AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Slayer - 08.04.09

Interviewed by
Slayer - 08.04.09I recently had the chance to sit down for a five-minute interview with legendary Slayer drummer Dave Lombardo during the Mayhem Festival to talk about the tour, the band's upcoming album, a potential new Fantomas release, and more.

First, can you introduce yourself and tell us what you do in the band?

[straight-faced] I am Dave Lombardo. I drive the bus.

[laughs] We're here at the Mayhem Festival. How has the tour been going so far?

Good. We had a long drive last night. [pause] No, we didnít drive last night. [laughs]

Do you have any good tour stories so far?

A lot, but I can't remember any of them. [laughs] The just tell me the next.

That's how you know they're good.

Yeah, it's been a great, great time. And itís mayhem, absolute mayhem.

It lives up to the name?

It does, yeah.

Are there any bands you try to catch every day?

Yeah, I like Bullet for My Valentine, great bunch of guys. I heard their music a while ago, and they're great. Really, really cool. And Manson, of course.

Whatís it like going on before him? You donít usually see Slayer not headlining.

It's no big deal. We don't mind. Go ahead, be our guest.

You have a new album entitled World Painted Blood coming soon. Can you tell us about that?

No. Yeah, okay. The album, World Painted Blood, will be out the second or third week of September. [Editor's note: the release date has been changed November 3rd.] Itís an amazing record. Itís a collective effort on everybody's part. We had a great time recording it. Great producer. I could go into detail on every subject I just mentioned, but it's going to take up too much time.

Some of the new material that's been released seems more mid-tempo than we're used to. Will a lot of it be like that?

Itís a little mid-tempo, yeah. There's some fast stuff. There's one song where I do a blast beat, which is unusual. I've only dabbled in blast beats on the last Slayer record only on one verse of a song, so this one has two verses with blast beats. I think this is really exciting, this record.

You wrote a lot of the material in the studio this time around. How did that go?

Really good. It was challenging because, of course, you're under somewhat of a pressure when you're in the studio. You think, "Okay, that clock is running. That means that's money." Youíre under a little bit of a pressure. We did have the studio blocked out for a period of time. But it was good for us because it challenged us and it made us perform and improvise and come up with the best possible part at the time. It made us think instead of just, ďOh, weíve got this song down.Ē No, we tried to make it as best as we good, with the help of the producer.

Tom [Araya, vocals/bass] has said that he's uncertain about the bands future after this album. Do you share those sentiments?

I donít share those sentiments. Iím going to be the [Rolling Stones drummer] Charlie Watts of heavy metal. I'm gonna play drums until I'm old and gray.

Nothing wrong with that.

Nope!

Do you have any plans to reconnect with Mike Patton for another Fantomas album?

Yes. I just e-mailed him a few days ago. He's out with Faith No More. He said he missed me, and I told him I miss him, and we've gotta jam together and do another record. I'm excited, and I want to do that, because working with that guy is like fertilizer to me. You learn a lot. The guy's amazing. He's a genius.

What else is in store for you for the rest of the year?

For me personally, Geoff Rowley, a skateboarder, wants me to do some drums on his video. I'm doing some movie soundtrack stuff when I get home with Dave Sardy for a movie called Love Child, I think. I've got a few things coming up. Small things keeping me busy in the nine days that I'm going to be off at home.

And what about Slayer? A lot of touring?

Yes, lots of touring. Australia, New Zealand, Japan, South America, Europe, and it goes on and on. Probably repeats two or three times by the time the touring cycle ends.

Do you have any closing remarks?

No.

Alright, thank you for your time.

Youíre welcome.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 25
09:17 AM on 09/07/09
Codi23
I believe in you.
User Info.
Short and to the point. Interesting interview!
09:18 AM on 09/07/09
andrewa5
www.facebook.com/oftemples
User Info.
I dont know if hes gonna last like charlie watts is!
10:47 AM on 09/07/09
JTMcKrackles
I'm not sad anymore
User Info.
Lombardo is the only good part about modern Slayer.
11:28 AM on 09/07/09
emerson1892
COWABUNGA
User Info.
Lombardo is the only good part about modern Slayer.
What?
11:44 AM on 09/07/09
MorningStar10
the other Kyle.
User Info.
What’s it like going on after him? You don’t usually see Slayer not headlining.

^^ is that wrong, cause surely if they are going on after Manson, they would be headlining.
11:51 AM on 09/07/09
Of Purest Fire
Your kiss so sweet
User Info.
"Are there any bands you try to catch every day?

Yeah, I like Bullet for My Valentine, great bunch of guys. I heard their music a while ago, and they're great"

Credibility lost.
12:42 PM on 09/07/09
shermanology
Dubnium
User Info.

Yeah, I like Bullet for My Valentine, great bunch of guys. I heard their music a while ago, and they're great"

Credibility lost.
Its fucking Dave Lombardo. Hes in Slayer. He's got more "credibility" in his left nut than all of us.
01:10 PM on 09/07/09
anthonydarko
Fight Milk
User Info.

Credibility lost.
He played drums on some of the best thrash records ever made, he can do whatever the fuck he wants.
02:06 PM on 09/07/09
Of Purest Fire
Your kiss so sweet
User Info.
He played drums on some of the best thrash records ever made, he can do whatever the fuck he wants.

So what? That was +20 years ago.

Nothing can excuse the garbage Slayer have been releasing in recent years.
02:26 PM on 09/07/09
TheDemosRock
What's a fuckass?
User Info.

Very very very true. You can only ride the steam from early records for so long.
02:37 PM on 09/07/09
anthonydarko
Fight Milk
User Info.

That comment alone proved how much of a noob you truly are.
02:55 PM on 09/07/09
Of Purest Fire
Your kiss so sweet
User Info.
That comment alone proved how much of a noob you truly are.

Hahaha. Seriously?

As far as I'm concerned only 80's, (yes 80's, SoH (their last above-average effort) was released in 88 = +20 years ago) Slayer material can be held as "legendary".
It makes me a noob to claim that everything they released after that era is inferior?

Seriously, show me how I am a noob.
03:01 PM on 09/07/09
anthonydarko
Fight Milk
User Info.
Hahaha. Seriously?

As far as I'm concerned only 80's, (yes 80's, SoH (their last above-average effort) was released in 88 = +20 years ago) Slayer material can be held as "legendary".
It makes me a noob to claim that everything they released after that era is inferior?

Seriously, show me how I am a noob.
You're a noob because you claim Lombardo no longer has credibility because he said he enjoy Bullet For My Valentine's music and blowing off Seasons Of The Abyss, which is considered to be one of Slayer's finest. That's something a 15 year old would say on a metal forum so he can look "kvlt".
03:14 PM on 09/07/09
Of Purest Fire
Your kiss so sweet
User Info.
You're a noob because you claim Lombardo no longer has credibility because he said he enjoy Bullet For My Valentine's music and blowing off Seasons Of The Abyss, which is considered to be one of Slayer's finest. That's something a 15 year old would say on a metal forum so he can look "kvlt".

I understand that maybe I overreacted with my statement, but it just drives me nuts
to see these guys praising such shitty groups (first with Slipknot, now with BFMV, ugh)
I just can't imagine what the hell Dave Lombardo was thinking when he said it.
Add that to a more than few disappointing releases and well you get the point.
But like I said I might have overreacted a bit.

Now, I actually don't mind "Seasons In The Abyss" but to me it just can't compare to it's predecessor.
South of Heaven is actually one of my fav Slayer albums (which curiously gets a lot of hate from Slayer fans)
and to me SitA is just pale in comparison.

With that said, your own attitude was equally if not more inappropriate than mine.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos