AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Your Eyes My Dreams - Weapons Are Useless Album Cover

Your Eyes My Dreams - Weapons Are Useless

Reviewed by
Your Eyes My Dreams is everything you have already heard before. However, for once I don't necessarily come across the idea as an appalling thought. I am actually finding myself really enjoying their latest release Weapons Are Useless. This isn't a band that has set out to redefine anything or make their music that technical but none the less they are still a really tight group that isn't awful by any means. Unlike Full Blown Chaos or the Dead To Fall albums, I do not find myself becoming infuriated or irritated with their sound. Your Eyes My Dreams does a really nice job of keeping things interesting but not straying too far away from the general sound of the album. One fixation a lot of kids may come across with this band is that Weapons Are Useless could very easily sound like an early Poison The Well album that is a collection of b-sides. On a more positive note, a lot of kids may actually like this even more because maybe they are not happy with the sequence of change Poison The Well has taken over the years.

Weapons Are Useless opens with the hard-hitting intro titled "Deadlocked" filled with pounding percussion and some pretty tightly arranged riffage. This is the first experience with Jason Pryor's vocals and upon the initial listen he definitely has a very impressive sound to his yell. His lyrics are lacking quite a bit, but the brutality of the music saves the listener and makes up for the diminutive downfall in his writing. "Anna Rebekah" takes the spot for the most forceful track on the entire album. Falling into almost a 30 second break down this is sure to have the listener attached by now. One thing that I have noticed with a lot of bands such as Your Eyes My Dreams is the fact that if you are looking to become instantly hooked within the beginning of each track it is near impossible. Some of the best aspects of their music is found in the middle with the break downs and towards the end where they decide just let everything go. "Even An Angel Fell" is reminiscent of the intro because it packs the same devastating punch right from the first few seconds. Hastily, the band drops into some serious riffage and the song eventually pans out into the typical sound that can be found a few times over on the album. The vocals on "The Bookie Says It's Time To Pay" sound exactly like a Poison The Well b-side but the guitar work is evocative of some early Swedish metal bands such as At The Gates.

Without a doubt, Your Eyes My Dreams is talented band that can actually write some superior tunes. Although you can not strictly define them as an original band, it is more than fair to say that they are in the fore front of their genre and doing it a lot better than some of the bigger metal bands that we are hearing in the scene-mainstream nowadays. This is metal that is unrelenting, and powerful. The vocals are extremely heavy and exceedingly tight. Pryor also has an amazing clean singing ability, which may come as a surprise to most fans. In all honesty, I have never considered myself a fan of the fresh vocals in metal, but this is a rare case where it actually makes sense. Again, also very similar to the earlier sounds of Poison The Well. Weapons Are Useless is for any fan of aggressive metal music. You have your break downs, your riffage, your insane percussion and more vocals then you can handle; Your Eyes My Dreams have not forgotten anything.

CreditsEditor : Jamie Durante
This review is a user submitted review from Pat Marquez. You can see all of Pat Marquez's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8
10:53 AM on 10/26/06
Russ Hockenbury
with special guest
User Info.
This already got an Ap.net review back in July, not sure if you knew that or not.
11:31 AM on 10/26/06
.KillMoneen.
User Info.
wheres the damn blood brothers review i mean comeon!
02:28 PM on 10/26/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
This already got an Ap.net review back in July, not sure if you knew that or not.
Did it really? Damn, I am pissed. Sorry Russ, I am guessing you already did it. I got the record in the mail the other day and just assumed no one else had did it. I won't even bother promoting this.
02:28 PM on 10/26/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
wheres the damn blood brothers review i mean comeon!
I don't own the album, talk to Drew Beringer, he has it.
06:45 AM on 10/27/06
crazytoledo
Addicted to slurpees
User Info.
Dude, this album is a mixed bag.

On one hand, it's a fun 'mosh' album, but on the other hand, it's completly generic, all the songs are similar, and I'm not completly digging the shouting here. Could be better, but it's not that bad.
10:48 AM on 10/28/06
PlusDanny
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Thanks for the review Pat. :) It's nice to hear different thoughts on the same album and I'm sure some people missed the other one and others will want a fresh look at it.
10:54 AM on 10/28/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
Thanks for the review Pat. :) It's nice to hear different thoughts on the same album and I'm sure some people missed the other one and others will want a fresh look at it.
Word bro, I wasn't going to post it and then I thought if I took the time to write it I mind as well promote it. Thanks for readng!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos