AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Augustines - Augustines Album Cover

Augustines - Augustines

Reviewed by
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Augustines - Augustines
Record Label: Votiv/Oxcart
Release Date: Feb. 4, 2014

Sometimes all it takes is a songwriter who fully understands life. Not the open-the-doors-and-embrace-the-sunshine life, but the jaundiced, jaded, jackhammer of pain, and the hope that stems from such heavy burdens. The life singer-songwriter Billy McCarthy knows all too well. As the frontman for short-lived NYC-indie Pela he expertly crafted pain and suffering in a way that earned raves. Following the loss of both his mother and brother, he crafted the album Rise Ye Sunken Ships, by that time he was calling band We Are Augustines, before shortening the name to Augustines last year and relocating to Seattle. Augustines, the band’s sophomore effort is far and away their best work to date. Ostensibly an album about finding hope and navigating through the pathways of solace, Augustines is a shimmering, first-rate slice of pensive and passionate indie-rock.

As with any album trying to make a statement of any kind, Augustines opens with an introduction, “I Touch Imaginary Hands,” a 1:39 of twinkling keys, Billy McCarthy’s guttural vocals and the very sense that something big is about to happen.

And then it does.

“Cruel City” is a clattering, concussive work of bristling power, armfuls of soul and a permanence that lasts long after the song skitters to a finish. Though the album is only five minutes young, McCarthy and Co. have already made a huge dent. Smooth, calculating and deeply impacting, “Cruel City” is the kind of song bands work for years to write. That McCarthy has written it this soon into his career is reason enough to think that Augustines is a band destined for something truly special.

On previous albums McCarthy and Co. have rumbled out of the gate with towering, propulsive slabs of modern rock and “Nothing to Lose” is proof of that. Anchored by McCarthy’s throaty delivery, the song is an absolute home run and more reason to add Augustines to your list of must-listen bands for 2014. On the wistful and windswept “Weary Eyes” the song rises like a fog lifting and shimmers and shakes, never once dissipating or collapsing upon itself. Though it can be argued it’s the album’s first big-hearted ballad, there’s a lot more on the table than just romance, tenderness and ample yearning.

Side A concludes with the titanic anthem “Don’t You Look Back” and the chill-inducing “Walkabout.” The former is a radio-ready chunk of modern-rock that drips with polish, professionals and armfuls of passion; while the latter is a piano-driven tour-de-force that leaves it all on the table and begs the listener to shed a tear. Not once in his career has McCarthy sounded this vulnerable, this haggard and this pained. Evocative of Bon Iver, “Walkabout” is a spellbinding five minutes that casts a wide impression long after the disc concludes.

The back end of Augustines opens with “Kid You’re On Your Own” a surging and sturdy ass-kicker that revisits much of the same terrain as “Don’t You Look Back” and “Cruel City.” Moving much like “Weary Eyes,” the slow-rising and vernal “This Ain’t Me” finds McCarthy insistent on his ability to turn a new leaf and his imploring intonations are what make the song so deeply rewarding. As if serving as a post-script to “This Ain’t Me,” successor “Now You Are Free” is an inspiring, uplifting and wholly convincing mid-tempo meditation on breaking the shackles of whatever it is that ties you down.

The album’s closing triumvirate includes “The Avenue,” instrumental “Highway 1 Interlude” and “Hold Onto Anything.” The former is a pleading, piano-driven soul ballad that is deeply poignant and arguably one of the album’s strongest. While an instrumental was probably unnecessary, McCarthy and Co. include it anyways and if it serves a purpose it is probably as an opening salvo for album closer “Hold Onto Anything.” Said song is a juggernaut in every sense of the word. Like many of its predecessors it has a dripping sense of importance and emotional weight that the urge to hit repeat is almost too much to pass up.

Sometimes a band just knows how to craft a song. Sometimes inherent talent is just destined to make albums like that. Chalk it up to whatever you like, but don’t sleep on this album or this band. Augustines is tremendous and hands down one of the best releases of the year.

Recommended If You Like Frightened Rabbit, The Gaslight Anthem, Bruce Springsteen, Pearl Jam

Tracklisting 1. Intro (I Touch Imaginary Hands) (1:37)
2. Cruel City (3:44)
3. Nothing To Lose But Your Head (3:53)
4. Weary Eyes (4:09)
5. Don’t You Look Back (4:25)
6. Walkabout (5:01)
7. Kid You’re On Your Own (4:00)
8. This Ain’t Me (4:37)
9. Now You Are Free (4:09)
10. The Avenue (3:320
11. Highway 1 Interlude (2:13)
12. Hold Onto Anything (3:35)

Produced by Augustines

Augustines are Billy McCarthy: vocals, guitar, songwriting
Rob Allen: drums
Eric Sanderson: guitar, bass, keys, various instruments

Find Them Here http://www.WeAreAugustines.com

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9
05:07 AM on 02/20/14
forg3tmyname
User Info.
Awesome review. I checked this album out on a total whim and was blown away. Your RIYL is spot on, too.
07:17 AM on 02/20/14
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
loved Pela. didn't know he was still making music. will check out for sure.
09:23 AM on 02/20/14
Steve_JustAGuy
www.justaguy.us
User Info.
Great review Greg. Real solid album and continues to grow on me. Could really see (and I hope they do) these guys pick up some steam, especially if they can get on some of the summer festivals.
09:28 AM on 02/20/14
AlexJLow
User Info.
Need to listen more, but this is a really strong album.
07:22 PM on 02/20/14
rawspinner
Fight the Cancer
User Info.
Of course you would review the next album I wanted to review. Also, wasn't it his brother, not sister?
04:45 AM on 02/21/14
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Of course you would review the next album I wanted to review. Also, wasn't it his brother, not sister?
Yep, his brother James. Why it says sister, I have NO idea. Fixing now, thanks buddy.
07:41 PM on 04/01/14
wtfjaked
Tortoise Tamer
User Info.
Did these guys used to go by We Are Augustines? I heard their album and loved it

EDIT: Guess I should have read the first paragraph before asking. Duh. I'll need to check out this album.
07:26 PM on 06/04/14
Anthony Sorendino
Don't you dare ever give up...
User Info.
This is such a fantastic album. AOTY contender for sure.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos