AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.
Inside AP.net

After Midnight Project - 05.31.10

Interviewed by: Keagan Ilvonen (05/30/10)
The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

After Midnight Project

Answered by Jason Evigan

www.myspace.com/aftermidnightproject

1. How did you get your band name?
Just over 5 years ago when I started writing songs for this new idea that would soon become AMP. I titled my hard drive, where I stored all my music “The After Midnight Project”. After Midnight Project was only a working title but people either loved it or HATED it! Kids liked it and grown ups would always get gay on me and sing “After Midnight, we gonna let it all hang out”. I just do my fake awkward laugh and keep walking. I think its kind of a cool name.

2. How did this band get started?
The sound has changed from what it used to be. Originally I just wanted a keyboardest drummer and a guitarst. It was kind of like this postal service meets Kenna vibe. I found our drummer Danny on craigslist. My dad was playing keys at first, my cousin was playing bass and a friend of mine was playing guitar. That line up only lasted about a year. Then Danny introduced me to Spencer because they are both from Michigan . A producer friend of mine brought TJ to the table. And Christian I guess found out about tryouts through family friends. Turns out we some how new each other from the past. And Yes I had to fire my own father and cousin…. Rough times

3. What bands are you influenced by?
I grew up loving Micheal Jackson, Smoky Robinson, The Four Seasons and Stevie Wonder.. Then got really into Hip Hop like Dre and snoop. Then in 6th grade I discovered Pantera and Metallica. That changed my life. From there came Nirvana, Green day, Rage against the Machine, Korn, Deftones, Nine Inch Nails. And then I got out of high school and started loving more electronic based music as well as rock, like Postal Service, Kenna, Sigur Ros Etc. And I am huge fan of singer songwriter kind of stuff Like Cat Stevens, Elliot Smith and Bright Eyes…. And I must say some country has been on my radio lately, I really dig the lyrics.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
I would have loved to of toured with Elliot Smith, We could have had a few cocktails and written some amazing songs together in between shows. I really want to tour with Muse…. Why… Because they are unbelievable and so inspiring. Deftones or 30 seconds to mars I think would be a very fitting tour for us.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
Hmmmmm whats a furry? Let me google it hold on………. Oh wow didn’t except to see that!!! Ewww actually I cant tell how I’m feeling right now… I guess I would be that bunny one. He seems kind of rad

6. Why should people listen to your band?
Well I think music is in a really weird state right now… So many Artists don’t write there own music. Its kind of like back in the 50’s most of the artists had the songwriters behind the scenes writing for them. Then came the 60’s and 70’s where it was all about the art and there were real bands and real talent. The 80’s.. well the 80’s was just interesting. The 90’s was a giant punch bowl of grunge Ganster Rap and Nu Metal. I feel like the market is so super saturated and its hard to find real bands that are in the mainstream market… We are real, we can play our instruments, we write our own music. We don’t have to use auto tune and we make sure that you will have a great time at our concerts.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
I think Come on Come on would be pretty tough for all you gamers. Its not Dragon Force but Im sure set on expert it would kick your ass.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
For sure my Mom Dad, Two sisters and my girl. I have such supportive people in my life. They back me and my dream everyday. And it’s a tough life for someone you love to put up with. Wow winning a Grammy would be so cool.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Hmmmm people who wake up and feel like P Diddy?

10. Memorable tour experience?
Besides the time Craig Owens ran up to me in a giant crowd at warped tour 09 and said he was a huge fan of AMP, I’m going to go with our last day off in Austin Texas on the Story Of The Year tour we went toobing down the river. The whole team just hanging out, cruising, rope swings and a cooler of beer. It was my last and best memory of our Tour Manager who just passed away. It was such a magical day.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
Well AP.net is that place I like to come and find out whats cool and whats not cool. I must say it’s a bit scary at times. I feel like some dudes just hang out on here and talk crazy shit all day. I kinda tip toe around the site hoping some kid doesn’t hop out and just start beating me up…. It is for sure one of the most legit sites for the rock world right now. Or at least that’s what I think

12. What is your favorite song to play?
It changes all the time. The Criminal is one that hits so many different emotions through out the song, its almost like a whole set in one song. There is a newer song we play live called “Keep My feet On the Ground which is for sure my fav. At the moment.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
I love going to Kauai . Its one of the oldest of the Hawaiian Islands so its filled with really lush jungles and fun water falls. If I want to get fancy I will go to South Africa . It is the most incredible place to visit. The wild life, the food, the clubs and just such amazing people.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Bryan Adams, The Beatles, Micheal Jackson, Whitney Houston and ofcourse Vanilla Ice

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
The cloning power. There are not enough hours in the day for everything. I would have 5 of me doing different things through out the day. When night time comes all 5 of me get together and turn back into one. But still retaining and feeling everything that happened to us=me.

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
No we have had a lot of success the past few years but I think we are very far from making it.. What is making it anyway? There are s many degrees of success. I wonder if Bono thinks he made it? Probably

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
That Im 6’5? I don’t really hide anything from our fans. Im like an open book. I blog a lot and try and keep everyone close. Hmmmmm I stutter!! That’s something I hide well.

18. What's your favorite holiday?
Christmas! I love giving presents and I love fire places. I love the idea of eggnog and mistle toes. Mmm home sweet home.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I love eating frozen yogurt Dulche de Leche with cookie dough and heath toppings and watching movies. I like writing for other bands and artists and producing aswell. Haha wasn’t I just complaining how people don’t write there own music anymore? Weird. I love my dogs and Hiking.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I can make really nutty sounds with my mouth and fingers. I am very skilled with both…..

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2.
01:30 PM on 05/31/10
SaDistiC
User Info.
LOL!!
Great interivew, like always, Jason
Had a few laughs reading it (that Furry bit was hilarious!).
Cant wait to see you in Montréal
<3 Clau
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT