Password

Album Review

Chance the Rapper - Acid Rap Album Cover

Chance the Rapper - Acid Rap

Reviewed by
Chance the RapperAcid Rap
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: April 30 2013
Recently, Childish Gambino (aka Donald Glover) released a short film entitled Clapping for the Wrong Reasons, which was basically just a film about Glover interacting with various people, including Danielle Fishel, who is known for playing Topanga on Boy Meets World. One of the other people in the video was rapper Chancelor Bennett, better known as Chance the Rapper. He’s a rapper that I’ve always been quite curious about, because he’s been garnering a lot of buzz in the hip-hop community, and since most mixtapes are free, I thought I’d check out his second mixtape, Acid Rap, for myself, now that I’ve been listening to a bit more hip-hop recently. Before I did that, I went on his website and listened to and watched the music video for sixth track “Everybody’s Something.” At first, I was rather put off by his unorthodox style of rapping, especially how free-flowing he sounds. It’s not only on this track, but throughout the whole mixtape. He doesn’t adhere to any formula with his style, but he’s much more experimental than a lot of his peers, and I wonder if that’s why the mixtape is called Acid Rap, because it’s very “trippy,” for the lack of a better term. Anyway, the song itself was actually quite enjoyable, and I loved the chorus of the song, which sums up what the song is about – everybody is important to somebody else and no one is truly worthless. That’s a very important message to have in a song, let alone the genre that it’s in, because hip-hop isn’t known for being so loving and caring about people. That’s not to say it can’t be known for that, and rappers can’t talk about it, because it’s great. It’s an interesting idea that Chance brings to the table, so to speak. The whole rest of the mixtape does just that, too. Most records or mixtapes in hip-hop/rap I’ve heard have songs that really don’t do much for me, or that I just don’t like, but this mixtape is different. There’s only one song that I didn’t really care for on here, and that’s eighth track “NaNa.” The song doesn’t do anything for me, and it just drags on. It doesn’t halt the record at all, but it doesn’t do anything, either. It’s kind of bland and rather odd, but it fades into time and space as quickly as it starts. That’s not the case with the rest of the mixtape, however.

My favorite kinds of records are ones that take you, the listener, onto a musical “journey,” so to speak. That’s what Acid Rap does, and the name does make sense, because this mixtape is rather odd, but not in a bad way. It’s intriguing, strange, yet still accessible and appealing to a large audience. The opposite can be said for fellow rapper Kanye West, who released his new record Yeezus a couple months later, and that record is intriguing, odd, weird, but not very accessible and appealing to a large audience of people. It’s still an enjoyable album, but it’s quite dark and really strange. This mixtape still manages to be rather dark at times, and odd, but still appeal to a lot of people. It manages to show this off right off the bat with intro track “Good Ass Intro.” Intro tracks are a good first impression for an artist/band to make on the listener, and Chance does it nicely here. At one point, he makes a very bold claim by saying, “This is your f*cking album and ain’t even f*cking done.” Well, after listening to the whole record, I wouldn’t say it’s my favorite, but it’s pretty close. This is an awesome mixtape and I’m really excited for his debut record. Anyway, the intro track on here is great. It’s got a really catchy and infectious beat, with some horns and guitar, but the song basically just talks about how Chance is back, and he’s doing well. This song sets the tone nicely for the record, too; he also sings a bit on this song, as well as the whole album, and right off the bat, I don’t like it too much. On certain parts, it’s actually not bad, and he’s enjoyable, but he’s not the best singer I’ve ever heard. I do like how he tries to sing and to make things a bit differently, but it works in varying degrees. Second track “Pusha Man” is actually two songs in one, clocking in at around 7 minutes. “Pusha Man” is around two and a half minutes, and the second track “Paranoia” comes in a minute or so afterwards. The former track doesn’t really do much for me, but it’s enjoyable. It’s just about how Chance is a “pusher man” for a girl, meaning that his love is her drug, along with literally talking about drugs, too. The hook on this track is performed by Childish Gambino himself, who makes a credited appearance later on. The latter track, though, is really dark. It’s got a rather haunting beat that has Chance talking about living in Chicago (where he’s from) and how dangerous it is, but no one talks about it.

As the mixtape goes on, there are plenty of tracks that really stand out to me. A few tracks don’t do much for me, but they’re still fun to listen to, such as “Juice” and “Lost.” There is a one-two punch that appears in the form of seventh and eighth tracks “Interlude (That’s Love)” and “Favorite Song.” The latter track is a simple interlude that’s all about love, and how Chance thinks loves is the best thing there is. It’s a laidback R&B track, too, which is where his singing vocals really shine. The former is my favorite song on the mixtape, not only because it features Childish Gambino, but because it’s the most infectious and catchiest track on the record. It helps that it does feature a great verse by Gambino, who absolutely slays on the record. Finally, the only other track that really does anything for me is last track “Good Ass Outro.” It basically ends the mixtape the same way it started, and the title delivers. It’s definitely a “good ass outro.” And it’s a nice ending to the mixtape. Chance the Rapper is a really intriguing man, because he’s barely even 20-years-old, and he’s already garnering a lot of buzz, which is really interesting to me. It’s clear to see why after hearing this over and over, and it’s a great mixtape. It’ll surely be on my favorite records of the year list come December.

Recommended If You LikeMac Miller, Childish Gambino, Kendrick Lamar, etc.

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Good Ass Intro
2. Pusha Man / Paranoia
3. Cocoa Butter Kisses
4. Juice
5. Lost
6. Everybody’s Something
7. Interlude (That’s Love)
8. Favorite Song
9. NaNa
10. Smoke Again
11. Acid Rain
12. Chain Smoker
13. Everything’s Good (Good Ass Outro)

www.facebook.com/chancetherapper
This review is a user submitted review from justbradley. You can see all of justbradley's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
09:51 PM on 09/10/13
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
User Info.
Nice mixtape. Good Ass Intro is still my favourite.

"Anyway, the song itself was actually quite enjoyable, and I loved the chorus of the song, which sums up what the song is about – everybody is important to somebody else and no one is truly worthless. That’s a very important message to have in a song"

The readers know you are talking about a song, try not to repeat yourself too much. Just watch mixing your tenses up as well.

The song is quite enjoyable, and I love the chorus, which summs up what the track is about --everybody is important to somebody else and no one is truly worthless. That's a very important message.

Just trying to help :)
10:43 PM on 09/24/13
OFWGKTA
I'm the #1 Bitch
User Info.
Mixtape of the year. Next to better off dead

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles