AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review - Page 6
Displaying posts 75 - 90 of 259.
10:52 AM on 07/08/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
It's funny you say it's their worst record.. because right now, TDS' worst attempts would still be better than 80% of the garbage the genre is currently flooding us with. Bring on the shitty TDS tunes, then! :)
What bands do you consider this genre?

Pop-rock? There's some really good stuff out there right now, so I'd disagree.
10:56 AM on 07/08/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
This. I feel like The Wonder Years can get away with it, but The Dangerous Summer really can't.
There's far more diversity on the new TWY album than the new TDS album. I didn't like the earlier WY albums because of the lack of range or tempo on the albums -- it was too normalized -- and they changed that up on their last album enough to keep me interested. TDS' new album tends to get me lost and forget if it's one long song or an album of individual songs, no ebb and flow. No crescendo. Similar "talking the chorus" or way too similar melodies in too many songs stacked next to each other.
11:00 AM on 07/08/13
Oopz
Joe Shick
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I can't wait for this record, sadly, I don't know if in a good way or in a bad way. I loved both Reach For The Sun and War Paint (I got the tree from RFTS tatted) and their music always moves me, but a lot of controversy indeed got me skeptical. Early reviews like this one hopefully will calm my doubt and when the record finally comes out, I'll be able to tell for myself how good it is.

I always thought it would be a cool tattoo to see, care to share a picture of it?
11:04 AM on 07/08/13
TroNiC
User Info.
11:15 AM on 07/08/13
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
I didn't know this was even a thing.
11:16 AM on 07/08/13
Greg
User Info.
I didn't know this was even a thing.
the album?
11:17 AM on 07/08/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Different fanbases with different expectations/standards.

I guess. I've never considered them to be that far apart.

That's the exact reason I'm dying for this record. I just know it's going to be the perfect record for that. I just want to fill my tank and squeeze at least two listens in.

It's not as good for night drives as the last two were, but it's still pretty killer.

There's far more diversity on the new TWY album than the new TDS album. I didn't like the earlier WY albums because of the lack of range or tempo on the albums -- it was too normalized -- and they changed that up on their last album enough to keep me interested. TDS' new album tends to get me lost and forget if it's one long song or an album of individual songs, no ebb and flow. No crescendo. Similar "talking the chorus" or way too similar melodies in too many songs stacked next to each other.

I'd agree that The Greatest Generation is more diverse than Golden Record, but not by much. I appreciate when bands can show off a lot of sonic range in their songwriting, and I feel like The Wonder Years made a move toward that for the first time with this latest release. The first half of The Greatest Generation is damn near spotless, and balances the soft and loud dynamics of the band perfectly. The second half loses steam, either with songs that didn't need to be on the record because they don't fit ("Madelyn") or with the kind of monotony they've struggled with in the past. I mean, you can call that album diverse all you want, but they still manage to have a reprise of just about every song on the record during the closer, and none of the interpolations sound unnatural or stretched.

Golden Record benefits from being shorter and leaner. And I can see how parts of it can blend together for you, but certainly not the whole album. "Catholic Girls" sounds nothing like "Knives," which sounds nothing like "Anchor." There's definitely a crescendo from point A to point B to point C, and I feel like it reaches its climax naturally. I'd actually argue that it's a more versatile album than War Paint was, something I think is ultimately to its detriment because the flow isn't as good.
11:19 AM on 07/08/13
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
you really need to listen to the second wonder years record again. there's plenty of variations on there. "i won't say the lord's prayer" serves as that album's "devil in my bloodstream."
BlinkAvAfan21
She calls it a mayonegg.
User Info.
This. I feel like The Wonder Years can get away with it, but The Dangerous Summer really can't.
Exactly.
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
jason already said this, but yeah i think the wonder years record shows a lot more versatility. then again, i think they show more versatility than just about any band in the pop-punk world
11:21 AM on 07/08/13
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
yeah, I didn't hear a thing about it until now. really odd.
11:23 AM on 07/08/13
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
Boo hoo. Then don't listen to some of the most classic bands of all time because they sure treated people like shit. Only difference is there was no internet to put it on display. That statement you made is very vague and you might as well not listen to a lot of music if that's the case. Not being a dick but you can imagine why I said that.
it's vague for a reason. i know some things that i don't think the band deserves to have put on full display because they're attempting to move on and they deserve that chance, and i shouldn't betray trust of those who have given me information about this band. it's different when it involves friends or people you know. your jaw would drop, man. i'm not saying anything else other than they will never get my business. this album is as boring as the others too.
11:26 AM on 07/08/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
you really need to listen to the second wonder years record again. there's plenty of variations on there. "i won't say the lord's prayer" serves as that album's "devil in my bloodstream."
That song is basically unlistenable because my eyes roll so hard it hurts my head.

But that's another debate entirely, about a different topic, that I don't feel like having in this thread.
11:28 AM on 07/08/13
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
That song is basically unlistenable because my eyes roll so hard it hurts my head.

But that's another debate entirely, about a different topic, that I don't feel like having in this thread.
yeah that song is horrible
11:29 AM on 07/08/13
Greg
User Info.
yeah, I didn't hear a thing about it until now. really odd.
it's been being hyped for awhile now. where have you been? haha
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News