AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Khlyst - Chaos Is My Name Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 9.5
Production 8.5
Creativity 10
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 87%
Member Ratings
Vocals 0.25
Musicianship 0.25
Lyrics 0.25
Production 0.25
Creativity 0.25
Lasting Value 0.25
Reviewer Tilt 0.25
Average: 3%

Khlyst - Chaos Is My Name

Reviewed by: Pat Marquez (10/22/06)
Have you ever been told at one point in your life that by not saying anything at all, you may actually be saying more? I know I have and this particular saying fits quite perfectly for the very atmospheric and obscure group known as Khlyst. This is a band who make almost no use of vocals but when they do, it is fucking bloodcurdling. This is another band that I was ready to review and listen to, but had absolutely no idea what they were about. It is paranormal, dark, and spine chilling. Their latest release Chaos Is My Name begins with what sounds like witches in a dungeon with music that finds you looking over your shoulder to make sure no one is behind you. It seems certain that this band crafted this simply to scare the shit out of you. I do not find myself discontented with this album because Khlyst are bringing out emotions and really making you work your mind. You find yourself asking a lot of questions, one of the main ones may be, “who are these people and what is with the screeches?” They make exquisite use of noises, echoes and gut wrenching shrills that literally scare you. Chaos Is My Name is tremendously abstract and dissimilar. It is vivid that Khlyst has set out to construct something that no one has ever heard of, nor would they ever expect to hear. One of the most disturbing and longest tracks off the album is “II” It opens up with very shallow breathing and intangible ghost-like noises. You can close your eyes and almost feel yourself walking down a dark pathway, lost in the woods and surrounded by fog. The song is very soft and adds many more thoughts as you have your eyes closed imagining yourself lost in the darkness of the forest.

One of the darker tracks off of Chaos Is My Name is “VI”. It starts with very low sound frequency and adds more little touches as it progresses. If you listen closely, you can hear tiny little growls and yells that sound like someone is literally getting torn apart. However, what makes those sounds so interesting and intimidating is the fact they turned down the yells so low that the shallow breathing and low buzz noises are more commanding. It’s as if you are still walking down the path only becoming closer to the whatever is happening. The sounds from hell bounce from side to side of the speakers and adds so much additional feeling that you may not be alone in your room. Towards the middle of the song, an easy cracking of noise enters and Khlyst brings back the strange clatter sequence and a little bit higher frequency of the prevailing buzz. At the end of the song percussion enters and quickly exits. Khlyst has created an album that could be the soundtrack to any good horror movie. You do not need visuals to be scared of this music, just put the headphones on and you will feel fear. “VII” is the strongest song for guitar, percussion, and that signature screeching vocals. For the first time on the album, you hear a very strong growl from the vocalist. The guitars are extremely raspy and scratch like sounding and the drumming is extremely scattered, making this track a roller coast of trepidation. The final minutes of the song take the spot of the scariest part of the album. Echoing screams, growls, and yells are heard as the scratchy guitar continues, if you haven’t looked to your sides, jumped or said “oh, shit” yet, you will after this track.

Khlyst created this album so that you could close your eyes and visualize yourself lost in another world. Chaos Is My Name is so silent, murky and devastating that it is unbelievably chaotic all at the same time. You have to trust me when I say that this music scares me. Maybe because I don’t understand it or maybe because I am sitting here at 12:03 at night writing this in my quiet apartment, who knows. The sounds, effect and noises are so flawlessly placed that once the vocals enter you jump because they come quickly and unexpected. This is music that is very fascinating and will have you thinking and questioning everything almost as soon as you hear the first few seconds. Khlyst has set out to open up your mind and explore what is going on, and maybe look over your shoulder or question that there are ghosts living amongst us. Take a dark room, fuck it up a little bit, make the flight flicker in a non-consecutive fashion and put this Chaos Is My Name on, you will scare the fuck out of yourself. Khlyst have created a magnificent gloomy album.

-- I have to admit that this album cannot be simply rated by the system we are using. This is extreme form of metal that is not tradtional by any means. If you are looking for music that is 100% different from anything out there right now, check these guys out. I will now have nightmares for about a week or so.

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13
11:29 PM on 10/22/06
CommishGord
Boomshockalaka.
User Info.
I'll admit I'm not the most knowledgeable in this style of music. But probably more so than a lot of people around these parts.

They're not necessarily identical, but everyone should check out Kayo Dot...amazing and different music.

And some of the coolest, and nicest people I've ever met.
07:01 AM on 10/23/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
I'll admit I'm not the most knowledgeable in this style of music. But probably more so than a lot of people around these parts.

They're not necessarily identical, but everyone should check out Kayo Dot...amazing and different music.

Yeah I have heard a lot about that band. I am really digging this stuff, super interesting.
07:32 AM on 10/23/06
whyte39
www.alexwhyte.com
User Info.
good review man, where can i check them out?
07:35 AM on 10/23/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
12:16 PM on 10/23/06
CommishGord
Boomshockalaka.
User Info.
Yeah I have heard a lot about that band. I am really digging this stuff, super interesting.

For the love of God, do it man. Check out Kayo Dot.

"Dowsing Anemone With Copper Tongue" is flat out amazing.
07:22 PM on 10/23/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
For the love of God, do it man. Check out Kayo Dot.

"Dowsing Anemone With Copper Tongue" is flat out amazing.
I will for sure dude.
09:59 PM on 10/23/06
CommishGord
Boomshockalaka.
User Info.

Also, if you haven't already, although I have to give you credit that you would already adore this band, fucking listen to Mare.

Sweet jesus, LOVE MARE!

If you don't have it now, I'll fucking buy it for you!

Well, maybe not, but I could send it, if need be.

AMAZING!

Original singer of The End. Kills it.
10:45 PM on 10/23/06
TheBaroness
User Info.

Kayo Dot fucking own.
12:37 AM on 10/24/06
CommishGord
Boomshockalaka.
User Info.

Indeed, and assuming that your name is referring the stellar band Baroness, you rule as well.

Baroness was so good when I saw them with Municipal Waste.
10:44 AM on 10/24/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
Also, if you haven't already, although I have to give you credit that you would already adore this band, fucking listen to Mare.

Sweet jesus, LOVE MARE!

If you don't have it now, I'll fucking buy it for you!

Well, maybe not, but I could send it, if need be.

AMAZING!

Original singer of The End. Kills it.
I will look into it man. I have Boris and Suno))) being sent my way so look for both of those reviews soon.
09:26 PM on 11/01/06
DrewSkylinepres
skylinepress(dot)net
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This band is horrible. At times it tries to sound like a more disturbing Sunn0))) and other times the screeching and guitar tracking was miserable and overly annoying.
11:28 PM on 11/01/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
This band is horrible. At times it tries to sound like a more disturbing Sunn0))) and other times the screeching and guitar tracking was miserable and overly annoying.
Haha, hey... to each their own!
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums