Username
Password

12:23 PM on 04/12/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
A place to talk about / recommend / discuss tunrtables and everything related to them (storage, cleaning, etc).

My turntable: Audio-Technica LP120

I also would recommend taking a look at replacement cartridges, like this Shure M97xE.
01:23 AM on 04/13/14 
User Info.
knorr45
IG: rj_knorr
Adrian, MI
Male - 27 Years Old
I'm a complete noob when it comes to this area, so I apologize for this question.

I've seen you post about this player many times and I do plan on checking it out. My question is will I need to buy speakers, an amp, or anything else that I can't think of right now?
06:22 AM on 04/13/14 
User Info.
mkohler
Get Myself Together
Cleveland, Ohio
Male - 20 Years Old
I'm a complete noob when it comes to this area, so I apologize for this question.

I've seen you post about this player many times and I do plan on checking it out. My question is will I need to buy speakers, an amp, or anything else that I can't think of right now?

I agree with this. I was given a Crosley record player as a gift awhile back which is nice and appreciated, but I'm afraid to play anything on it. I've been looking at the Audio Technica turntable but I have no clue what I'd need with it.

If someone could post what you need with a turntable like that it would be really appreciated.
07:44 AM on 04/13/14 
User Info.
Fourchordwonder
Love was a war worth fighting.
Chicago, IL
Male - 22 Years Old
You'll need speakers, a receiver, and a (maybe) phono preamp. Some receivers already have a built-in phono preamp, but not all. Any turntable that doesn't require a phono preamp (Crosley, other low end stuff) is probably not worth using.

I assembled the majority of my setup from yard sales and my parents' basement, so I might not be the best person to ask about new gear, but I will throw in a plug for the U-Turn Orbit turntable. Great price, and easily competitive with much more expensive models.
12:42 PM on 04/14/14 
User Info.
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
St. Louis, MO
Male - 22 Years Old
Staff Member
i use the music hall mmf 5 that my dad gave to me years ago. i'll post more about my receiver and speaker set up when im home next to them, cant recall what they are off the top of my head
01:42 PM on 04/14/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member

Yes, you'd need speakers ... the LP120 has an internal preamp, so, if you have powered speakers with a built in amplifier you can connect the turntable directly to the speakers. If the speakers are not powered you will need a receiver and/or amplifier.

I run the turntable into my receiver and the same speakers that are connected to my TV. It's not technically the best "audiophille" set-up but it works.

Speaking of -- The Wirecutter just named this the "best turntable for casual listeners."
The Audio Technica AT-LP120-USB is the best because it sounds great, includes a phono preamp, is very flexible and speed accurate, and it lets you digitize your LP collection if you desire. The AT-LP120-USB is a great entry-point for the vinyl enthusiast and shines even when matched against a table costing twice as much.

The sound quality of the AT-LP120-USB with the included cartridge and integrated preamp is remarkably good. With high-quality source material, it has the ability to present a quiet background with very good channel separation and vocal clarity. It can stumble a bit on very busy musical sections on the inner grooves of records, but many tables do this. The more records I play on the Audio Technica, the more I find myself appreciating it.
02:21 PM on 04/14/14 
User Info.
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
St. Louis, MO
Male - 22 Years Old
Staff Member
i use the music hall mmf 5 that my dad gave to me years ago. i'll post more about my receiver and speaker set up when im home next to them, cant recall what they are off the top of my head

i use this receiver, looks like they dont make it anymore so im assuming my dad has had it for a while. im using klipsch speakers, they're an earlier model of this, cant find the model i have anywhere since they're discontinued. pretty happy with my set up
07:02 PM on 04/14/14 
User Info.
knorr45
IG: rj_knorr
Adrian, MI
Male - 27 Years Old
You'll need speakers, a receiver, and a (maybe) phono preamp. Some receivers already have a built-in phono preamp, but not all. Any turntable that doesn't require a phono preamp (Crosley, other low end stuff) is probably not worth using.

I assembled the majority of my setup from yard sales and my parents' basement, so I might not be the best person to ask about new gear, but I will throw in a plug for the U-Turn Orbit turntable. Great price, and easily competitive with much more expensive models.
Yes, you'd need speakers ... the LP120 has an internal preamp, so, if you have powered speakers with a built in amplifier you can connect the turntable directly to the speakers. If the speakers are not powered you will need a receiver and/or amplifier.

I run the turntable into my receiver and the same speakers that are connected to my TV. It's not technically the best "audiophille" set-up but it works.
Thanks guys. I'm a little less of a noob now
07:29 PM on 04/14/14 
User Info.
FueledByFrodo
@alexmnorthrup/@inorganicrecs
Newark, DE
Male - 20 Years Old
I should find out what I'm using at home. It's an old piece my dad got probably in the 80s, sounds good though.

Side note, love the idea for a tech forum
08:06 PM on 04/14/14 
User Info.
esposimi
The System Is Down
Harrisburg, PA
Male - 24 Years Old
My current setup:

Audio-Technica AT-LP60 running through an ATUS AM-100 mixer/phono amp into my Panasonic system

12:45 PM on 04/18/14 
User Info.
Micah511
Let's Talk About Your Hair
Alabama
Male - 23 Years Old
In also have an at LP 120 running to a receiver running to some sony bookshelf speakers. Pretty satisfied with it. I had an at LP 60 that I upgraded from about a year ago, and I would say it is worth it.
09:05 PM on 04/18/14 
User Info.
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
Indianapolis
Male - 28 Years Old
Staff Member
my set up is pretty nice - I just need to upgrade my turntable - either a LP120 or a Pro-jet are on the horizon.
12:20 PM on 04/19/14 
User Info.
iden22
close call
Miami, FL
Male - 20 Years Old
My first setup is a Pro-ject Debut Carbon, Pioneer BS22 speakers, and an old Pioneer receiver my uncle gave me. Sounds good.
12:39 PM on 04/19/14 
User Info.
Genuma
Plainfield, IL
Male
Thinking about getting a U-Turn Orbit soon. Anyone have experience? I've only heard good things.
12:43 PM on 04/19/14 
User Info.
iden22
close call
Miami, FL
Male - 20 Years Old
Thinking about getting a U-Turn Orbit soon. Anyone have experience? I've only heard good things.

Only downsides seem to be the wait time and the lack of a cueing lever (which I think they're adding soon), but all the reviews seem to be positive.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos