AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Four Letter Lie - A New Day Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 7.5
Production 9
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 7.75
Reviewer Tilt 7.75
Final Verdict: 79%
Member Ratings
Vocals 5.4
Musicianship 5.65
Lyrics 5.1
Production 6.2
Creativity 4.85
Lasting Value 5.1
Reviewer Tilt 6.45
Average: 55%
Inside AP.net

Four Letter Lie - A New Day

Reviewed by: CatalinaCaper (02/20/10)
Four Letter Lie - A New Day
Record Label: Victory Records
Release Date: October 13, 2009

Whether you like it or not, the post-hardcore genre has and will likely always be a revolving door for band line-ups, with founding members constantly moving on and moving out. Four Letter Lie is no different, losing not only vocalist Kevin Skaff to A Day to Remember, but also their drummer Derek Smith to a rap career in early 2009. Nonetheless, both were ultimately replaced and after only six months, and the band released their third full length album, A New Day. The album promised a more mature and sophisticated coming-of-age attempt, and what we got was indeed a very different sound from the previous two releases.

The album's intro track, "Daymaker", immediately sets the pace for the rest of the album, as it not only begins at a sudden and robust burst of lead vocalist Brian Nagan's vocals, but also a noticeably different instrumental approach from their previously experimental-esque breakdowns. The catchy, foot-tapping riff in the opening song reminds you immediately of early Every Time I Die or A Day to Remember, which though sometimes criticized, is effective in keeping the attention of its listeners. The band clearly realized its criticisms from former releases, often being bashed as "generic screamo", and shows as the album progresses that they can effectively pound out harder, faster jams. Gone are the clean vocal progressions and high-pitched bursts and in their place is a steady barrage of the scratchy, guttural screams that stereotype the hardcore scene of today. This get in, kick ass, and get out attitude is exemplified even further in the track lengths, with the longest song "Faces in Places" falling just short of four minutes.

As the album progresses and the immediate changes are absorbed, so progresses the dabbling into previously heralded post-hardcore techniques. For instance, "It's Finally Over" features a drum machine intro with a eerie Norma Jean reminiscent guitar and drum effort. This is supplemented with a pounding bass line which is echoed throughout the rest of the album. "The Key to the World", one of the stand out tracks of the album, again features electronic components throughout the song. However, the method in which it is done is not cliche' whatsoever, like the Attack Attack style beats that are often mocked. Instead, Four Letter Lie use the supplementary beats to create a hybrid techno-core song.

At the end of the day, Four Letter Lie aren't "the future of the music business" (yes, you Tom DeLonge) nor do they pretend to be. What these guys do accomplish however, is a solid and forward-looking approach to a post-hardcore album, and certainly a step in the right direction. It's safe to say that Four Letter Lie won't be going away any time soon, and their best material could very well be ahead, not behind them.

Recommended If You Likepost-hardcore; Every Time I Die; A Day to Remember; a big grizzly beard.

victoryrecords.com/fourletterlie
myspace.com/fourletterlie

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 18.
06:43 AM on 03/12/10
Handraa
Bestfriend means I pull the trigger
User Info.
I don't know if I agree with the ETID comparison..but well written. Skaff went to adtr?
04:56 PM on 03/13/10
JayDanielHammer
solidkneeplus.tumblr.com
User Info.
*Brian Nagan

I still liked their last album the best, K Skaff knows how to write a song for sho.
05:18 PM on 03/13/10
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
Definetly wish Skaff stayed in, he was a great vocalist, but the album was still quite enjoyable
06:07 PM on 03/13/10
ndoleman
Registered Member
User Info.
I kinda wrote this album off right from the start. Recently I started listening to it and I like it now. I respect them for keeping it going and you can tell they're best friends just having fun trying to live the dream.
06:14 PM on 03/13/10
ActionActionFan
A New Day
User Info.
Great album and great band. The review on the other hand can use some work. The singer's name is Brian Nagan. I would not consider Kevin to be a lead vocalist when he was in the band. And Brian is not the replacement singer since he has been the band's singer since the band began.

But I do agree that Key to the World is a standout track. It is by far my favorite off the album.
06:17 PM on 03/13/10
Mattylikesfilms
If You Dig Up The Dead...
User Info.
This album is pretty horrible.
08:12 PM on 03/13/10
Xx sorrow xX
poof
User Info.
I need to hear this album
09:19 PM on 03/13/10
letsgoflyers
User Info.
despite all the hate is seemed to get, i really enjoyed "What a Terrible Thing To Say". I thought the album was incredible for what it was. wish they could have made another album in the same vein as that one. god dammit k staff!
09:37 PM on 03/13/10
moneymaker.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this band is washed up...

p.s. Kevin Skaff was the backup vocalist for FLL, not lead vocalist.
11:21 PM on 03/13/10
CatalinaCaper
Stay Classy, San Diego
User Info.
Great album and great band. The review on the other hand can use some work. The singer's name is Brian Nagan. I would not consider Kevin to be a lead vocalist when he was in the band. And Brian is not the replacement singer since he has been the band's singer since the band began.

But I do agree that Key to the World is a standout track. It is by far my favorite off the album.
Appreciate the corrections, I got a bit of contradicting information on who was lead/backup when I was writing this and just went with my best guess.

Hopefully the changes I made regarding the lineup make the review more accurate :)
04:23 PM on 03/14/10
Pete-Fish101
hi, hi! hi!! HAI!!!
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i like how they have a more Hardcore sound on this album, even though i thought their last release was stellar!
08:09 AM on 03/20/10
BaysideFan88
User Info.
i wish quite surprised with the album and thought they really able to make a good album.
10:14 PM on 03/25/10
Josh1279
User Info.
*Brian Nagan

I still liked their last album the best, K Skaff knows how to write a song for sho.

This!
09:11 AM on 04/20/10
Mosh
click clack, pow pow
User Info.
this album sucked, just like their other two did. but not gonna lie, Daymaker is a greeat song.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums