AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin - Fly By Wire Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 4
Musicianship 4
Lyrics 4
Production 4
Creativity 4
Lasting Value 4
Reviewer Tilt 4
Final Verdict: 40%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.81
Musicianship 7.31
Lyrics 7.31
Production 7.06
Creativity 6.94
Lasting Value 7.19
Reviewer Tilt 7.56
Average: 72%
Inside AP.net

Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin - Fly By Wire

Reviewed by: Blake Solomon (09/13/13)
Someone Still Loves You Boris YeltsinFly By Wire
Release Date: September 17, 2013
Record Label: Polyvinyl Records

What’s worse: hating an album or just not caring about it at all in any way whatsoever? At least hate is an emotion you can mentally hold onto. Apathy, however, elicits nothing outside of the vague awareness that you could be doing something else. There is no good discussion about how little you care about something, but tell someone you despise something and you’re sure to be in for a diabolically good time.

Since you can read and have a brain, you obviously see where this is going. Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin’s latest LP Fly By Wire means nothing to me. The hazy harmonies, cutesy acoustic guitars and demonstrative-of-nothing nods to yesteryear don’t leave me with ill will. I simply wonder how a group of previously smart and witty guys could make something so lacking in everything. I know I’m being fucking harsh and the Internet needs another negative music review like it needs another subreddit, but whatever. I won’t take up much more of your time, which thankfully, Fly By Wire won’t either. Its 10 songs meander by with enough sense to not stick around, and other than the grungy rock-out moments of “Nightwater Girlfriend,” we barely notice anything.

Really, Fly By Wire is a commercial music supervisor’s wet dream. Mildly catchy melodies, just enough electronics to keep a beat and lyrics like, “Well all I really really really really really really want is to let her go,” seem tailor-made for some Target branded online content. I don’t know, maybe despite what I said, this is kind of a bummer. To see a band who previously had quite a few ideas (“Sink/Let It Sway” as one fantastic example) give everything away for a chance to sneak a peek at the mythical “Indie Rock Song Bible” is just very depressing. On “Lucky One” we hear “bop bop bop” and half-awake singing as someone, hopefully long gone, is told, “Don’t you know you’re the lucky one?” With music as bland as this, I don’t blame the person for being unaware. Sleepy music is just fine, but music that puts you to sleep is not. Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin would be well served to learn the difference.

RATING: 4.0

Recommended If You Like: Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr., Yellow Ostrich, Telekinesis!

I've got a place to come home in the endwww.facebook.com/sslyby

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 16
09:36 AM on 09/13/13
Steve Alcala
"Counting Fish"
User Info.
ooof. I liked it.
10:46 AM on 09/13/13
drudo182
You Are Not Alone
User Info.
Love these guys.
10:53 AM on 09/13/13
tylerjordan
AGBPOL
User Info.
This record is awesome.
12:04 PM on 09/13/13
COREhorizon
Get Free
User Info.
Pretty accurate
05:32 PM on 09/13/13
grimis16
User Info.
wow. Fuck, this may be the first review I've severely disagreed with on this website. While I'm disappointed and expected a lot more out of it, Harrison Ford, Young Presidents, and Nightwater Girlfriend are 3 of the best songs they've written. I'm very forgiving since I absolutely love this band, but 40%, listen to it again, digest it and don't write your review immediately after listening for the first time.
09:40 PM on 09/13/13
Geology Rocks!
Why are you so afraid?
User Info.
I have to listen now, just so I can agree or disagree.
09:41 PM on 09/13/13
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
wow. Fuck, this may be the first review I've severely disagreed with on this website. While I'm disappointed and expected a lot more out of it, Harrison Ford, Young Presidents, and Nightwater Girlfriend are 3 of the best songs they've written. I'm very forgiving since I absolutely love this band, but 40%, listen to it again, digest it and don't write your review immediately after listening for the first time.
please, agree or disagree, but don't just throw a baseless statement out there like i only listened once. i've been around the block enough times to know that's not how it's done.
11:35 PM on 09/13/13
Mochem
User Info.
I was wondering why only Phil was singing. I didn't know John left. That sucks.
Anyway, the album was disappointing but definitely better than a 4...although not by a whole lot.
10:50 AM on 09/14/13
grimis16
User Info.
please, agree or disagree, but don't just throw a baseless statement out there like i only listened once. i've been around the block enough times to know that's not how it's done.
Well it's the only conclusion I could think of. Those three songs alone make it better than 40% overall. I know as a reader or reviewer that the % isn't supposed to be taken too seriously and that each reviewer sees the percentages differently...but damn. I'd say 60, or a 6 out of 10.
11:06 AM on 09/14/13
luvsickcatalyst
wander eyes, ocean high.
User Info.
Someone shat in Blake's cereal this morning...christ. Definitely nothing better than Broom or Pershing, but a pretty decent album overall. Its only fault is it almost seems too much like it's trying to match some of Pershing more breezy songs (The Beach Song, Dead Right) and goes too mellow, but "Young Presidents" and "Nightwater Girlfriend" are the kind of solid SSLYBY singles that Let It Sway lacked.
08:58 PM on 09/14/13
CircaSin
The All-New 2014 Corolla
User Info.
Didn't find this that far off from the rest of their catalog. Maybe the score might be a little strict but I kind of find all their releases a little blah.....yet I still download it.
09:16 AM on 09/19/13
shannomu
no sense and all pretend
User Info.
I'm glad to see a lot of people disagreeing with this review. I love the sound and feel to it. I love Pershing and Let It Sway and the progression between the two, but I also love this stark change in direction and retreat to a different, cozier sound in this album. You forgot to mention the entire part about them writing this during/after their trip to Russia earlier this year, which also coincides with the artwork. I love that background tidbit. Thanks for continually impressing me with each release, Yeltsins!
03:47 PM on 09/19/13
Chris Collum
User Info.
Well it's the only conclusion I could think of. Those three songs alone make it better than 40% overall. I know as a reader or reviewer that the % isn't supposed to be taken too seriously and that each reviewer sees the percentages differently...but damn. I'd say 60, or a 6 out of 10.
Yeah because music isn't subjective

Relax
04:15 PM on 10/07/13
kicky0urpunches
Rock Bottom Records
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The record wasn't great, but hell it's better than a 4 lol.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums