Password

Album Review

The Black Keys - Turn Blue Album Cover

The Black Keys - Turn Blue

Reviewed by
The Black Keys - Turn Blue
Release Date : May 12th, 2014
Label : Nonesuch Records
The Black Keys aren't exactly new to the music scene. In their career that has spanned 13 years, Dan Auerbach and Patrick Carney have released 7 albums that have gathered praise from critics and rock fans alike, most notably their 2010 release Brothers which brought the duo a lot of commercial success and resulted in them becoming a grammy winning household name. Have the Ohio boys managed to continue their golden run with Turn Blue or has the success finally came to a halt?

One thing that you can rely on is the Black Keys delivering the goods on production values. Turn Blue isn't any different. Co-producer Brian “Danger Mouse” Burton returns to lend a helping hand after assisting on El Camino and Brothers and his involvement really shows, managing to use the band’s blues rock canvas and fine stroking every detail that adds to the artistic brilliance of this album. This isn't just a one man effort like it may have been back when the band started off as Auerbach and Carney are well regarded producers themselves with Dan assisting the likes of Lana Del Rey while Patrick has helped with lower profile bands like The Sheepdogs. You’d expect too many producers meddling with the sound to spoil it but it does just the opposite.

After 8 albums, you’d also expect Auerbach and Carney’s quality song-writing and talent to slip somewhat but you’d be wrong. The title track manages to highlight Auerbach’s falsetto voice’s finesse which prowls after Carney’s pitter patter drums which help to create a song that’s large in scale and one that needs to be listened through earphones, as advised by the duo, to really experience every fine detail that it captivates. "Fever," the record’s first single, has an almost cyborg sounding background noise at the start and the rest of the track is just as interesting, showing the duo’s funkiness and an organ melody that once you’ve heard, you’ll fall in love with instantly. "In Time" features some ghostly vocals that are weirdly seductive sounding at the same time, as if Patrick Swayze somehow made his way onto the track. One of Turn Blue’s highlights has to be opening track "Weight Of Love" that has an intro so reminiscent of Pink Floyd’s "Speak To Me/ Breathe" that you can see the 70’s influence escaping from your earphones. At 7 minutes long, it’s dangerously close to overstaying its welcome but its absence would definitely be one that would be missed.

Other critics, I’m looking at you NME, might complain that Turn Blue isn’t like the band’s previous outings but when an alteration of the formula sounds as funky, psychedelic and overall amazing as Black Key’s latest record does, is that really a bad thing? The duo’s golden run is still continuing and at this rate, it’ll be one to make Dorothy herself jealous.

Recommended If You LikeGarage Rock; Royal Blood; The White Stripes - Elephant

http://celxbration-day.tumblr.com/
https://myspace.com/menzies96
This review is a user submitted review from menzies96. You can see all of menzies96's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
06:08 AM on 05/15/14
InfiniteArms
Oh, the places you'll go!
User Info.
Well written review, however I disagree with the score, and the overall premise.
12:25 PM on 05/15/14
letsgoflyers
User Info.
Album is incredible. I really like the progression they've made, and as noted, this album is 100% a headphone album.
02:05 PM on 05/15/14
kyleabent
Shaman
User Info.
Meh. If there aint any cool riff/lick to play on the guitar such as "I got mine", then I'm not one to spend the time.
05:37 PM on 06/07/14
menzies96
Menzies
User Info.
Well written review, however I disagree with the score, and the overall premise.
Thanks man, I can understand why some folk would disagree with the score, looking back on it I might have been too positive about certain aspects though it's still one of my favourites of 2014 so far
05:37 AM on 06/17/14
Skinkie
User Info.
I'd lump the album somewhere in the middle of their catalog, not as high as the first few, but I like it quite a bit better than the last one. Weight of Love and Gotta Get Away are pure classics

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos