Username
Password

05:12 AM on 04/12/14 
User Info.
weirderthanu210
Love me
Long Island
Male - 21 Years Old
just updated a ton of my passwords and downloaded 1password. really great app.
06:34 AM on 04/12/14 
User Info.
digitalbybirth
Saigon
Male - 32 Years Old
This may help you out. Just type in the site you're concerned about and it'll tell you it's security status and whether you need to change you password.

https://lastpass.com/heartbleed/
12:26 PM on 04/12/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member

http://xkcd.com/1354/

A (good) explanation of how it works.
12:26 PM on 04/12/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
01:46 PM on 04/12/14 
User Info.
xapplexpiex
&.&
Warren, MI
Male - 22 Years Old
I'm doing some research on Heartbleed now. I know very little about technology, but this 1password app I've been hearing about doesn't sound too great. If someone hacks that, like the Heartbleed hacked all those sites, then they'd get all my passwords at once.

I must be missing something here.
01:51 PM on 04/12/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
I'm doing some research on Heartbleed now. I know very little about technology, but this 1password app I've been hearing about doesn't sound too great. If someone hacks that, like the Heartbleed hacked all those sites, then they'd get all my passwords at once.

I must be missing something here.
If someone can hack 1Password's AES-256 cryptography -- we have a much, MUCH, larger problem. Having unique, long, strong, passwords for each login (where the point of attack will usually happen) is much more secure.

There's a big difference between what Heartbleed is (an OpenSSL bug) and a coordinated "hack."
02:02 PM on 04/12/14 
User Info.
xapplexpiex
&.&
Warren, MI
Male - 22 Years Old
If someone can hack 1Password's AES-256 cryptography -- we have a much, MUCH, larger problem. Having unique, long, strong, passwords for each login (where the point of attack will usually happen) is much more secure.

There's a big difference between what Heartbleed is (an OpenSSL bug) and a coordinated "hack."
Ok, thanks. That makes sense.
04:26 PM on 04/12/14 
User Info.
eriatarka24
CNET: Check which sites have been patched
http://www.cnet.com/how-to/which-sit...eartbleed-bug/

How to tell if your Android device is vulnerable to Heartbleed
http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-te...to-heartbleed/
04:42 PM on 04/12/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
More reading:

Test the strength of your password: http://rumkin.com/tools/password/passchk.php

And a primer on good passwords.

05:36 PM on 04/12/14 
User Info.
Ryan Dennehy
Staff Member
Just picked up 1Password. Even if I'm not overly concerned about Heartbleed because I have very little damage that can be done to me, I figure the $9 now is worth it for when I actually have important things to guard.
05:52 PM on 04/12/14 
User Info.
richter915
@Richter915
Male - 27 Years Old
most banks seem to be safe and gmail seems ok as well. I think it'll be ok.

the cause of the "bug" is hilarious though...not so much a bug as it is just bad code.
09:01 PM on 04/12/14 
User Info.
lp670sv
Go Sabres
Buffalo, NY
Male - 22 Years Old

the cause of the "bug" is hilarious though...not so much a bug as it is just bad code.
That's the definition of a bug.
09:14 PM on 04/12/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member

Google was affected.
09:15 PM on 04/12/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
Just picked up 1Password. Even if I'm not overly concerned about Heartbleed because I have very little damage that can be done to me, I figure the $9 now is worth it for when I actually have important things to guard.
Great call IMO. Good security practices and good backup are two things I think are worth starting early.
11:39 PM on 04/12/14 
User Info.
codeseven
fucked tortured and discarded
Raleigh, NC
Male - 26 Years Old
I'd be very weary having something like 1Password on my machine. Especially for the common user who probably has gone and downloaded that MP3 file they really wanted and wasn't aware that binded to it was a virus/trojan that allows a malicious user to remote in and do whatever the hell they want. Tools like that are so easy to use these days, a complete noob to computers could read one of the many guides on the net about it and be up and running and have 10+ "slaves" in a few hours.

In my opinion, (1) go here and keep hitting refresh until you see a string that looks easy to remember, then (2) stop checking that "keep me signed in" button so you are forced to keep manually typing in your password(s) so you come to remember them. It really is very simple just using your brain to manage your passwords. And when it comes to convenience over security, it's an obvious answer to me which one is more important.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos