AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Colors In The Air - On The Inside Album Cover

Colors In The Air - On The Inside

Reviewed by
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Colors In The AirOn The Inside
Label: The Workshop Recording Group
Release Date: June 1, 2007

I sure do get tired of pop culture jokes. Laugh at them one minute, and then forget about them the next. If you’re like me, you want something that will stand the test of time. If you’re not like me, you have feet that are the same size and no difficulty pronouncing the word “paranoia.” Colors In The Air’s debut, On The Inside, is sadly nothing more than a well-timed Paris Hilton joke. Fine, maybe it’s not so depressing. A more apt description might be a certain “love tattoo” on Angelina Jolie’s arm. When still in your CD player (or on your arm), the emotions are passionate. Though, once your next favorite pop-rock band replaces On The Inside, don’t expect to pop it in anymore.

Now don’t think I hate this album. In fact, I think it’s well written and catchy. But, and this is becoming a problem with pop music, there is a lack of cohesion. Upon listening to the opener, “Maybe Tonight”, I was preparing myself for a carefree, upbeat affair. Boy was I wrong. Too many of the songs on On The Inside are sedated and slow moving. Brian Miller has a sleek voice capable of handling the softer songs, but when aggression is needed, he still delivers. I would much rather tap my toes to “Will You Stay With Me” than sit around a campfire and listen to the acoustic guitars of “Always You.” If you’re trying to pick up girls at camp this summer, add “Always You” to your repertoire. Prepare to be beaten up shortly after.

Colors In The Air gets awfully presumptuous with some extremely long tracks. “Westbound” nears eight minutes of bland, mellow pop. The music actually goes silent for a few seconds, giving the illusion of a new track. Then, the same Mute Math-ish riff comes back in for three more minutes. I’m in no shape for a marathon. Closer, “Pieces”, is half of a sitcom (without commercials). The last five minutes are only feedback and strange electronic noises. This ruins an otherwise solid song. And as the last track on the album, it leaves quite an irritating memory of On The Inside. It’s like when you wait during the credits of a movie for bloopers or a cryptic message about the sequel. You can’t pull yourself away, “just in case.” However, there was no redeeming quality to the wasted time spent waiting for a nonexistent hidden track.

On The Inside is a good starting point for Colors In The Air. “Smaller Than Yourself” would be a good blueprint to construct fuller, more dynamic songs. The chorus is soaring and the guitars become ambient and intense almost simultaneously. And, finally, slower moments are balanced with quick lyrical assaults. On the merits of just one song, I’m sold on the future of Colors In The Air. Mainstream appeal is more than possible, but it’s like I always say: You ain’t nobody until you’re somebody’s away message.

Recommended If You Like: The Graduate, Dream State, cleaning up after puppies, Copeland, the "Vote or Die" campaign

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 23
12:48 PM on 05/25/07
jakethesnake1
User Info.
I got this album dude and think it's pretty amazing, I just don't think you get it yet, keep listening to it. It's so nice to hear something that isn't the same 10 songs over and over again.
03:25 PM on 05/25/07
Prenz21
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Wow what a bad rating..come on now, i hated this kind of music til i heard this band. this actually has some meaning to it..its a lot better than ur rating says..keep up the work boys
05:29 PM on 05/25/07
birdman00
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
utman8 is one of the reasons the industry is as lame as it as today. Instead of trying to understand the artist, he simply compares the songs to what he's already heard and pretends to be the Jesus Christ of music cridicts. There are a few smart comments i've noticed throughout this review.. some positive some negative, but to compare an artist that is just establishing themselves to the next big thing is a compliment in itself. Looking past utman8's foolish paris hilton jokes you can see that he's the kid in highschool no one liked.. the sinical asshole to put it mildly. These jokes are a simple way for him to seem smarter than the rest and somewhat clever, when in reality noone really get's these retarded jokes, because well... they are retarded.
10:20 PM on 05/25/07
Nathan Lint
That's the real joke
User Info.
utman8 is one of the reasons the industry is as lame as it as today. Instead of trying to understand the artist, he simply compares the songs to what he's already heard and pretends to be the Jesus Christ of music cridicts. There are a few smart comments i've noticed throughout this review.. some positive some negative, but to compare an artist that is just establishing themselves to the next big thing is a compliment in itself. Looking past utman8's foolish paris hilton jokes you can see that he's the kid in highschool no one liked.. the sinical asshole to put it mildly. These jokes are a simple way for him to seem smarter than the rest and somewhat clever, when in reality noone really get's these retarded jokes, because well... they are retarded.

siq burn, brah. By the way.

critics*
cynical*
10:13 AM on 05/26/07
12:46AM
is a brain in a vat
User Info.
ya. blake is teh worstest cridict eva.
04:51 PM on 05/27/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.

lololol, i actually laughed at your points of contention. I think you missed the point of the jokes (or, possibly, the very first sentence of the review).

I appreciate your fantastic insight into my high school days. As my classmates would attest to, I wasn't quite so cynical. However, nobody liked me. Maybe it was my buck-teeth and and peg-leg. Thanks for reminding me of my many short-comings.

And to anyone out there that is, in fact, retarded, I apologize for this young man's comments. They were insensitive, but boy did they get his point across, right???!!???

Ha, i almost forgot about the Jesus Christ comment. I don't think he (or I, for that matter) would like that title placed upon my head. J.C. and I might not want this for entirely different reasons, but still, we're against it.

Too much good stuff in your scathing review of my review. I'll stop with this: A 67% isn't a bad score. It's not a D+. I'm not teaching an Algebra class.

poop and pee and weiners and balls,
Blake M. Solomon
05:29 PM on 05/27/07
blusox3
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I got my copy at the release show and it hasn't left my car stereo yet. plain and simple, this is a great CD.
12:20 AM on 05/28/07
birdman00
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
BOLOGNA

lololol, i actually laughed at your points of contention. I think you missed the point of the jokes (or, possibly, the very first sentence of the review).

I appreciate your fantastic insight into my high school days. As my classmates would attest to, I wasn't quite so cynical. However, nobody liked me. Maybe it was my buck-teeth and and peg-leg. Thanks for reminding me of my many short-comings.

And to anyone out there that is, in fact, retarded, I apologize for this young man's comments. They were insensitive, but boy did they get his point across, right???!!???

Ha, i almost forgot about the Jesus Christ comment. I don't think he (or I, for that matter) would like that title placed upon my head. J.C. and I might not want this for entirely different reasons, but still, we're against it.

Too much good stuff in your scathing review of my review. I'll stop with this: A 67% isn't a bad score. It's not a D+. I'm not teaching an Algebra class.

poop and pee and weiners and balls,
Blake M. Solomon
01:10 PM on 05/29/07
manofdaladies
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i believe that this review is a little hind-sighted. yes...this CD tends to drag on, but, its good. i can stand listening to 10 mins of music, like that of pink floyd and a couple songs on this CD. BUT, BUT.....what i CAN NOT stand is the amount of albums reviewed on here, where the next track on their CD sounds just like the next, and the next, and the next. to me it doesnt hurt to touch diff genres (pop, rock, acoustic, love, grunge, jazz, ect.).

i give this cd a personal rating of 90%
be your own judge.
01:37 PM on 05/29/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
i don't understand all these claims that these songs arent all similar in construction and theme. There isn't any drastic change of genre on this record. I don't know what "hind-sighted" means, but when i listened to this, few things jumped out. Its solid pop-rock, nothing less, nothing more. There is no experimentation or whatever all of you people are claiming makes this "different" than everything else out there. I was playing this in my car today, enjoyed it, but wasn't astounded by a "fresh taste on pop music." Just listen to the record if you like it, dont worry about my little opinion.
04:02 PM on 05/29/07
kickingtele
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
hey dude, its a well thought out and well written review either way...no need for arguments really....cd is good...you say its good...whats the beef?
04:58 PM on 05/29/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
hey dude, its a well thought out and well written review either way...no need for arguments really....cd is good...you say its good...whats the beef?

thats my point. People just look at the score. I have very few bad things to say about this album.

Haha, I did get a little worked up though. I'm better now. lots of stressful things going on right now.

cheers.
07:42 AM on 05/30/07
manofdaladies
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
yes man, i agree, it's not a bad review. i guess you have to see the live show.

stress sucks, go to a rub-n-tug. easy relief haha.

cheers to that
07:50 AM on 05/30/07
letthemusicplay
LetTheMusicPlay
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
after listening to this album numerous times through, i still cannot get enough. i think every track is perfect for the album. the vocals are unbelievable along with everything else. i think the production is also fantastic. a very well put together album. good work, ColorsintheAir.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos