AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Exotic Animal Petting Zoo - I Have Made My Bed in... Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 10
Lyrics 7
Production 9.5
Creativity 9.5
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Final Verdict: 87%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.64
Musicianship 9.43
Lyrics 8.57
Production 9.07
Creativity 9.5
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9.32
Average: 91%

Exotic Animal Petting Zoo - I Have Made My Bed in...

Reviewed by: CatalinaCaper (01/08/10)
Exotic Animal Petting Zoo - I Have Made My Bed in Darkness
Record Label: MediaSkare
Release Date: August 19th, 2008

Way back in 2006, when I first came across this band on Myspace, I fell in love. Then, in 2007, Exotic Animal Petting Zoo announced that they would be recording a full length album, and I probably wet my pants. Yet, for almost 14 months, not one single update surfaced about the status of their album, and crushed, I assumed they must have all died in a tragic shredding accident. Much to my relief, however, in 2008, the much anticipated – by me – album I Have Made My Bed in Darkness came to exist.

Not since The Fall of Troy has a solidly technical three-piece band produced an album that has been worth wasting five minutes on. Though I may come off as overly patronizing, I cannot stress enough the importance of giving this album at least an once-over, and then once you become entranced, listen to this album from beginning to end non-stop, the way it’s intended to be listened to. The album flows relentlessly but flawlessly between the pounding metal licks and screams to melodic breakdowns, the kind that all those copy-and-paste post-hardcore bands try to imitate, but fail at. The boys of EAPZ really go out on a limb to represent the “experimental” genre they define themselves as, and were it not for an affluence of individual skill at every musical level, this record would have been merely a puddle of molten confusion. I Have Made My Bed in Darkness is nothing other than the prophetic future of metal/hardcore, and while it may forever be shrouded in absolute obscurity in the music scene, it deserves no less than the upmost appreciation.

Recommended Songs - Moonshoes, Richard Dean Anderson, Seeds

Recommended If You LikeFall Of Troy, Face Melting, Melodic Metal, Fear Before the March of Flames

Check them out on Myspace.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 21
11:04 PM on 01/09/10
Big_Guy
Idle Will Kill
User Info.
it drags a bit, but still pretty good
11:14 PM on 01/09/10
oldwirehands
billionsandbillions / Chris
User Info.
Seeing this made me so happy :) Thank you for reviewing their record.
12:31 AM on 01/10/10
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
Chemist Vs. The Computer > EAPZ
04:19 AM on 01/10/10
SanePsychotic
Queerkegaard
User Info.
Not bad, but I don't think there's a lot of lasting value here.
07:36 AM on 01/10/10
cwhit412
User Info.
Checking it out due to the name of the band.
09:28 AM on 01/10/10
Greg.Kushlan
Ghostbusting makes me feel good
User Info.
It's really boring. It makes TREOS interesting by comparison.
01:02 PM on 01/10/10
a nocturnal day
this ain't a game
User Info.
There is so much potential here. Had this for like a year now. It does drag on a bit but Seeds, Moonshoes, and Ira Lore are the highlights of the album. Check Moonshoes first.

Also I agree with the rating except for the vocals. Dude has a good voice that isn't bitchy or whiney like alot of others in the scene. Maybe an 8?
01:07 PM on 01/10/10
DogSizedBird
User Info.
I love this album. Seeds destroys me. Sounds like if Dillinger Escape Plan teamed up with Radiohead or Cave In.
02:09 PM on 01/10/10
kevinjordan
This Wild Life - Kevin
User Info.
It's really boring. It makes TREOS interesting by comparison.
I find this album incredibly interesting. Much more dynamics and levels than that of TREOS (whom I love) but I feel they should be compared more to the likes of FOT, DEP, and the many Mike Patton projects..
05:19 PM on 01/10/10
CatalinaCaper
Stay Classy, San Diego
User Info.
There is so much potential here. Had this for like a year now. It does drag on a bit but Seeds, Moonshoes, and Ira Lore are the highlights of the album. Check Moonshoes first.

Also I agree with the rating except for the vocals. Dude has a good voice that isn't bitchy or whiney like alot of others in the scene. Maybe an 8?
I agree - and I prefer his voice to a lot of others in the same genre..

the only reason i went for a 7 instead of an 8/9 is because I feel like the vocals were one of the most underutilized parts of the album.
05:26 PM on 01/10/10
TriangularDuck
we will set sail the prairie
User Info.
Chemist Vs. The Computer > EAPZ
is there any sort of connection between the two bands, because they sound absolutely nothing alike. I'm a fan of both, and can't see where that comparison is drawn from.
05:55 PM on 01/10/10
CatalinaCaper
Stay Classy, San Diego
User Info.
is there any sort of connection between the two bands, because they sound absolutely nothing alike. I'm a fan of both, and can't see where that comparison is drawn from.

Yes, actually. The drummer of EAPZ - Stephen Carr - is also the drummer of The Chemist vs. The Computer

However to the best of my knowledge the two bands are good friends.. so I doubt they really care who is > the other.. lol
08:44 PM on 01/10/10
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.

They shared a drummer who has now quit Chemist, and I guess they used to be friends or something. I saw them both for the first time at the same place and was impressed by Chemist and not EAPZ, which is how I connect them. It was a couple years ago though in their defense.
09:28 PM on 01/10/10
oldwirehands
billionsandbillions / Chris
User Info.
Yes, actually. The drummer of EAPZ - Stephen Carr - is also the drummer of The Chemist vs. The Computer

However to the best of my knowledge the two bands are good friends.. so I doubt they really care who is > the other.. lol

They shared a drummer who has now quit Chemist, and I guess they used to be friends or something. I saw them both for the first time at the same place and was impressed by Chemist and not EAPZ, which is how I connect them. It was a couple years ago though in their defense.

Steve lives next door to me. We're still good friends. There's no bad blood between us or the band.

Just wanted to make sure this was clarified :)
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests