AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Related News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

AP.net Podcast: Being Negative, Buying Vinyl, Inspiring Hashtags...

Posted by - 02:40 PM on 05/23/14
This week on the AbsolutePunk.net Podcast, Drew, Thomas, and I talk about the role of a "music critic" and our thoughts on negative reviews and negative commentary in general. Why write negative reviews? Why voice a negative opinion? All three of us had different takes on how this plays a role in our online lives. After that there's a lengthy discussion about the current "vinyl debate" and the ethics and business decisions behind licensing and selling vinyl both with or without the artist's explicit permission, and our personal thoughts on the topic and how it relates to our musical world. The episode can be streamed and/or downloaded in the replies.

Want to make sure you never miss an episode? You can subscribe to this podcast in iTunes, via your own RSS feed reader, on SoundCloud, or on Stitcher. You can also find all of our previous episodes archived on our podcast page, iTunes and SoundCloud.

Sponsor:

Fracture: Photos printed in vivid color directly on glass. Use code dadswag for 20% off.

Hosts:

Drew Beringer's Twitter

Thomas Nassiff's Twitter

Jason Tate's Twitter
Jason Tate's Blog

Want to sponsor?Interested in sponsoring an episode of the podcast? This is a great way to reach our loyal audience about an album or song release, special merch sale, upcoming tour ... or even an app, service, or product to sell. We can even do things like play a portion of your song and have our hosts talk a little bit about it and give thoughts. Each sponsorship also comes with a link in the podcast post right here on the homepage.

Email us for more information.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 48
02:41 PM on 05/23/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
Also this episode and our podcast in general should now also be available in the XBox Music Store. I'm not sure exactly how that works -- but was told we're good to go by Microsoft -- so if anyone has an XBox or Windows Phone 8 -- you should be able to find it now. If you can't please let me know.

Ohhh, and Thomas cuts out just a tad at the beginning and was unfixable in post -- but all of that gets fixed within 5 minutes.

And last thing ... if you like our podcast and could rate it on iTunes, that would rule!
03:32 PM on 05/23/14
Ryan Dennehy
negative review conversation is super interesting to me
03:35 PM on 05/23/14
Ryan Dennehy
here is the perfect example of a garbage negative review where the reviewers snark becomes the story: http://thequietus.com/articles/15274...stories-review
03:39 PM on 05/23/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
here is the perfect example of a garbage negative review where the reviewers snark becomes the story: http://thequietus.com/articles/15274...stories-review
Does this even count as a 'review'? Geesh. I feel dumber for having read that.
03:41 PM on 05/23/14
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
All the more great in light of #gfytn round 3.
03:45 PM on 05/23/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
Oddly relevant given that whole situation.
03:45 PM on 05/23/14
Ryan Dennehy
Does this even count as a 'review'? Geesh. I feel dumber for having read that.
It's awful. The site is normally fantastically written and covers great content but like...nah. Don't do this. It's bad. You'd be better off going to the p4k jet review route than this.
03:47 PM on 05/23/14
Ryan Dennehy
what's this?
03:57 PM on 05/23/14
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
It's awful. The site is normally fantastically written and covers great content but like...nah. Don't do this. It's bad. You'd be better off going to the p4k jet review route than this.
The sanctuary review Mumford route, if you will
03:58 PM on 05/23/14
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
Thomas tweeted about balance being subpar live (he's spot on, even though he said he liked the album a lot, which is doodoo) and both the singer and guitar player subtweeted about it since he was on their guest list. I guess that requires a positive review in some backwards world.
05:07 PM on 05/23/14
ChaseTx
Yeah that Coldplay article is awful
05:36 PM on 05/23/14
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I've been talking about this subject quite a bit lately - anxious to hear this.
05:45 PM on 05/23/14
stonecoldfox
You can't afford to live like this
User Info.
The negative review topic sounds really interesting. It always bugs me when reviewers clearly go into an album with bias and the write - up is just an attempt to slam the artist rather than critique the art.
05:54 PM on 05/23/14
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
The negative review topic sounds really interesting. It always bugs me when reviewers clearly go into an album with bias and the write - up is just an attempt to slam the artist rather than critique the art.
Every review is written with bias. Every single one

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version