AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Stephen Brodsky - Octave Museums Album Cover

Stephen Brodsky - Octave Museums

Reviewed by
Cave In is the reason why I am in love with all things metal. I am happy that their releases were some of the earliest albums I first purchased. Beyond Hypothermia is one of the most passionate albums I have ever had the chance to listen to and this fact still remains accurate today. When I heard Stephen Brodsky was going to be doing a solo project, I was stoked to hear what it sounded like. Now that I have my hands on his latest release, Octave Museum, I am blown away. It is definitely something any true fan of Cave In would not expect but is still one unbelievable album. It is just as atmospheric as Brodsky's Cave In but no where near as heavy. He has taken a brilliant step in his musical career. If I had to find a one way to describe the sound, you have to imagine a more technical version of The Strokes… in space. This album is just that staggering. You could even say that his music sounds a bit like something The Shins would release. Brodsky adds the signature atmospheric programming, easy guitars, and loose percussion that seems to make up the general sound of Octave Museum. "Sentimental Case" is one of the best songs off the album, it has a exceptionally soothing pop sound to it and is extremely bouncy. This is the first song that instantaneously reminded me of that New York Indie sound. I really enjoy the fact that he has made this twist in his music, the sound is insanely pleasurable. An accurate description of the tone would be easy listening. Once again, something many Cave In fans may have never expected. It's story telling music at it's best, Brodsky is an excellent lyricist.

"Red Headed Butterflies" is the paramount track off of Octave Museum. The song beautifully displays how remarkable Brodsky's vocals are, this track is the selling point of the entire album. The music is simply amazing and very peaceful in sound. If you are looking for "indie" music that is straightforward but very technical and diverse all at the same time, this album is right up your alley. It sounds like a lot, but it all comes together and is easily one of the better albums that has been released this year thus far. Anyone that is thinking that this may be a let down, I beg you to throw those thoughts out the window and pick this album up. There is no possible way anyone would find displeasure with any of the amazingly crafted tunes Mr. Brodsky has created for you. He jumps into a totally new genre and takes it on with full force. Brodsky is playing his new style a great deal better then many of his contemporaries and bands that have been trying to prevail with this style of music for years. Octave Museum is a unique original, bouncy, atmospheric and poppy release that almost anyone can enjoy if they have a good ear for music. I have said this many times before and I still find it true, it is never a bad thing to change the sound of your music. It is human nature to evolve and transform, and Stephen Brodsky has nearly perfected his morph into something that is completely set apart from his previous acts.

CreditsEditor : Jamie Durante
This review is a user submitted review from Pat Marquez. You can see all of Pat Marquez's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 26
09:52 AM on 10/26/06
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Sounds like Antenna-era Cave In...I love that album.
10:00 AM on 10/26/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
Sounds like Antenna-era Cave In...I love that album.
That is a good album. I still think this is a little bit slower. It has a different sound for sure.
10:06 AM on 10/26/06
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
PS - You have "museums" spelled wrong in the title :)
10:07 AM on 10/26/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
I make a lot of typo's. Fixed.
10:10 AM on 10/26/06
phoenixinflames
User Info.
Brodsky is a god.
10:12 AM on 10/26/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
He is a good dude, for sure.
10:19 AM on 10/26/06
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Wonder how many people know he is the lead singer of Cave In from looking at the main page.
10:23 AM on 10/26/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
Wonder how many people know he is the lead singer of Cave In from looking at the main page.
I am going to take a guess and say no. Hopefully the kids that have been following my very few reviews will read this just based on what I have been writing about, but who knows!
10:52 AM on 10/26/06
Forsythe22
Hey.
User Info.
"It is definitely something any true fan of Cave In would not expect but is still one unbelievable album."

Not the most graceful way of putting it, but I am still looking forward to hearing the album. Thanks for the review.
10:54 AM on 10/26/06
xobstacleonex
true blue hooligan since 2001
User Info.
in my opinion, 'antenna' was definately my least favorite cave in record. 'sea frost' is fucking amazing, though.
i have to check out his solo stuff. my friends keep talking about how good all his shit is.
12:43 PM on 10/26/06
WakingTheMisery
XCXMAS
User Info.
I'll have to pick it up.
03:14 PM on 10/26/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
You were so blown away with this album that you gave it a 79%? Woot.
Yup, it happens! Trust me, you wouldn't like it. Once again, this would be music you don't "understand."
03:16 PM on 10/26/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
in my opinion, 'antenna' was definately my least favorite cave in record. 'sea frost' is fucking amazing, though.
i have to check out his solo stuff. my friends keep talking about how good all his shit is.
I didn't like that one as much either. The other stuff was just so intense.
04:08 PM on 10/26/06
lostintheair
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this sounds nothing like antenna or the strokes

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT