AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Donít Call It A Comeback - Telescopes EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 7
Production 7
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 7
Final Verdict: 70%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Donít Call It A Comeback - Telescopes EP

Reviewed by: Ryan Gardner (06/25/13)
Donít Call It A Comeback Ė Telescopes EP
Record Label: None
Release Date: June 25, 2013

At this point, not a lot of new pop-punk bands really hit me that hard. In regards to new pop-punk bands, I think Light Years is the only band this year thatís really come out of left field and hit home for me. Still, Iíll be the first to admit that I enjoy pop-punk music, and thereís something about Donít Call It A Comebackís new EP, Telescopes, that just works for me. Sure, itís not an EP that will revolutionize anything or change the genre at all, but Iím playing these six songs nice and loud, and theyíre reminding me of growing up with this kind of music.

The long-titled ďTo Save His Sanity (He Fell in Love With The Sound)Ē starts Telescopes off at a full out sprint. These tracks are filled with lyrics that listeners my age are bound to relate to, including on the opener when vocalist Cody Almond belts out, ďI said a lot of things that I didnít mean / I was a stupid kid just looking for answers / Any excuse I could find to leaveĒ before the guitars trade in and out. On ďNever Really Alone,Ē the guitars become distant as Almond croons, ďThis year has burnt a hole in me and everybody / Iíve watched most of my friends give up and walk away.Ē Iím pretty sure that line will hit home with a handful of teenagers and young college kids, as well.

Something about Almondís nasally voice just works well with these types of lyrics, the fast-paced guitars, and constantly pounding drums, which shouldnít come as a surprise since weíve seen this work a thousand times before with The Starting Line and New Found Glory just to name a couple. Arguably the best example of this comes on ďEverybodyís Scared.Ē Just when you think the song is staying mid-tempo due to the unhurried bass, Almond quickly comes out of nowhere and cuts Marven Mendozaís soft words off with the anxious proclamation of ďAll my friends are high / I feel so alone in this crowded room.Ē This tempo change occurs in an instant, making sure the angst rings through. Itís nothing too crazy, but it works and sticks with you. The final ďEverestĒ employs similar methods to keep your ear for over five minutes, using different guitar speeds and drum measures to build the song up, slow it down, and build it up again.

I realize Donít Call It A Comeback arenít breaking any genre boundaries here, and they probably wonít replace any of your long time favorite pop-punk bands on your list. However, Iím okay with that. This is a band I see sharing a stage with Real Friends, getting added to a Cartel tour, or opening for Valencia if they were still around. These songs are simple and pretty safe, but Iím still cranking them up. If youíre looking for a new pop-punk band to crank up in your car this summer or blast by the pool, give Telescopes a spin.

7/10

Recommended If You LikeThe Starting Line; Real Friends; Valencia; Cartel
Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. To Save His Sanity (He Fell in Love With The Sound)
2. Never Really Alone
3. Everybodyís Scared
4. No Good Thing Ever Dies
5. Take What You Can
6. Everest

Donít Call It A Comeback is:
Cody Almond Ė Lead Vocals, Guitar
Marven Mendoza Ė Vocals
Andy Morgan Ė Guitar
AJ Patiag Ė Guitar
Nathanial Adams (of Sweatshirt Weather) Ė Drums/Bass on EP but not in the band

Stream/Bandcamp

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
07:41 PM on 06/25/13
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Also, Nate from Sweatshirt Weather not only plays drums/bass on this, but he produced it as well. Couldn't really find a place to mention it, but he did a very fine job in the producer chair.

Streaming: http://causeitsnot.bandcamp.com/
11:27 PM on 06/25/13
cut!print
Keep me simple, unplug my head.
User Info.
Really happy to see someone giving these guys some attention on this site, I love the band and I think Cody is ahead of the Pop-Punk crowd in at least his vocal skills and real lyricism. I definitely agree with you in that this isn't groundbreaking music, but they just keep getting better with each release and could go really far of they kept their solid roots but broke free from the 'just Pop-Punk' sound and focused on multiple genre attempts, sorta like what Valencia did on Dancing With A Ghost. Great review Ryan!
03:37 AM on 06/26/13
GetUpAndrew
The Things We Think We're Missing
User Info.
Great EP, I'm diggin' this a lot.

Also, is their name a reference to Motion City Soundtrack?
09:13 AM on 06/26/13
cubine
www.facebook.com/truthunderattack
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Just booked these dudes for our Indianapolis date, gonna be solid
09:19 AM on 06/26/13
cut!print
User Info.
Great EP, I'm diggin' this a lot.

Also, is their name a reference to Motion City Soundtrack?

More than likely. It would be shocking if if wasn't.
10:09 AM on 06/26/13
NorthstarPark
Jiggin'
User Info.
LL cool J.
10:10 AM on 06/26/13
hoosierbrad
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Just booked these dudes for our Indianapolis date, gonna be solid

I saw them open for the Wonder Years in Indianapolis and I was blown away. Cody is one energetic kid.
10:11 AM on 06/26/13
caraballo
Gnarkill
User Info.
Indy pride! These dudes rule, saw them a year ago opening for The Wonder Years
04:50 PM on 06/26/13
yummybananners
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I saw them open for The Dangerous Summer. They put on a hell of a show. But I must admit, I like their acoustic album, A Little Bit Softer, the best.
08:44 PM on 06/26/13
cut!print
User Info.
I saw them open for The Dangerous Summer. They put on a hell of a show. But I must admit, I like their acoustic album, A Little Bit Softer, the best.

Me too. It's gold.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums