre boundaries with no hesitation, second guesses, or looking back. All roads head forward from here.

7.5/10

Recommended If You LikeThe Story So Far, Turnover, Such Gold – something like that
Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. Bleed
2. Trip
3. Nothing Gold
4. Spun
5. Half Asleep
6. Heavy Eyes
7. Like Daisies
8. Bed Ridden
9. Funeral
10. Once In A While

Safe To Say is:
Brad Garcia – Vocals
Jesse North – Guitar
Travis Morrison – Guitar
Josh Hicke – Bass, Vocals
Terrance Pettitt – Drums

Facebook | Streaming

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 17
11:47 PM on 06/11/13
fly_guy
End in sight, we must fight
User Info.
This record is great. Doesn't really sound like Turnover or Such Gold though.
02:46 AM on 06/12/13
touchdownboi
Bob Calwell
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Loved the record. Reminded me of Floral Green. The review kind of makes it sound like you didn't really give much attention to the record. Just kind of sounds like you didn't really care with the review, especially by ending the review with "Yeah, all roads point forward from here." I usually enjoy your reviews, but this one doesn't look like there was much care put into it.

Just some constructive criticism, I guess. My apologies if I offend.
07:55 AM on 06/12/13
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Loved the record. Reminded me of Floral Green. The review kind of makes it sound like you didn't really give much attention to the record. Just kind of sounds like you didn't really care with the review, especially by ending the review with "Yeah, all roads point forward from here." I usually enjoy your reviews, but this one doesn't look like there was much care put into it.

Just some constructive criticism, I guess. My apologies if I offend.
I found this record to be oddly hard for me to review since I couldn't really like...place all the songs/their influences. I feel like the songs are very dense and contain pop-punk at points while also incorporating some hardcore influences in the same song, so it made it really hard for me to write about it. The record is great, but it was hard for me to describe due to all of the different styles blended into one. I've listened to it a good 20 times since having it and spin it daily cause I really enjoy it, but in all honesty, it was very hard to write about due to all that, so I suppose the review suffers. Not to mention, the whole album is pretty much the length of an EP time-wise, with each song only being under 3 minutes, so obviously the review wasn't going to be super long.
08:40 AM on 06/12/13
jorbjorb
User Info.
why the hell is it trendy to sound like a 90's grunge band now?

title fight floral green was the first now everyones copying this shit.

turnover
safe to say
citizen
09:24 AM on 06/12/13
ZachCTC
Accept the pain, always forgive.
User Info.

turnover
safe to say
citizen
Who cares, this is a good album. So are the new Citizen and Turnover albums. So is Floral Green. So is Daylight's 'Jar'.
09:56 AM on 06/12/13
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
Hmmm, Valencia has a song called "Safe to Say" and a song called "The Space Between."
10:17 AM on 06/12/13
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.

turnover
safe to say
citizen
floral green was FAR from the first.
10:57 AM on 06/12/13
Max_123
@HeyMaxSup
User Info.
picked up this CD from bandcamp a few days ago and i enjoy it quite a bit, my only complaint is how short it is haha
11:03 AM on 06/12/13
Trashcore
lower lifes
User Info.
I found this record to be oddly hard for me to review since I couldn't really like...place all the songs/their influences. I feel like the songs are very dense and contain pop-punk at points while also incorporating some hardcore influences in the same song, so it made it really hard for me to write about it. The record is great, but it was hard for me to describe due to all of the different styles blended into one. I've listened to it a good 20 times since having it and spin it daily cause I really enjoy it, but in all honesty, it was very hard to write about due to all that, so I suppose the review suffers. Not to mention, the whole album is pretty much the length of an EP time-wise, with each song only being under 3 minutes, so obviously the review wasn't going to be super long.
Not trying to be rude, but...that sounds pretty easy to write about. You can review something without citing influences. It' called critiquing whats infront of you, not whats around you.
11:08 AM on 06/12/13
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
Not trying to be rude, but...that sounds pretty easy to write about. You can review something without citing influences. It' called critiquing whats infront of you, not whats around you.
understanding what's around you gives you better insight to what's in front of you.
11:12 AM on 06/12/13
jorbjorb
User Info.
floral green was FAR from the first.
Well ya. The first is probably some garbage like nirvana or silverchair
11:28 AM on 06/12/13
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
I understand that, which is why I have many times and why that part - reviewing something citing influences - was a VERY small part of that explanation and in no reason the full reason as to why I had difficultly. Read the rest of my paragraph and not just the first sentence.
03:37 PM on 06/12/13
modmodmodified
modmodmodified
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i like this album. this was a good read too.
03:55 PM on 06/12/13
drewinseries
Fight to get it back again.
User Info.
Well ya. The first is probably some garbage like nirvana or silverchair
Garbage?
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates