AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
The Sheds - I'll Be Fine Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8
Production 8
Creativity 8.25
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Average: 83%

The Sheds - I'll Be Fine

Reviewed by: Zac Djamoos (07/22/13)
The Sheds - I’ll Be Fine
Record Label: Mediaskare Records
Release Date: July 23, 2013

I like progression. I like it when bands change for the better. Doesn’t everyone? The Sheds are a fine example of this. They formed as a ska-punk band, but now resemble something closer to a (pop-) punk band. There still are discernible ska influences, but no longer are they the focal point of the songs. As a result, the band sounds even tighter than before, as I’ll Be Fine contains some of the Sheds’ best work to date.

The title track kicks off the album, more of an introduction to the album than a legitimate song. “Everything I Love” is next, a fast song with a catchy chorus: Everything I love has disappeared/ it’s all become/ what I loathe and fear. The ska influences are most evident on following track “The Rock & the Wring,” particularly in the verses. “Writer’s Block” is the catchiest song on the album, as well as one of the fastest. “Bad Things are Bad” also shows the band’s ska influence, and would be an easy album highlight if not for the unnecessary screaming in the bridge (courtesy of Hundredth’s Chadwick Johnson).

The obvious standout is lead single “Ignorance is Bliss.” A scathing anti-homophobe track, the song is a pop-punk gem and contains the album’s best bridge. It also leads perfectly into the two closing tracks. “Tunnel Vision” is a Swellers-esque (not just because of the title) pop-punk jam featuring a shouty bridge and a fun intro. “You’ll Be Fine” closes the record out strongly. It begins slowly and crescendos into a loud and fast climactic ending.

At ten songs and just barely 30 minutes, I’ll Be Fine is a pretty short record, which is a shame, since there are so few bad spots throughout the record. Don’t fret that the Sheds are no longer defending ska-punk. They’ve changed for the better, and as long as the Sheds keep making music like this, they’ll be fine (sorry).

8/10

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. I’ll Be Fine
2. Everything I Love
3. The Rock & the Wring
4. Writer’s Block
5. Almost Famous
6. Bad Things are Bad
7. Wrathbone
8. Ignorance is Bliss
9. Tunnel Vision
10. You’ll Be Fine

The Sheds:
Mac Miller – Vocals
Evan Miller – Bass
Niki Vahle – Drums
Morgan Miller – Guitar

Facebook

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
07:41 AM on 07/23/13
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Record is really good
07:54 AM on 07/23/13
Zac Djamoos
fantasizing the sight of manhattan
User Info.

Glad you like.
08:23 AM on 07/23/13
Jaytothesyg
The Greatest Generation
User Info.
Gotta check this out
10:29 AM on 07/23/13
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Indeed
03:32 PM on 07/23/13
The_Effort
User Info.
Great record. Great band.
04:05 PM on 07/23/13
ZacGinger
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The only part I disagree with is the "unnecessary" screaming from Chad. It was my favorite song of the album and I think that really made that track stand out. Besides that great review of a great album. Short and to the point, I liked it.
09:03 AM on 07/24/13
Zac Djamoos
User Info.
The only part I disagree with is the "unnecessary" screaming from Chad. It was my favorite song of the album and I think that really made that track stand out. Besides that great review of a great album. Short and to the point, I liked it.
Cool name haha.

I don't really like screaming in pop punk songs much. I don't think it fits in well, even if it stands out.

And thank you!
05:52 PM on 07/26/13
Loving Sasha
User Info.
This record is pretty cool, refreshing! i don't particularly like the screaming guy some of his screaming does seem unnecessary
08:34 AM on 07/27/13
GetUpAndrew
The Things We Think We're Missing
User Info.
This is seriously one of the best records I've heard this year so far, an AOTY candidate for me, along with letlive., Turnover and Heart In Hand. As for the review, short but well written. Good job, Zac!
10:09 AM on 07/29/13
Zac Djamoos
User Info.
This is seriously one of the best records I've heard this year so far, an AOTY candidate for me, along with letlive., Turnover and Heart In Hand. As for the review, short but well written. Good job, Zac!
Thank you Andrew! I'll need to check out Heart in Hand; I love letlive. and Turnover.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums