Username
Password

12:47 PM on 04/17/14 
User Info.
lp670sv
Go Sabres
Buffalo, NY
Male - 22 Years Old
My little bro wants to get a 2-in-1 laptop/tablet for college, any recommendations?
The yoga line looks pretty good. Transformer books if he wants the keyboard to be removable.
02:54 PM on 04/17/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
My little bro wants to get a 2-in-1 laptop/tablet for college, any recommendations?
Depending on price, I'd look at something else for college ... but if he insists:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...bsolutepunk-20
03:27 PM on 04/17/14 
User Info.
brook183
@brooks_an
Southgate, MI
Male - 23 Years Old
The yoga line looks pretty good. Transformer books if he wants the keyboard to be removable.

Depending on price, I'd look at something else for college ... but if he insists:

Thanks. I think he wants to be able to have a tablet but doesn't want a Surface as his main device, and he can't afford both a tablet and a laptop. If he was going into a creative field or something I'd probably try to sway him from a 2 in 1.
06:16 PM on 04/17/14 
User Info.
lp670sv
Go Sabres
Buffalo, NY
Male - 22 Years Old
Thanks. I think he wants to be able to have a tablet but doesn't want a Surface as his main device, and he can't afford both a tablet and a laptop. If he was going into a creative field or something I'd probably try to sway him from a 2 in 1.
Yeah the surface pro is pretty pricey too and no one should get an RT. The one Jason posted isn't bad, not a fan of the Intel Atom line but they have been improving to an extent. Whatever he gets I would advice SSD and SSD only, you're losing out on some storage space to be sure but a mechanical hard drive is the most likely thing to break in any portable device. SSDs have been honestly the the single best advancement for computing, everything is so much faster and they are a lot more durable than HDDs now that the tech has matured.
11:52 AM on 04/18/14 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
Yeah, if he wants a 2 in 1, I definitely agree the Asus Transformer is going to be his best bet. Really cool how the keyboard detaches, too. Honestly though, you can find a bluetooth keyboard to pair with just about any tablet on Amazon for like $10, so I wouldn't necessarily let that be the only deciding factor; i pair a cheap, shitty keyboard to my Galaxy Note for school (the stylus support is sweet for notes), and it gets the job done perfectly fine
11:59 AM on 04/18/14 
User Info.
brook183
@brooks_an
Southgate, MI
Male - 23 Years Old
Yeah, if he wants a 2 in 1, I definitely agree the Asus Transformer is going to be his best bet. Really cool how the keyboard detaches, too. Honestly though, you can find a bluetooth keyboard to pair with just about any tablet on Amazon for like $10, so I wouldn't necessarily let that be the only deciding factor; i pair a cheap, shitty keyboard to my Galaxy Note for school (the stylus support is sweet for notes), and it gets the job done perfectly fine
Yeah I agree, this is probably what I would do too. He's not going to get it until later this summer though so maybe he'll change his mind.
09:07 PM on 04/18/14 
User Info.
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
Male - 25 Years Old
Anyone else use Windows Phone?

Wrote a music app because the standard one is terrible and a real black spot on what has otherwise turned in a really strong mobile OS. Would love to get some user feedback / suggestions on it. Current UI is a little clunky, but if you get past that it supports stuff like playlists, changing track position, shuffling your play queue around, last.fm scrobbling...

Go download it
10:26 AM on 04/27/14 
User Info.
Your Milkshake
...I drink it
Male - 24 Years Old
gonna bump this.

I have a Lenovo Yoga and it rules. Cant recommend it enough. The thing is tiny, lightning fast, doesnt get hot, has ten finger touch and 3200X1800 resolution screen. It can run intensive programs too very well like 3D modeling softwares and digital audio workstations thanks to the new haswell cpus. Theres no laptop on the market that really even competes with it too well. Only thing is mine ran 1200 bucks. Its basically a better and cheaper Macbook Air that also functions as a tablet.
01:47 PM on 04/29/14 
User Info.
scuby89
No Avatar Selected
windows 8.1 is the best
08:10 PM on 05/01/14 
User Info.
brook183
@brooks_an
Southgate, MI
Male - 23 Years Old
He changed his mind and is gonna get the Note 10.1, thanks!
07:29 PM on 05/20/14 
User Info.
S/T
There's a lot of buzz around Lenny
Surface Pro 3 Announcement.

Looks impressive.
07:42 PM on 05/20/14 
User Info.
lp670sv
Go Sabres
Buffalo, NY
Male - 22 Years Old
I fucking hate that 3:2 aspect ratio, 16:9, 16:10 or fuck off.
10:17 AM on 05/21/14 
User Info.
eriatarka24
That looks real nice.
02:49 PM on 05/21/14 
User Info.
Your Milkshake
...I drink it
Male - 24 Years Old
eh Surface is a bit thick and heavy. theres laptops that are much thinner and lighter that still manage to completely destroy the Surface's specs. there should be better tablets that run windows than the Surface but I guess theres not.

edit: just saw the new one is .36 inch thick and 1.8 lbs. very intredasting. the last ones were kinda beasts
06:45 PM on 05/21/14 
User Info.
JamieTheSonger
05 Fuck Em
New York City
Male - 19 Years Old

What else would you recommend?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests