AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Related News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

AbsolutePlaylist: Favourite '00s Canadian Pop-Punk/Punk Songs

Posted by - 09:22 AM on 05/09/14
I decided to get a little nostalgic with this week's AbsolutePlaylist by looking at some of my favourite Canadian pop-punk/punk tracks from the 2000s. Since I was born in 1990 that's the first decade I really started paying attention to music and while most of those bands aren't doing stuff in 2014 I know I'll never totally forget about them. Check out my picks in the replies and feel free to chime in with your favourite songs too.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 50
09:22 AM on 05/09/14
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
I knew I had to kick things off with Sum 41, Gob and Treble Charger because they were some the biggest bands back in the day and were probably the gateway drug for thousands of kids, myself included. I've already said this before, but Sum 41 was my first show and that band was my life during junior high. I quickly lost interest when Dave Baksh quit in 2006, but I will always have a soft spot in my heart for this band, even if I think nearly everything they've done since is forgettable.

Sum 41 - "Rhythms"

Treble Charger - "Hundred Million"

Gob - "Everyone Pushed Down"

For the middle of the playlist I wanted to choose smaller bands that did well in the 2000s, but never seemed able to keep the momentum going, for a variety of different reasons. Most of them were also bands I discovered through MuchMusic, either during regular rotation or during The Punk Show, which was hosted by George Stroumboulopoulos before he quit to work for the CBC. The only real exception is Daggermouth, who I never really started listening to until Smallman Records released Turf Wars in 2007. And speaking of Smallman, I just listed some of their best records for AUX two days ago if you're looking for even more tunes.

Not By Choice - "Now That You Are Leaving"

Boys Night Out - "I Was the Devil for One Afternoon"

Jersey - "Generation Genocide"

Belvedere
- "Slaves to the Pavement"

Daggermouth - "You Do This as a Fad, We Do This as a Lifestyle"

I wanted to leave the playlist on more of a hopeful note, looking at bands that really started making strides as the decade came to a close. The first is The Flatliners, who managed to sign with one of my favourite labels (Fat Wreck Chords) and continue to release quality records. The band's latest Dead Language was even nominated for a JUNO Award this past year.

The Flatliners - "Mother Teresa Chokeslams the World"

And despite all the line-up changes Living With Lions have managed to keep it together, which I think is somewhat impressive. I've been a diehard fan since the Dude Manor EP came out and I love everything they've released since then. I've also seen them close to 10 times, the first being when they toured across Canada with Boys Night Out, Sights & Sounds and Sick City in 2007. If I had to choose my all-time favourite it would be Living With Lions without question and I can't recommend those guys enough.

Living With Lions - "A Bottle of Charades"

09:38 AM on 05/09/14
SkyGrowsBigger
User Info.
Great list, Deborah. The World According to Gob and All Killer No Filler were a few of the albums that got me into this type of music and like yourself, that continued with Boys Night Out, Daggermouth, Living With Lions (who I actually saw last night). Keep up that Canadian coverage!
09:44 AM on 05/09/14
billyboatkid
The Protagonist of Loneliness
User Info.
You needa throw some SYDNEY up in that bitch and Silverstein.
09:45 AM on 05/09/14
Uilliam
boom, roasted
User Info.
daggermouth :)
great list! canadian pride haha.
09:52 AM on 05/09/14
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
You needa throw some SYDNEY up in that bitch and Silverstein.

I tried to keep it away from the heavier stuff, though I did cheat a tiny bit with Boys Night Out. That's why Alexisonfire, Protest the Hero, all those bands aren't on there. As for Sydney, I never really got into them personally, kinda like Ten Second Epic. I expect some people will give me shit for not including TSE, haha.

Great list, Deborah. The World According to Gob and All Killer No Filler were a few of the albums that got me into this type of music and like yourself, that continued with Boys Night Out, Daggermouth, Living With Lions (who I actually saw last night). Keep up that Canadian coverage!

Thanks!
10:24 AM on 05/09/14
caveBEAR
( ω )
User Info.
I remember this video that used to be on MuchMusic back in the day, it was some generic pop punk band, the video was them playing on a cruise ship while some pageant or beauty show was going on? I don't know, it's just a random video that stuck in my head, I remember liking the song, and it is lost to the broken hard drives of the past lol
10:25 AM on 05/09/14
thatwasamoment
RICH GANNON WAR WAGON
User Info.
"I hear you calling" from GOB has been stuck in my head the last few days, what a coincidence!
10:31 AM on 05/09/14
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
I remember this video that used to be on MuchMusic back in the day, it was some generic pop punk band, the video was them playing on a cruise ship while some pageant or beauty show was going on? I don't know, it's just a random video that stuck in my head, I remember liking the song, and it is lost to the broken hard drives of the past lol

It's Not By Choice! I chose another song by them for my playlist, but I love that one too and here's the video if you're feeling nostalgic:

"I hear you calling" from GOB has been stuck in my head the last few days, what a coincidence!

Such a great song!
10:31 AM on 05/09/14
Mikey Switz
User Info.
Get Your Head Straight, or really anything from BNO :)
10:33 AM on 05/09/14
caveBEAR
( ω )
User Info.
It's Not By Choice! I chose another song by them for my playlist, but I love that one too and here's the video if you're feeling nostalgic:

this is why you're my favorite staff member lol

thank you! that's awesome! I need to check out a few of these guys I missed. Any other Canadian bands from that era you like that didn't make the cut?
10:49 AM on 05/09/14
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
this is why you're my favorite staff member lol

thank you! that's awesome! I need to check out a few of these guys I missed. Any other Canadian bands from that era you like that didn't make the cut?

No problem, glad I'm your favourite, haha. Smallman was one of the definitive labels from that era, I actually just did a list of essential albums for a Canadian music media outlet and I recommend you check it out. Carpenter, Moneen and Sick City are my absolute favourites:

http://www.aux.tv/2014/05/9-essentia...llman-records/

While I'm not a huge Ten Second Epic fan they still have a few good songs. "Something Beautiful" by Cauterize almost made the cut, but didn't last minute. The Artist Life's full-length was a little disappointing, but the EP they did in 2008 through Underground Operations was cool and you might like it.
10:53 AM on 05/09/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
Daggermouth! Gob. Belvedere.

I liked alllll these bands so much.

Totally had forgotten about Trebel Chatger.
10:54 AM on 05/09/14
Anthony Sorendino
You are not your idea.
User Info.
I put in the Rdio and Spotify versions at the bottom, but they're here as well:

It looks like the Spotify web player is down, but if you pop the link into your desktop player, it'll come up.
10:58 AM on 05/09/14
sondidecaro
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I feel like no matter what you need to include Somehow Hollow and Grade. Amazing bands.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos