AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Related News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

AbsolutePlaylist: "The 90s: Where Are They Now?"

Posted by - 07:59 AM on 03/28/14
Welcome back to AbsolutePlaylist, a new feature that will bring you a playlist each Friday from one of our staff members or a special guest to ring your weekend in the right way. For this week, I put together a playlist of great songs from forgotten or partially forgotten 90s bands. Instead of going for the hits or for songs that everyone knows, though, I chose deep cuts from more recent releases. All of these artists are still active today, and as this playlist shows (I hope), they're still making engaging music. Enjoy!

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 35
08:00 AM on 03/28/14
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
"The 90s: Where Are They Now?"
Click here to listen!

1. Vertical Horizon - You Never Let Me Down
2. Butch Walker - Coming Home
3. The Wallflowers - Misfits & Loves (featuring Mick Jones)
4. Counting Crows - Like Teenage Gravity
5. Matchbox Twenty - Radio
6. Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - If I Had a Gun
7. Eve 6 - Moon
8. Sister Hazel - The Saddest Song (Not Coming Home)
9. Emerson Hart - The Best That I Can Give
10. Third Eye Blind - Sharp Knife
11. No Doubt - One More Summer
12. The Smashing Pumpkins - Pinwheels
13. Beck - Country Down
14. Better Than Ezra - I Just Knew

As someone who was born toward the tail end of 1990, I consider myself pretty much the ultimate child of the 90s. I grew up in the golden age of Disney movies, sitcoms, and radio rock, and I absolutely still wear those influences on my sleeve. The Lion King and Aladdin? Seen them so many times they’ve lost meaning. Friends and Boy Meets World? Quote them daily. 90s radio rock? Probably going to play at least a few of those hits at my wedding. But unlike many people who are still holding onto their Oasis and Sister Hazel CDs all these years later, I’m not doing it out of simple nostalgia. No, most of the bands that I grew up loving are still making records today, and I’m still listening because frankly, I love the music.

This playlist came together late last month, after I got an advance for the new solo record from Emerson Hart. For those of you who don’t know, Emerson Hart is the frontman for Tonic, the one hit wonder band from the 90s that is/was responsible for that “If You Could Only See” song that inexplicably still gets played in grocery stores. The record is largely generic adult contemporary alternative rock - you know, big choruses, lovelorn lyrics, the works - but I dug it right away anyway, and that got me to thinking about how many irrelevant, forgotten 90s bands are still occupying real estate - and getting play time - on my iPod.

So I put a few rules in place for myself (songs had to be five years old or less, artists had to have either gone on lengthy hiatuses or gone solo/started new bands, etc.) and went to work. The resulting mix is made up entirely of artists who can be tied, often most notably, to a hit song or two from the 90s. I skipped obvious inclusions like Pearl Jam, the Foo Fighters, and Green Day, because really, everyone knows where they are now. But the songs here come largely from albums that were ignored or quickly forgotten, and I’m hoping that this playlist can give them a second chance.
08:35 AM on 03/28/14
texan4lif281
User Info.
Awesome playlist. I love this feature.
08:35 AM on 03/28/14
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
i wrote a review on here for emerson hart's album Cigarettes and Gasoline like 7 years ago, which is just crazy to me. because he was old then and i am old now and now we are all dead.
08:42 AM on 03/28/14
JPA917
@JPA05
User Info.
Oh man, I remember my Sister Hazel phase.
08:53 AM on 03/28/14
jco3
Oh, hello there, internet.
User Info.
Dig the Vertical Horizon song. Also, Better than Ezra.
09:04 AM on 03/28/14
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Awesome playlist. I love this feature.

Thanks, glad you're enjoying it. I think we've gotten some really interesting stuff so far.

i wrote a review on here for emerson hart's album Cigarettes and Gasoline like 7 years ago, which is just crazy to me. because he was old then and i am old now and now we are all dead.

Haha, no way. I love that album and was pretty sure no one else had ever listened to it, haha. The new one isn't quite as good, but it has its moments.

Oh man, I remember my Sister Hazel phase.

I had a very long Sister Hazel phase. Still really love some of those albums, particularly Chasing Daylight.

Dig the Vertical Horizon song. Also, Better than Ezra.

That Vertical Horizon album is actually really interesting. Kind of splits the difference between straightforward alternative rock like that track and more experimental, proggy stuff. Made my top 50 last year.

Also, apparently Better Than Ezra is releasing a new album this year. Just dropped a new single on Monday or something.
09:14 AM on 03/28/14
dejadegaussed
User Info.
Cool idea, and cool playlist. While on the subject, this song by the Offspring is off their 2012 album "days go by" and is one of their best ever (does anyone care besides me? probably not)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfBTRIxsd3Q
09:24 AM on 03/28/14
texan4lif281
User Info.
Thanks, glad you're enjoying it. I think we've gotten some really interesting stuff so far.

I agree, look forward to it every week.
12:22 PM on 03/28/14
trevorshmevor
User Info.
Probably the coolest idea for this feature I've seen so far! Very nice.
12:34 PM on 03/28/14
Me & My Arrow
User Info.
No Goo Goo Dolls? Don't know if they count as "partially forgotten", but they seem about on par with Matchbox 20 in terms of visibility these days.
01:17 PM on 03/28/14
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Cool idea, and cool playlist. While on the subject, this song by the Offspring is off their 2012 album "days go by" and is one of their best ever (does anyone care besides me? probably not)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfBTRIxsd3Q

2012 was seriously a 90s revival. So many songs on this list came from that year, and this Offspring one is another.

Probably the coolest idea for this feature I've seen so far! Very nice.

Thanks!

No Goo Goo Dolls? Don't know if they count as "partially forgotten", but they seem about on par with Matchbox 20 in terms of visibility these days.

They were borderline for me, and I could have easily included a song from Magnetic (which I thought was great), but has at the time limit. The reason MB20 are on the list is that they had a 10 year gap between full-lengths. I think the Goos had at most four years.
01:24 PM on 03/28/14
mattplayscheap
plays with squirrels
User Info.
"The 90s: Where Are They Now?"
Click here to listen!

1. Vertical Horizon - You Never Let Me Down
2. Butch Walker - Coming Home
3. The Wallflowers - Misfits & Loves (featuring Mick Jones)
4. Counting Crows - Like Teenage Gravity
5. Matchbox Twenty - Radio
6. Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - If I Had a Gun
7. Eve 6 - Moon
8. Sister Hazel - The Saddest Song (Not Coming Home)
9. Emerson Hart - The Best That I Can Give
10. Third Eye Blind - Sharp Knife
11. No Doubt - One More Summer
12. The Smashing Pumpkins - Pinwheels
13. Beck - Country Down
14. Better Than Ezra - I Just Knew

As someone who was born toward the tail end of 1990, I consider myself pretty much the ultimate child of the 90s. I grew up in the golden age of Disney movies, sitcoms, and radio rock, and I absolutely still wear those influences on my sleeve. The Lion King and Aladdin? Seen them so many times they’ve lost meaning. Friends and Boy Meets World? Quote them daily. 90s radio rock? Probably going to play at least a few of those hits at my wedding. But unlike many people who are still holding onto their Oasis and Sister Hazel CDs all these years later, I’m not doing it out of simple nostalgia. No, most of the bands that I grew up loving are still making records today, and I’m still listening because frankly, I love the music.

This playlist came together late last month, after I got an advance for the new solo record from Emerson Hart. For those of you who don’t know, Emerson Hart is the frontman for Tonic, the one hit wonder band from the 90s that is/was responsible for that “If You Could Only See” song that inexplicably still gets played in grocery stores. The record is largely generic adult contemporary alternative rock - you know, big choruses, lovelorn lyrics, the works - but I dug it right away anyway, and that got me to thinking about how many irrelevant, forgotten 90s bands are still occupying real estate - and getting play time - on my iPod.

So I put a few rules in place for myself (songs had to be five years old or less, artists had to have either gone on lengthy hiatuses or gone solo/started new bands, etc.) and went to work. The resulting mix is made up entirely of artists who can be tied, often most notably, to a hit song or two from the 90s. I skipped obvious inclusions like Pearl Jam, the Foo Fighters, and Green Day, because really, everyone knows where they are now. But the songs here come largely from albums that were ignored or quickly forgotten, and I’m hoping that this playlist can give them a second chance.
no gin blossoms?
01:58 PM on 03/28/14
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
I had no idea they released an album in 2010.
03:29 PM on 03/28/14
inevitable
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I don't understand how you can consider yourself a 90's kid when you were born at the end of the 90's. Don't get me wrong this is an ok list, but my point is I was born in 1985, and don't consider myself an 80's kid because most of my childhood and growing up took place in the 90's.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos