AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Related News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Open Thread: Record Store Day 2014

Posted by - 12:32 PM on 04/18/14
Well, if you're not busy discussing if Record Store Day has been ruined, there are some cool releases coming out. Plus, I say getting outside to visit your local record store with some friends is as good an excuse as any (vinyl and beer is the secret to long living). We've created this open thread to discuss all the releases for this year. We'll keep it open throughout the weekend to post about what you've found and picked up and/or share any other deals that show up. Check the first post for some thoughts from staff on what they're looking to grab this year.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 132
12:32 PM on 04/18/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
Jason Tate:

As for me, I think I'll be heading to one or more of Portland's stores to look for that Paramore record, see if I can find Dessa's Castor, the Twin, and be looking for this Butch Walker 10".

Also, this is as good a place as any to plug the turntable/vinyl/record player thread in the technology forum.

Drew Beringer:

Margot and The Nuclear So and So’s - Slingshot To Heaven

If you aren’t attending Record Store Day at Luna Music in Indianapolis, then there’s a pretty good chance you won’t be picking up this special variant, as the Broad Ripple shop will have an exclusive yellow variant limited to 75. Margot is beloved in Indiana and the band’s latest record may be its best - it’s undoubtedly my most sought-after record this year.

Childish Gambino - Because The Internet

This is a RSD “First” release, which means it’ll initially only be sold by participating record stores on Saturday and then will be released to the masses at a later date. This is the first “proper” pressing of Gambino’s second Glassnote release (the label released “bootleg” versions back in December) and includes Donald Glover’s immense screenplay along with two slabs of 180 gram black wax.

Ray Parker, Jr. - Ghostbusters
There’s always one novelty record every year that I really want and this year’s edition is the glow-in-the-dark 10” of Ray Parker, Jr.’s infectiously catchy Ghostbusters theme (as well as an instrumental and the much-needed dance and dub remixes). One of my favorite movies ever and one o the best themes ever - this is a must.

Various Artists - In Utero: In Tribute: In Entirety
The 12-song tribute album collects tracks from a healthy variety of artists covering Nirvana’s final studio album in full - Including contributions from well-known groups Thursday and Circa Survive, longtime label cohorts Daughters, Young Widows, Pygmy Lush and Thou, new comrades Ceremony, Mean Jeans and Whirr, and some of the final recorded works from Jay Reatard, These Arms Are Snakes and Black Math Horseman. Available on maroon wax, it doesn’t matter if you’re a diehard Nirvana fan or not, this is an essential piece for any collection.

Death Cab For Cutie - Live With Magik*Magik Orchestra

A must-have for any Death Cab collector, this double 180gram set features a ton of stone cold DCFC classics performed live with Magik*Magik Orchestra.

Greg Robson:

Every year Record Store Day gets better. More releases, more bands, what’s not to love? Honestly it’s the greatest music holiday ever and I hope like heck it never ends. As always, there’s an awful lot of music I hope to purchase. The following is a quick list of some of my highlights:

The Wild Feathers: “Got it Wrong”/“Marie” 7 inch split: Any time this band releases something, I plan on picking it up. Their self-titled remains the strongest collection of roots-rock I’ve heard since Son Volt’s Trace. An absolute must-have.

Lydia Loveless - “Blind” 7-inch: Her cover of Ke$ha is mind-blowing and needs to be heard on vinyl to be fully understood. Few singers are taking the chances that Loveless is taking. She’s a blessing to the world of music and this is a chance to support her triumphant spirit.

Music Finland 10-inch: Last year was the debut of this quirky, albeit rewarding compilation. Not many people are clued in on the wonder that is Finnish music. This collaboration hopes to shed light on just how oft-overlooked the Finnish music scene truly is.

LCD Soundsystem: The Long Goodbye: Live at Madison Square Gaden: There’s a hole that will never be filled courtesy of LCD Soundsystem and the zany wunderkind that is James Murphy. Their farewell concert at MSG remains a personal heaven for hordes and this unabridged recording is a chance to have it as your own personal heaven. Need I say more?

Foals: Live at Royal Albert Hall: This 8-track effort of the British heavyweights at Royal Albert Hall proves why they’re highly regarded as one of the world’s best live acts. Though their latest effort left me wanting more, this LP leaves it all on the stage. Live music should always be this powerful.
12:58 PM on 04/18/14
Steve_JustAGuy
www.justaguy.us
User Info.
Saw The Wild Feathers open for Gary Clark Jr. and they killed it. Recommend that people pick that up.
01:00 PM on 04/18/14
Simulcast
All farewells are sudden
User Info.
Might have to pick up that Zappa 7".
01:00 PM on 04/18/14
craigisashark
craigisashark
User Info.
Mondo's ParaNorman OST looks fantastic!
01:12 PM on 04/18/14
gabrielM
User Info.
I'm looking for the Death Cab, Dads, and Built to Spill. Those are my top 3.

Second level interests are the Ghostbustets theme, Conor Oberst 7", and Badbadnotgood.

What time is everyone waking up to head out?
01:19 PM on 04/18/14
Mattylikesfilms
If You Dig Up The Dead...
User Info.
Im working till like 4am tomorrow then heading over to origami vinyl (Los Angeles) to get in line to get free shit and the Nirvana Pennyroyal Tea 7"
01:19 PM on 04/18/14
Mattylikesfilms
If You Dig Up The Dead...
User Info.
Im working till like 4am tomorrow then heading over to origami vinyl (Los Angeles) to get in line to get free shit and the Nirvana Pennyroyal Tea 7"
01:22 PM on 04/18/14
mms13
should i say something sensational?
User Info.
I'll be at Soundgarden in Baltimore! Looking to get Bayside, Fun., Childish Gambino, and Death Cab!
01:25 PM on 04/18/14
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
I'll be at Luna Music in Indianapolis tomorrow
01:26 PM on 04/18/14
SweetThye
esta noche sera mia
User Info.
For me the top 5 must have exclusives are:

• Circa Survive/SDRE split
• Death Cab LIVE 2012
• Frightened Rabbit LIVE at Criminal Records in Atlanta (Gift for a friend)
• Pinback's first self-titled record
• Dads Woman EP

After that I would like to have all three Crosses EPs, Ghostbusters, and Childish Gambino's Because the internet but I'll probably pass on those as I'm tight on cash and can wait on future releases.

I'll be going to my local small town store called Al Bum's Record Shoppe and then heading to Criminal Records in Atlanta, GA.
01:31 PM on 04/18/14
the seventeenth
level 71 community member
User Info.
Mondo's ParaNorman OST looks fantastic!
Was hoping someone would bring this up. The coraline one looks dirty too... I don't own any vinyls, or the player, but I'm seriously considering picking one of those up...
01:38 PM on 04/18/14
coreysetfail
I Blue Myself.
User Info.
I know this is a stretch but is it possible for anyone at all to attempt to pick me up a copy of the Childish Gambino 'Because The Internet' record? It's like $40.00 so I understand if nobody could help me out with this but I'm out of options. The closest record store to me is Soundgarden in Syracuse and they're opening at 9 - I'm an hour and a half away from there and I'm not about to drive that distance that early in the morning to wait in line and then have them not even have any copies left. So if anyone can scoop me a copy I'd be willing to pay $60.00 or so to cover shipping and whatever else. PM me if you can help at all? We can exchange numbers or something.
01:47 PM on 04/18/14
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Even though I'm living in Hollywood now, I'm headed back to Pasadena for RSD - wonderful little store called Canterbury that tends to get every RSD release.

My personal goals: Paramore, Fun., Jay-Z/Linkin Park, Crosses, Ghostbusters, The Muppet Movie, Circa/SDRE.

I'll try to grab everything, though - sold a few records to AP.net users who weren't able to find things.
01:48 PM on 04/18/14
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
And I'm going to blow way, way too much on the online stores. Definitely grabbing some RFC stuff I missed (Daylight, B&C split, Seahaven) at the very least.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos