Password

Album Review

Joyce Manor - Never Hungover Again Album Cover

Joyce Manor - Never Hungover Again

Reviewed by
Joyce Manor - Never Hungover Again
Release Date: July 22, 2014
Record Label: Epitaph
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
The first rule of listening to Joyce Manor is not turning Joyce Manor into a quote unquote big deal. In a culture that's always so eager to deem something the "next big thing," it's only natural that bloggers and journalists alike have turned their ears and eyes towards the Torrance, CA, quartet. But here's a new flash - Joyce Manor only wants to play super-catchy punk in super-efficient bursts of auditory ecstasy. The band isn't here to defend pop-punk, revive emo, or save rock and roll - instead Joyce Manor is just a group of four dudes that like hardcore while also possessing an affinity for pop hooks - nothing more and nothing less - and all the band wants to do is have a good time, play some solid tunes, and maybe have an adult beverage or five afterwards.

Joyce Manor's third full-length album (and Epitaph Records debut), the aptly-titled Never Hungover Again, accomplishes just that. The band has continued to expand and refine their ADD-riddle pop-punk into something more substantial and LP3 chronicles the growth in songwriting while maintaining the spastic charm of the band's earlier releases. Tracks like the playfully hectic "Heart Tattoo" (Matt Ebert's bass line is the track's life source) and the brisk "Victoria" are shining beacons of this, while the angsty, early Alkaline Trio-vibe of "In The Army Now" will please fans of band's self-titled debut. But first single (if you'd even call it that) "Catalina Fight Song" exemplifies everything you love about Joyce Manor. Barely eclipsing a minute, "Catalina" avoids the build-up of normal song structures and drops the listener smack-dab into a fist-pumping, unruly crescendo. It's all uppers without any of the side effects.

Despite only clocking in at 19 minutes, Never Hungover Again still finds a variety of ways to incorporate different tempos and techniques over the course of the album's ten tracks. "Christmas Card" opens the album as a stomping, Weezer-esque three-chord mid-tempo jam that showcases vocalist Barry Johnson's mixture of laid-back vocals and wistful lyricism. His delivery sometimes betrays the pain behind the words, with tracks like the intricately woven "Schley" (Johnson and Chase Knobbe's guitar work throughout is top-notch) and somber closer "Heated Swimming Pool" standing out.

If Morrissey decided to write a pop-punk tinged record that focused on the banality of life, it'd probably sound a lot like Never Hungover Again, as "End Of The Summer" and "Falling In Love Again" exhibits Johnson's unique observations in familiar, relatable situations, with the latter serving up some of Joyce Manor's most noticeable strides in songwriting. Layered with caustic riffs and synth-programmed strings, "Falling In Love Again" is Hungover's clear highlight as Johnson captures the highs and lows of a new (or fleeting) romance. Regardless of the album's length, Never Hungover Again is still incredibly character-driven, something Johnson never loses sight of.

Joyce Manor seems like it's in direct conflict with the title Never Hungover Again, as listeners may drink themselves into oblivion while listening to the quartet's near-perfect third album to dull the pain of suburban mundanity. Or maybe the point of the title is that the music pouring out of your floor speakers will make the following morning's migraine seem insignificant. No matter the case, Never Hungover Again is an album meant to be played loud, fast, and constantly. Save the buzzwords for another time and have another drink instead.

9/10

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 44
12:17 AM on 07/31/14
Jake Denning
User Info.
I really need to give this band a fair shot - I've been fairly indifferent. Best song to dive into on this album?
12:29 AM on 07/31/14
AndrewSoup
It's A Secret To Everyone
User Info.
I really need to give this band a fair shot - I've been fairly indifferent. Best song to dive into on this album?
I'd say Falling In Love Again, Schley, or Catalina Fight Song. All excellent tracks.

And great review Drew, I've really been enjoying this album.
01:35 AM on 07/31/14
mka12992
polarisamour.bandcamp.com
User Info.
Falling In Love Again is so fucking good.
05:11 AM on 07/31/14
Aj_LaGambina
Hay Place: A Place for Hay
User Info.
I can see this being a contender for top 5 during the year. Unless there's five albums between now and then that absolutely explode upon listening. Nice Review, Mr. Beringer
05:39 AM on 07/31/14
wall e
Beware of hitchhiking ghosts!
User Info.
Great album, great review, I first hung out with my girlfriend at a Joyce Manor show
05:40 AM on 07/31/14
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
User Info.
I hadn't bothered with them outside of Constant Headache which is a great track from their debut. But It takes just over half hour to listen to the debut (which is great) and this (almost as great) so I just listened start to finish. The songs are so short you notice the variations in their sound way more when you listen front to back.
If you want just one song though from this one... Catalina Fight Song. Check out Constant Headache too.

Their second record didn't do much for me but this has got my attention back.
05:42 AM on 07/31/14
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
User Info.
Band reminds me a little of the Minutemen. Short songs, lots of variation within a defined sound, not taking the music too seriously which makes the records more fun to listen to. And a benchmark punk band of their generation.

The actual sound is different of course, but the similarities are enough for me to draw a comparison.
06:02 AM on 07/31/14
xapplexpiex
&.&
User Info.
The Jerk
06:02 AM on 07/31/14
xapplexpiex
&.&
User Info.
My favorite album by them so far.
08:09 AM on 07/31/14
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
i was surprised to see in a recent interview that they don't like their last album, or felt it was a reaction to some scene or whatever. i love that album and never thought it "fit" into a sound.

this one i like a lot, too. especially the singles. it'll be interested to see what they do with this and epitaph, because i do feel they are a band that not everyone will get, despite being pretty poppy and super catchy.
08:11 AM on 07/31/14
Trased152425
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I love this album, but I can't justify to myself buying it on iTunes.
08:27 AM on 07/31/14
cubsml34
A Class 3 KILLSTORM
User Info.
Album is fucking great, at least top 10 this year for me
09:06 AM on 07/31/14
rbf737
User Info.
Maybe it's the fact that it's only 19 minutes but I can listen to it over and over and scarcely get bored. They've even inspired me in part to write straight up punk rock songs again. Solid stuff.
09:10 AM on 07/31/14
cowlord
( »\_(ツ)_/»)
User Info.
One of my friends is obsessed with this record, I still need to look into it

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT