AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Number 12 Looks Like You, The - Put On Your Rosy Red... Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 10
Musicianship 10
Lyrics 8
Production 9.5
Creativity 10
Lasting Value 9.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.75
Final Verdict: 95%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.25
Musicianship 9.54
Lyrics 8.88
Production 9.58
Creativity 9.63
Lasting Value 9.21
Reviewer Tilt 9.29
Average: 93%
Inside AP.net

Number 12 Looks Like You, The - Put On Your Rosy Red...

Reviewed by: Pat Marquez (10/24/06)
Any group of kids that decide to name their band The Number 12 Looks Like You had better be prepared to get a bunch of stares and even expect to have a few kids simply write the band off from the beginning. However, knowing that I am not one of those kids nor will I ever be (unless you name your band something awful such as Dying In Winter) I began listening to these guys not to long ago. This is technical guitar work at it’s best. The insane musicianship of axe shredding is all thanks to Jamie and Alex. These two guys make everything sound simply beyond belief, it‘s hard to imagine anyone being able to play their guitars so well. It is mind blazingly technical and so strongly jazz influenced that as this music blares through your speakers you fear that everything around you is going to blow the fuck up in a matter of seconds. This is what I look for in music, a band that is going to push it as hard as they can and change their direction of flow so many times that they are going to redefine unpredictable. Their latest re-release Put On Your Rosy Red Glasses is as destructively brutal as it is amazingly gorgeous. Any one that has given The Number 12 Looks Like You a chance, knows that those jazzy break downs are bone chilling. How many bands do you know are able to go from absolute chaos to sounding so elegant? Not many could even attempt to pull this off, but The Number 12 does it well. As I keep on listening, they still continue to blow me away with each song. It is nearly impossible to simply sit here and listen to the music with out feeling the need to move your body or imagine yourself at the concert and charging to the front. Your emotions and feelings will run wild as the CD develops.

The gut wrenching screeches, the deathly growls and the inconceivable percussion make this band one of the most talented groups around today. The most vicious track off the album is “Jesus And Tori.” The song is set in motion with insane guitar work that has the listener wondering if these guys fingers are going to fall off at any given second. If you consider yourself a fan of industrial guitar work, you will be blown away as you listen to this track. Once the serenade of the guitars is completed the insane burly growls enter and then everything finally explodes into what is the rest of the track. The preeminent thing about The Number 12 Looks Like You is that there is not one single band you can compare them to. I do admit that they have a few characteristics here and there of other groups but if anyone were to ask you “name a band they sound like,” you can not do it. Put On Your Rosy Red Glasses is full of wonderful break downs are that are very avant-garde. There are no other bands that stop and fall into a jazz ballad. That is my attachment with the band, they are original by the truest definition and are bound by nothing. No one in the music world is even attempting to create something so vastly obscure as these guys have. The Number 12 are pioneers and they are truly a band that is way ahead of their time. “Empty Calm” is a song that you could play for any jazz purist and they would with out a doubt in my mind proclaim that this is a perfect display of two young guys with excellent musicianship. Making no use of vocals, this is simply the guitarists song showcasing their incredible talent. Challenging yourself is a good thing. If you are looking for music that is out of this world and difficult to fathom, Put On Your Rosy Red Glasses will make your top ten this year again.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 63
10:08 AM on 10/24/06
whyte39
www.alexwhyte.com
User Info.
nice review man, and only two paragraphs, impressive
10:09 AM on 10/24/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
nice review man, and only two paragraphs, impressive
Ha, thanks. I didn't want to repeat myself to much.
10:12 AM on 10/24/06
LikeACat
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
To reviewer: two words sawtooth grin. http://www.sputnikmusic.com/album.php?albumid=3917
www.myspace.com/thesawtoothgrin
listen to them and they sound fimilar.
Did you mention these guys were grind?
Dont ask ppl to prove u wrong in you review. Cuz then you get proven wrong.

But ya these guys soon will become i think one of the most popular grind band around.
10:12 AM on 10/24/06
whyte39
www.alexwhyte.com
User Info.
Ha, thanks. I didn't want to repeat myself to much.
haha, yea man, its cool, perfect length, it just jumped out at me as a whole that it was two paragraphs, and justified at that
10:16 AM on 10/24/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
To reviewer: two words sawtooth grin. http://www.sputnikmusic.com/album.php?albumid=3917
www.myspace.com/thesawtoothgrin
listen to them and they sound fimilar.
Did you mention these guys were grind?
Dont ask ppl to prove u wrong in you review. Cuz then you get proven wrong.

But ya these guys soon will become i think one of the most popular grind band around.
I don't usually try and define a band by a genre. You could call them grindcore but the typical bands that are referred to as grind sound a lot more crunchier then #12, just my opinion I guess. I asked you to prove me wrong by saying you didn't like the band.
10:21 AM on 10/24/06
LikeACat
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I don't usually try and define a band by a genre. You could call them grindcore but the typical bands that are referred to as grind sound a lot more crunchier then #12, just my opinion I guess. I asked you to prove me wrong by saying you didn't like the band.

Touche

Still take a quite listen on their myspace (band has broken up since then).

Im looking foward to their next album. Im pretty sure theyve finished recording it?
10:25 AM on 10/24/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
Touche

Still take a quite listen on their myspace (band has broken up since then).

Im looking foward to their next album. Im pretty sure theyve finished recording it?
I will take a listen. I'm always down for a new good band.
10:26 AM on 10/24/06
BallsInYoFace!
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Ummm Chree played drums, not guitar, and he's not in the band anymore either.
10:27 AM on 10/24/06
LikeACat
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
U should they only have unreleased tracks on their website. Cuddlemonster EP is kinda hard to download. They have even higher pitched screams then the # 12.
10:35 AM on 10/24/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
Ummm Chree played drums, not guitar, and he's not in the band anymore either.
You are correct, I have once again read the bio incorrectly. Fixed!
10:36 AM on 10/24/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
U should they only have unreleased tracks on their website. Cuddlemonster EP is kinda hard to download. They have even higher pitched screams then the # 12.
Any growls? I think those are fucking brutal. Is it as technical as #12 is?
11:01 AM on 10/24/06
backpocket
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Problems with your review -

On empty calm, jamie does not play. That's only alex. And that track is more classical than jazz. Alex over tracked 2 and 3 guitars on that track.

Furthermore, this is a resissue of theri first EP that was out on the now defunct brutal records. They have written 2 records since this point. This is old material - 3 or 4 years old at least now.

that's all.
11:13 AM on 10/24/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
Problems with your review -

On empty calm, jamie does not play. That's only alex. And that track is more classical than jazz. Alex over tracked 2 and 3 guitars on that track.

Furthermore, this is a resissue of theri first EP that was out on the now defunct brutal records. They have written 2 records since this point. This is old material - 3 or 4 years old at least now.

that's all.
This is a re-release. I figured I would review it, since it never was before.
11:18 AM on 10/24/06
FASSWcore
under lock and key
User Info.
good review, lame for people bickering cause it's a re-release. the comparison to sawtooth grin is pretty stretched, at least to me. cloacal kiss makes me wish sawtooth grin would get back together.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums