AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Related News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

AbsolutePlaylist: "Night Moves"

Posted by - 01:19 AM on 05/30/14
This week's AbsolutePlaylist may feel a bit bizarre. Shaped around my night owl tendencies, "night moves" features the finest, darkest, and starkest cuts from some of my favorite artists - the type of music I want to listen to whether I'm driving aimlessly at 3 AM or lying in bed restless. Expect imperfect vocals, raw and ultra personal lyrics, loud/quiet/loud dynamics, and the unexpected. And one can only truly experience said playlist once the sun sets. Let's get weird in the replies.

Remember, if you'd like to submit your very own playlist, head over to our submission thread!

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 25
01:20 AM on 05/30/14
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.

1. Condolences by Touché Amoré from the album Parting The Sea Between Brightness and Me
2. No Eyes by Baths from the album Obsidian
3. Ancestors, The Ancients by Chelsea Wolfe from the album Pain is Beauty
4. Cold Heaven by Death of Lovers from the album Buried Under A World Of Roses
5. Heard About You Last Night by Mogwai from the album Rave Tapes
6. A Darker Forest by Thursday from the album No Devolución
7. Eat Him By His Own Light by Jonny Greenwood from the original motion picture soundtrack There Will Be Blood
8. Aletta by Self Defense Family from the album Try Me
9. Guilty of Everything by Nothing from the album Guilty of Everything
10. Hand Covers Bruise by Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross from the original motion picture soundtrack The Social Network
11. Violet by Deafheaven from the album Roads to Judah

Anyone who knows me understands that I'm a vampire, night owl, etc. - basically, I never sleep and my mind races instead. Weird impulses, haunted memories, and just looking into the void go hand-in-hand with these late nights. The playlist above calms me, inspires me, and channels those wandering thoughts into something creative. It features some deep cuts from my favorite artists currently (as well as sprinkling in two of my favorite soundtrack instrumentals) that are equal parts devastating, abrasive, and beautiful - each one yearning for a deeper understand of the world we live in (and it wouldn't be complete with one of the most stirring songs in Deafheaven's discography).

This is not for the faint of heart or the easily distracted, as "night moves" consists of challenging anthems that require your full attention. But I guarantee that some, if not all, of these tracks resonate deeply within you, the quiet-loud-quiet dynamics hitting all the right cylinders. Go ahead, the night awaits.
06:19 AM on 05/30/14
ThereWeWere
User Info.
Some really awesome music here. I love The Social Network soundtrack as well, one of my favorites
07:47 AM on 05/30/14
whyte39
www.alexwhyte.com
User Info.
Wow. That Baths song. Is good.
08:22 AM on 05/30/14
gingerrunning
Jus felt like runnin'
User Info.
This is a solid, solid, mixtape. Thanks for sharing!
09:15 AM on 05/30/14
Chris Collum
User Info.
Sweet stuff Drew, I'm just like you and often stay up for most of the night so I'll give this a spin next time that happens
12:05 PM on 05/30/14
OctoberOrigins
Jack
User Info.
Awesome playlist!
02:00 PM on 05/30/14
Kyle Huntington
GIVEN TO THE WILD
User Info.
I'm probably gonna LOVE this mix. Can't wait to listen, Drew and I share a love for this kind of music via Chelsea Wolfe and Baths and I've even checked out the likes of Deafheaven because of you, so I'm looking forward to this potentially leading me to discover other stuff I may have dismissed before hand or not bothered with. The mood of the music I mentioned I already like from this mix and nights like this sum me up to a tee, so I'm excited.
02:10 PM on 05/30/14
climaXTheatrix
User Info.
p decent
is there a community spotify pl? collaborative?
02:35 PM on 05/30/14
hellogoodbye758
User Info.
It feels like blasphemy to exclude Bob Seger's "Night Moves" from a playlist of the same name...
03:12 PM on 05/30/14
Penguin
Twenty Centuries Of Sleep
User Info.
Nothing describes my nights better than, "driving aimlessly at 3 AM or lying in bed restless." I will most certainly be listening to this later when I can't sleep.
05:40 PM on 05/30/14
prettyLUSH16
Soundtrack To A Headrush
User Info.
My go to late night driving song is "Sleep" by Story Of The Year.
09:28 PM on 05/30/14
TheBaroness
User Info.
Awesome playlist
12:10 AM on 05/31/14
Drew Beringer
User Info.
Some really awesome music here. I love The Social Network soundtrack as well, one of my favorites
thanks! yeah that soundtrack rules and I wish I could track down a copy of it on vinyl that didn't include an astronomical price
12:11 AM on 05/31/14
Drew Beringer
User Info.
Wow. That Baths song. Is good.
yeah his stuff is really phenomenal - he just released a new EP earlier this month that everyone should check out.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos