AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

The Almost - 12.9.09

Interviewed by
The Almost - 12.9.09-I'd like to thank the users for helping a lot with the questions. Good work guys!-

Aaron Gillespie certainly has had a busy end of the year. With going back on tour with UnderOath around the same time of releasing the next album, Monster Monster, for his project The Almost. Mix that with his new AP blog about food, and well, it's a way to cap a decade. Gillespie took some time out to answer some of our questions via e-mail.

How much of your beliefs run through Monster Monster as opposed to Southern Weather?

I think and hope the same amount. I feel it [is] super important to pour all you are into everything you do, so I'm trying to put who I am in this music.

Do you feel like there were aspects you were able to explore and spend more time on with the new album that you hadn't had the chance to do with Southern Weather?

Yeah, for sure. For starters, the whole record was written and recorded by the whole band, this afforded us to create a more "viby" record, not to mention it just has a "band" feel.

How does it feel having two ex-Beloved members in the band now?

Haha, good! They are killer musicians, and I've known them for ten years.

How do you feel about concertgoers' reactions when you speak about your faith onstage?

People are great. They are respectful. If you give it, you'll get it. People donít want to be stuffed [and] honesty is the best.

Have you ever had vocal lessons? Any advice for aspiring singers? For drummers as well?

I have had vocal lessons. My advice with any instrument is confidence. If you go out and believe you can do it, you can. If you go up scared, you're going to fail.

After playing with The Almost for a few months/focusing on that aspect of your career, is it hard to get back in the groove of playing music in the vein of Underoath?

Itís a bit hard to make the physical transition, but thatís the worst part. My hands take it badly as well as my neck, but otherwise it adds a little positive, "honeymoon" type stage to each tour.

So what do you prefer, drums or frontman?

Loaded question... drums though. I'm more comfortable, but it is really awesome to be able to reach out and touch people.

How does it feel to know your music has affected someone in positive way?

I hope it does. I donít really like to think about it a lot. I want to feel like a part of it. I know I'm no one special, and I know that no one will probably remember this music. I mean I hope they do, but let's face the facts, I'm getting old and I'm not getting any better looking, not to mention I also don't really like neon. Man, I just want God to use me, and I feel he is.

With your blog here on Absolutepunk.net, do you think you'll ever put out a cookbook?

I would rather do a travel-type show, but who knows.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 25
01:06 PM on 12/09/09
Oneurwaitingfor
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
aw. one of those questions was mine. cool interview. I enjoyed it
01:18 PM on 12/09/09
Jordan_Huyser
User Info.
Really good interview. I love Aaron's answers. He seems to be a really cool dude with a lot to offer. I hope I eventually get to see him with The Almost(seen him with Underoath) and or meet him.
01:46 PM on 12/09/09
topher465
every shining time you arrive
User Info.
Dude is a sick sick drummer. No one can argue with that.
02:12 PM on 12/09/09
the1
Blink One Eighty Who??
User Info.
"I also don't really like neon"

lol.
Thanks for asking my vocal question!
02:37 PM on 12/09/09
Nick Le
Yeezy taught me.
User Info.
Lol at the neon part of his answer. And I love that Dusty and Joe are in the band, haha.
02:39 PM on 12/09/09
andresr200
let's put that to rest
User Info.
Great interview. The "How does it feel to know your music has affected someone in positive way?" answer was really nice. I know The Almost and Underoath will stay strong in this business as opposed to those neon bands. Even if he says he's no special, I think he's a role model for young people and that's important! I love the new album, been listening non-stop.
02:42 PM on 12/09/09
PoweredbyPJ
Just because...you move your lips..
User Info.
awesome interview
02:56 PM on 12/09/09
Yellowcard2006
I'll buy you a raincoat
User Info.
My question wasn't asked. Kinda short interview. Good though
03:50 PM on 12/09/09
xsinkshipsx
@alexmacwilliam
User Info.
Lol at the neon part of his answer. And I love that Dusty and Joe are in the band, haha.
it's cool that they are in the band...but truth be told, give me beloved back anyday...
04:36 PM on 12/09/09
youngmountain
http://littlewaves.bandcamp.com/
User Info.
it's cool that they are in the band...but truth be told, give me beloved back anyday...
definitely
05:04 PM on 12/09/09
scotlandft
User Info.
the most genuine person ever. def. only gonna be one Aaron Gillespie in this world.
05:56 PM on 12/09/09
swt_catastrophe
Los Angeles.
User Info.
love him. and the new album is legit.
09:21 PM on 12/09/09
CarouselBoy
Not everything, not yet
User Info.
He always sounds like a standup guy.

Best part:

Quote:
I'm getting old and I'm not getting any better looking, not to mention I also don't really like neon
09:49 PM on 12/09/09
cng9590
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i love the almost aron is amzing in general in the almost and underoath

"http://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/charities/1299927?src=embed"
"http://a1.chase.contextoptional.com/images/vote_for_us.jpg?1258698490"

Choose TWLOHA as your charity and Vote!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives