AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Catch 22 - 07.03.06

Interviewed by
Catch 22 - 07.03.06Q: First off, I'd just like to extend a thank you for taking the time to sit down and answer some questions for us. For those people who may not be too familiar with the band, can you please give us your name and what you do in Catch 22?

A: I am Kevin Gunther Jr. and I am also known as KG. I play trumpet and sing.

Q: You just released your brand new album, Permanent Revolution, and I couldn't be happier with it. How has the response to the album been so far?

A: So far so good. It seems like people are really digging it. I mean there are always a bunch of people that have negative stuff to say about what we do but that has never stopped us before, right? There are so many bands doing completely unoriginal records and people kiss their asses but we go out and make a completely original record that might make you think a little and have some fun and catch heat for it. I am honestly talking about 10% of people, but that's the bitch of being in a band or really in any kind of public spotlight. You want everyone to like what you are doing so even if 90% of the people love it you are still going to fight for that 10%.

Q: What inspired you to base the concept of the album around the life of Leon Trotsky?

A: Our trombone player Ian had read some books and thought it was a great story to write about. He pitched it to the band and although it seemed like a tough task, he convinced us. I am glad he did.

Q: Were there other concepts you's were throwing around, or were your eyes set on Trotsky from the beginning?

A: Trotsky all the way, baby!

Q: Is a concept album an idea the band has always had, and can we expect anything like this in the future?

A: I honestly don't know how we will write a record without a concept again, but I guess we will see what happens. Hehe.

Q: How would you describe your new record, both musically and lyrically, to those who haven't had the chance to experience it yet?

A: Musically and lyrically, I feel like its the best work we have ever done. Ryan is really coming into his own as a lead singer. The thing that is great about Ryan is that he just sings the way he sings. He dosen't try to change his voice around and make the perfect punk or ska voice. He has a very unique and distinct sound and I really like it, especially on Permanent Revolution. Ryan and Ian really worked their asses off while writing this record. They literally lived at the studio for three months straight. At one point, I don't think they left the studio for two or three weeks. That was the only way this record was going to get off the ground. A lot of research, a lot of writing, and a lot of cigarettes! I'm proud of them.

Q: You recently shot a video for "The Party Song", the first single from Permanent Revolution. How did that go?

A: The video shoot went great. Major Lightner did the video again, but we had a great hand in writing the concept. It's based on an actual speech that Trotsky made around the timeframe that the song is based on. It's going to look pretty sharp!

Q: Is there anything you can tell us about the video? What should we expect from it?

A: Not much more can be said about "The Party Song", but I can tell you that I saw the rough cut of the second video that we made DIY style. It's for the bands personal favorite song on the record, "The Purge." We really wanted to try our hand at directing and shooting our own video. It looks sick! Both videoes should appear on the website around the same time.

Q: Can we expect to see anything else in terms of music videos, singles, or other goodies from Permanent Revolution?

A: I just answered that question. Hehe. But, one thing that is in the works is a section for the web site detailing all the lyrics and themes from the record. Rumors of a script for stage keep popping up, and I think that would be totally sick. Like I said earlier, we are trying to do something totally original and not just keep rehashing the same stuff. We will see if it works out.

Q: Fans will be able to catch you all summer long on the Summer of Ska tour. How did the tour come about, and what can we expect to see from your performance?

A: A few friends of mine had the name and idea for a Summer of Ska tour a few summers ago. I knew we had a new record coming out, so I called up all my friends and we made it happen. You can expect a lot of new songs and some old. All in all it should be a very entertaining show.

Q: Is there any chance of the Summer of Ska tour making its way to Canada or overseas?

A: We actually just announced Canadian dates, but unfortunately it will just be us and the Voodoo Glow Skulls. UK/Europe is a possibility for Catch 22, but not necessarily the Summer of Ska tour.

Q: What are your plans after the Summer of Ska tour has ran its course?

A: We actually don't have any right now, but I would be shocked if we didn't do a tour in the fall.

Q: On Dinosaur Sounds, we saw you take over the duty of lead vocals here and there. Is this something you decided to do as a one-time thing, or do you plan on singing lead in the future at all?

A: Singing a few leads on Dinosaur Sounds was really fun, and I sing a few leads during the live show, but I don't see myself taking on any more responsibility than I already have. I have had a lot of fun with it but we will see what the future holds.

Q: One of our readers asks "Kevin, according to your friend Josh Lacey, you are addicted to Madden. Can you confirm or deny this rumor? Also, if it is true, how good are you, and what other games would you
recommend?"

A: I am pretty great at Madden for XBOX 360 and I cant wait for the new one to come out in a few months. I am ranked online at about 200, but I have been as high as like 60 or 70. I was never able to crack top 50 but I guess I will have to start over in August when the new one comes out. Right now, I am rocking All Star Baseball 2006 for the 360, and it rules! I am not so good at that one yet. I haven't had much time since I got married in May!

Q: Congratulations on the wedding! How did that go, and how is everything with you and your new wife?

A: The wedding was great. We got married in Orlando, FL at the Walt Disney World Resort. It was pretty small. There were only about 60 family members and friends, but it was really awesome. We just bought a small condo in New Jersey, and we are really doing great. Kim is actually on the road with us for the last few warped tour dates we did, so that has been alot of fun having her around for a few days.

Q: So, your wife is a road dog just like you, eh? Haha.

A: Not at all! The whole showering thing is pretty important to her, so Warped was tough. Hehe.

Q: Just out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on Streetlight Manifesto's re-recording of Keasbey Nights?

A: I think I already answered this question. Next.

Q: Well, unfortunately that's all I have for you today. Is there anything you'd like to tell our readers?

A: Please check out the new record. We worked really hard on it and I think everyone that hears it will really enjoy it!

Q: Thank you very much for your time, Kevin. Have a great day!

A: Peace out, Brandon!

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 25
06:31 PM on 07/03/06
shermanology
Dubnium
User Info.
Wow, he seemed pissed about the streetlight thing. I think there is only one way to solve this.

Full out team deathmatch, Catch 22 verses Streetlight.
06:34 PM on 07/03/06
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
User Info.
Originally Posted by shermanology
Wow, he seemed pissed about the streetlight thing. I think there is only one way to solve this.

Full out team deathmatch, Catch 22 verses Streetlight.
I don't think he's pissed at all, I just think he meant he's answered that question online before and he'd rather not explain his feeling again. :)
06:38 PM on 07/03/06
AdamTheBomb21
True Punk Fan
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Cool interview. They did have a good live show when I saw them last year with RBF. A band I wouldn't mind seeing again
06:40 PM on 07/03/06
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
User Info.
Originally Posted by AdamTheBomb21
Cool interview. They did have a good live show when I saw them last year with RBF. A band I wouldn't mind seeing again
Thank you.
06:54 PM on 07/03/06
MomentOfSilence
http://sistercityband.com
User Info.
Great interview... Brandon holding it down with the awesome ska content :)

Now where's that Streetlight interview you promised me a year ago ;)
06:56 PM on 07/03/06
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
User Info.
Originally Posted by MomentOfSilence
Great interview... Brandon holding it down with the awesome ska content :)

Now where's that Streetlight interview you promised me a year ago ;)
Thanks, buddy! :)

Heather was going to mention the idea to Tomas, but I never got a response. I've still got those questions ready to go, though.
08:00 PM on 07/03/06
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Pretty good interview. Weird how he blew off the Streetlight question.
08:13 PM on 07/03/06
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
User Info.
Originally Posted by xalexislegendx
Pretty good interview. Weird how he blew off the Streetlight question.
Thanks!
08:21 PM on 07/03/06
shermanology
Dubnium
User Info.
Originally Posted by Brandon Allin
I don't think he's pissed at all, I just think he meant he's answered that question online before and he'd rather not explain his feeling again. :)

Hmmm, any idea where I can read this?

Good interview btw, any bit of ska news you can get me makes my day.
08:27 PM on 07/03/06
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
User Info.
Hmmm, any idea where I can read this?

Good interview btw, any bit of ska news you can get me makes my day.
I don't actually know if he's answered it anywhere, that was just my assumption as to why Kevin answered my question the way he did. So, unfortunately, I can't help you. But, i'll look around and see if I can find anything. :)

Thank you!
09:28 PM on 07/03/06
shermanology
Dubnium
User Info.
Originally Posted by Brandon Allin
I don't actually know if he's answered it anywhere, that was just my assumption as to why Kevin answered my question the way he did. So, unfortunately, I can't help you. But, i'll look around and see if I can find anything. :)

Thank you!
Brandon.

You are the fucking man, and you don't seem to get the credit you deserve.
09:37 PM on 07/03/06
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
User Info.
Brandon.

You are the fucking man, and you don't seem to get the credit you deserve.
Well, thanks alot, dude! I don't deserve any credit, though. I'm just doing something I enjoy, that's all. :)

But, thanks. It's nice hearing that.
09:38 PM on 07/03/06
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
User Info.
Originally Posted by apm158
hahaha i know exactly what he meant by "I already answered this question"

and i can tell you ryan feels the exactly the same way about it
We must have missed this, Alan. Could you enlighten us, pal? :)
10:25 PM on 07/03/06
Russ Hockenbury
with special guest
User Info.
I love this band and I love Brandon Allin's SKAnky ass!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos