AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Jay-Z - Magna Carta Holy Grail Album Cover

Jay-Z - Magna Carta Holy Grail

Reviewed by
Jay-Z - Magna Carta Holy Grail
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Release Date: July 9, 2013

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 139
04:19 PM on 07/11/13
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Need to spend more time with this but I pretty much agree.

I've never been a huge Jay-Z fan aside from the hits...what's the best album to start with? The Black Album?
04:22 PM on 07/11/13
Jake Jenkins
dont talk to me
User Info.
Need to spend more time with this but I pretty much agree.

I've never been a huge Jay-Z fan aside from the hits...what's the best album to start with? The Black Album?
reasonable doubt, the blueprint, and the black album are the three you MUST listen to. id go in the order i listed them. all three are three of my favorite hip-hop albums of all time and the black album was one of the first in the genre i heard.
04:36 PM on 07/11/13
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
reasonable doubt, the blueprint, and the black album are the three you MUST listen to. id go in the order i listed them. all three are three of my favorite hip-hop albums of all time and the black album was one of the first in the genre i heard.
Sounds good
04:53 PM on 07/11/13
vivatoto56
Welcome to Christmasland
User Info.
Review could have done without those first two paragraphs but otherwise very well written.
04:59 PM on 07/11/13
Jake Jenkins
dont talk to me
User Info.
Review could have done without those first two paragraphs but otherwise very well written.
yeahhhhh i probably could have gone a different route but ive been told a few times by people that i dont like this album because its not yeezus and i felt it necessary to drive the point home WHY this is disappointing and that it doesnt have to do with me wanting another yeezus. probably a little indulgent for a review but, what are you gonna do haha, i had fun writing it
05:09 PM on 07/11/13
vivatoto56
Welcome to Christmasland
User Info.
yeahhhhh i probably could have gone a different route but ive been told a few times by people that i dont like this album because its yeezus and i felt it necessary to drive the point home WHY this is disappointing and that it doesnt have to do with me wanting another yeezus. probably a little indulgent for a review but, what are you gonna do haha, i had fun writing it
Yeah, it still works and gives the review some context and they're 2 really good paragraphs. Not a big complaint.
02:13 AM on 07/12/13
Kelly Doherty
@DylanintheMovie
User Info.
Wonderful review, I completely agree with everything you've said. I wasn't a fan of Yeezus, but this record is ridiculously boring.
07:01 AM on 07/12/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Good review, and I think the introductory parts about Yeezus are completely justified. One artist is pushing the envelope and innovating while the other is comfortable stagnating in the same old territory. One thing I would add to the comparison, though, has to do with length. Kanye has learned to make a concise and consistent album, and I think part of the reason Yeezus succeeds is that it's this lean, relentless burst of abrasive aggression. Even MBDTF, which is nothing if not epic and sprawling, feels a lot more condensed than Kanye's older album because he learned to ditch the skits and the interludes (mostly) and the filler and make something that you actually want to experience in one sitting.

This album, on the other hand, just keeps fucking going. It's one thing that the songs aren't that good to begin with. I could have done with an album of disposable Jay-Z lyrics if every song had a great beat and a killer guest spot (which several of them do), but the in between tracks where it's just him are where this album really falters. I looked down somewhere around "Heaven" thinking, "shit, this thing has gotta be almost over," but there were still seven more songs.
07:12 AM on 07/12/13
Ryan Dennehy
Sounds about right.
07:14 AM on 07/12/13
Quijiba
User Info.
Good review, and I think the introductory parts about Yeezus are completely justified. One artist is pushing the envelope and innovating while the other is comfortable stagnating in the same old territory. One thing I would add to the comparison, though, has to do with length. Kanye has learned to make a concise and consistent album, and I think part of the reason Yeezus succeeds is that it's this lean, relentless burst of abrasive aggression. Even MBDTF, which is nothing if not epic and sprawling, feels a lot more condensed than Kanye's older album because he learned to ditch the skits and the interludes (mostly) and the filler and make something that you actually want to experience in one sitting.

This album, on the other hand, just keeps fucking going. It's one thing that the songs aren't that good to begin with. I could have done with an album of disposable Jay-Z lyrics if every song had a great beat and a killer guest spot (which several of them do), but the in between tracks where it's just him are where this album really falters. I looked down somewhere around "Heaven" thinking, "shit, this thing has gotta be almost over," but there were still seven more songs.
agreed. I can't get through the whole thing in one sitting, there just isn't enough quality material to make me want to
07:14 AM on 07/12/13
Jeff_Ryan
easy come and easy go, whatever
User Info.
twerk miley
07:29 AM on 07/12/13
Jake Jenkins
dont talk to me
User Info.
Wonderful review, I completely agree with everything you've said. I wasn't a fan of Yeezus, but this record is ridiculously boring.
thank you!

yeah, the length of this thing is what made me dread going back for repeated listens to hammer out this review....i had the same problem with the new wale album. halfway through im begging for it to end only to realize i've still got 7-8 songs to go
07:31 AM on 07/12/13
Dustin Harkins
I forgot that happened
User Info.
Biggest disappointment since ... well, I guess the other Roc Nation album that just came out.
07:32 AM on 07/12/13
Thursdaysox
Sleep Well
User Info.
this album makes me appreciate yeezus even more. holy grail is legit though, too bad jay couldnt churn out 15 more

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos