Username
Password

Album Review
The Weeknd - Kiss Land Album Cover

The Weeknd - Kiss Land

Reviewed by
The Weeknd Kiss Land
Release Date:
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
September 10, 2013

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 29
09:07 PM on 10/08/13
Ryan Dennehy
better late than never i guess
09:55 PM on 10/08/13
Chris Collum
User Info.
better late than never i guess
This is a very well-written review, good job homie. I agree with pretty much everything you said. As someone who thought Echoes of Silence was the best out of the three mixtapes I was very disappointed with this.

Also FYI I edited the title so it says The Weeknd. Jason said awhile back in an email--think it was before you were staff actually so there was no way for you to know--that we don't have to do that dumb Weeknd, The thing anymore.
09:57 PM on 10/08/13
Ryan Dennehy
This is a very well-written review, good job homie. I agree with pretty much everything you said. As someone who thought Echoes of Silence was the best out of the three mixtapes I was very disappointed with this.

Also FYI I edited the title so it says The Weeknd. Jason said awhile back in an email--think it was before you were staff actually so there was no way for you to know--that we don't have to do that dumb Weeknd, The thing anymore.
I also think Echoes is my favorite to be honest. Thanks for the kind words <3

And welp!!! Thanks haha I guess now I know
10:10 PM on 10/08/13
Chris Collum
User Info.
I also think Echoes is my favorite to be honest. Thanks for the kind words <3

And welp!!! Thanks haha I guess now I know
"XO / The Host" and "Initiation"--which really function as one long song--is the best part of his discography. The way he depicts the character in those two songs, if we assume the girl in "XO" is the one who partakes in what goes on in "Initiation," which seems reasonable,--the way he lets us see someone literally fall apart in front of our eyes is haunting in the most perfect way. That's what brings me back to Echoes of Silence. It's inarguably the darkest of the three mixtapes, and that middle portion particularly is gut-wrenching.
10:11 PM on 10/08/13
Chris Collum
User Info.
A far cry from the vapid bullshit that dominates this record. Production's aight tho
10:18 PM on 10/08/13
Ryan Dennehy
"XO / The Host" and "Initiation"--which really function as one long song--is the best part of his discography. The way he depicts the character in those two songs, if we assume the girl in "XO" is the one who partakes in what goes on in "Initiation," which seems reasonable,--the way he lets us see someone literally fall apart in front of our eyes is haunting in the most perfect way. That's what brings me back to Echoes of Silence. It's inarguably the darkest of the three mixtapes, and that middle portion particularly is gut-wrenching.
Yep. There were some genuinely harrowing moments on Trilogy that made me think of dead-eyed party going corpses; nothing here does that for me. It feels so safe. Like it's a facade he's trying to put on to maintain his sense of self now that he's been removed from what was his natural environment.
A far cry from the vapid bullshit that dominates this record. Production's aight tho

I was originally much harsher on the production but I definitely was letting my opinion be colored by Tesfaye's stupidity. There's a lot of solid production on here that should have gone elsewhere.
10:23 PM on 10/08/13
Chris Collum
User Info.
Yep. There were some genuinely harrowing moments on Trilogy that made me think of dead-eyed party going corpses; nothing here does that for me. It feels so safe. Like it's a facade he's trying to put on to maintain his sense of self now that he's been removed from what was his natural environment.

I was originally much harsher on the production but I definitely was letting my opinion be colored by Tesfaye's stupidity. There's a lot of solid production on here that should have gone elsewhere.
Yeah I agree completely. He's thinking way way too much about his image.

The production's pretty tight. Dude I'd love to have Drake over some of these tracks instead of Abel...ohmylawdalmighty
06:51 AM on 10/09/13
Dustin Harkins
Go support Kony 2012 some more
User Info.
This is a great review and I completely agree with it as well. This album is so stale and cheesy.
07:14 AM on 10/09/13
blackmold
Bro
User Info.
I have yet to listen to this album but this review will probably make me put it off even longer. I loved his mixtapes so I want to listen and love this but going by the reviews I've read, there's a very slim chance of that happening. Oh well. Maybe I'll check it out one day when I'm really bored.

Great review btw.
07:20 AM on 10/09/13
Ryan Dennehy
This is a great review and I completely agree with it as well. This album is so stale and cheesy.

I have yet to listen to this album but this review will probably make me put it off even longer. I loved his mixtapes so I want to listen and love this but going by the reviews I've read, there's a very slim chance of that happening. Oh well. Maybe I'll check it out one day when I'm really bored.

Great review btw.

I don't want to tell you not to listen to it because there's some stuff here worth checking out but the album as a whole is really just impossible to sit through.

Thanks to both of you for the kind words.
07:28 AM on 10/09/13
Chris Collum
User Info.

Great review btw.
It's worth a listen or two if you liked the mixtapes just to understand what's wrong with what he's doing right now.

But only after you're caught up on all the awesome stuff that's come out this year haha
07:42 AM on 10/09/13
ChelseaRiane
<3
User Info.
Huge let down after the Trilogy. Solid review.
07:48 AM on 10/09/13
QuietThings430
Stop liking things.
User Info.
Probably the biggest disappointment of the year so far. The title track is solid though.
08:01 AM on 10/09/13
8SlicesOfPie
http://dwhb.bandcamp.com
User Info.
I wouldn't quite give it a 5/10, but I do agree that this is fairly disappointing after the mixtapes.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos