Username
Password

03:34 PM on 04/17/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
Meh? It's probably one of the top 5 best designed apps on the platform ...
04:27 PM on 04/17/14 
User Info.
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
Gainesville, FL
Male - 25 Years Old
Meh? It's probably one of the top 5 best designed apps on the platform ...
It has a great design sure, but it offers little to no real use for me

Just didn't see anything in it that made me want to use it over the main app.
05:04 PM on 04/17/14 
User Info.
love_american_style
sacramento, ca
Male - 31 Years Old
REALLY offers no use for me since I am not an apple guy.
10:27 AM on 04/18/14 
User Info.
Simulcast
No more gold lights
Male - 28 Years Old
I like Paper because it cuts through the bullshit and gives me what I want out of Facebook. It's also very nice to look at and navigate.
10:17 PM on 04/19/14 
User Info.
lp670sv
Go Sabres
Buffalo, NY
Male - 22 Years Old
I don't understand how a multiple billion dollar company like facebook can justify releasing Paper only on iOS, only an iPhone optimized version, and only in the US. Kinda baffling.
12:27 AM on 04/20/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
I don't understand how a multiple billion dollar company like facebook can justify releasing Paper only on iOS, only an iPhone optimized version, and only in the US. Kinda baffling.
Really? Makes total sense for that product and team.
07:54 AM on 04/20/14 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old

Why does it make more sense for Paper to be iOS-only than any other app produced by Facebook??
09:19 AM on 04/20/14 
User Info.
lp670sv
Go Sabres
Buffalo, NY
Male - 22 Years Old
How does it make sense for a company to purposely limit their market like that?
02:38 PM on 04/20/14 
User Info.
kyle is hk
The Goddamn Loveliest Melody
Jersey
Male - 24 Years Old
From what I remember Paper came out of their tiny "Creative Labs" team. So I'd imagine there's an issue of scaling there.
04:16 PM on 04/21/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
How does it make sense for a company to purposely limit their market like that?

Why does it make more sense for Paper to be iOS-only than any other app produced by Facebook??

A few reasons:

First it's rolled out as basically a way to test new ways to interact with the product. It's not meant to be the main app at the moment, it's meant for a small subset of users. Second, it's being developed by Mike Matas -- longtime Apple developer (and former Apple employee) -- and using techniques and interactions that only work fluidly on iOS. The animations and UX stuff they are doing can only be done reliably on iOS. Third, the (unstated) goal appears to be to appeal to a subset of Facebook users that really value design and that experience -- by and large those users are iOS users. It's another part of the reason most apps do go iOS first: it's a better platform to develop for and the users are better users. They use apps more, they value the design and process more, and they equate to "better" users. If you're looking to experiment via your Creative Labs department with with a new paradigm for browsing your product -- developing for a platform with less fragmentation and an engaged userbase makes the most sense. The experimentation allows you to A-B test new features and a new experience without alienating your entire customer base. If only a small % end up using it every single day -- but they're using it because it brings them joy and value when the other app did not (I fall into that category, I use Paper far more cause I really like it -- and I avoided Facebook on mobile before) -- that's a net win. You have engaged and delighted a group you weren't before.

And lastly ... with an experimental release, it makes sense to go small and then expand:

1) The launch is US only
2) The launch is on iPhone only
3) The launch is on iOS 7 only

They went small on purpose to best optimize the experience.

(More from the developers themselves.)
10:32 PM on 04/23/14 
User Info.
brook183
@brooks_an
Southgate, MI
Male - 23 Years Old
I've been using only Paper since it was released, it's much better.
01:48 PM on 05/05/14 
User Info.
RaginCajun
I didn't know she was your sister
when i was in college facebook was amazing. it was simple. every week we would check where the parties/events were, the cost to attend, the location, the amount of kegs, and which of our friends already rsvp'd and then we'd go. now it's just a huge useless timeline.
05:09 AM on 05/06/14 
User Info.
iamalexenglish
Aren't Kids Anymore…
Pennsylvania
Male - 17 Years Old
Lol college sounds like it was fun for you
05:17 AM on 05/06/14 
User Info.
brook183
@brooks_an
Southgate, MI
Male - 23 Years Old
Lol
05:13 PM on 05/28/14 
User Info.
se7ernmusic
No Avatar Selected
Derby
Male
I don't see why people moan so much. Mark owns the company. You either use the FREE service or you don't. Yes things adapt and things change.. but for the better experience and it will all benefit us.
The developers at facebook are very brainy and mindful. don't always get things right first time around.. But people don't get a choice and have to get use to the idea.

Whilst I'm annoyed I had to download another app to my phone to message people, I know exactly why they have done this. They're introducing new features to the FBAPP in the next year and need to cut the size of the app down to stop lag on both ends. :D

And no... I don't work for Facebook. I'm just a fan of Marks work.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos