AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Stubborn Tiny Lights vs Clustering Darkness... Album Cover

Stubborn Tiny Lights vs Clustering Darkness...

Reviewed by
Stubborn Tiny Lights vs Clustering Darkness Forever OK? - The Infinite Regress
Record Label: Future Recordings
Release Date: June 23rd, 2010
It’s 2010, so if you’re in a post-rock band, you better either be writing exceptional tunes, or be innovating and revolutionizing the genre. Otherwise, you’re running a pretty good chance of getting lost in the shuffle. For Cedar Falls, Iowa’s Stubborn Tiny Lights vs Clustering Darkness Forever OK? (how’s that for a Wheel of Fortune word puzzle?), the first option works best. Not once throughout the sixty-plus minute The Infinite Regress can they claim to be helping post-rock evolve, but that’s a moot point, because you’ll probably be too busy getting lost inside its sonic caves and colossal build-ups to care. That’s the kind of album we’re dealing with here – it makes you move past your critic mindset and gets you excited about getting lost in its instrumental ire.

Other than setting the music up with cinematic words, the track titles (and numbers) don’t matter much, since there are awfully long pauses of silence even within the tracks themselves. But if you’re a post-rock fan, you don’t really need rigorously defined tracks anyway, because you already know how these songs play out: gentle, tingling openings lead to escalating build ups, which then lead to wild climaxes that resolve into gentle, tingling guitars again. Then comes the silence. What makes The Infinite Regress so solid, though, is the greatness with which the band executes these structures. Every ascent and subsequent descent is dipped in violent passion; strings frantically a-whir, guitars and drums pounding, sweat dripping. There’s even a part in “Through Valleys” that turns some Junius-inspired vocals into a vivid climax.

So don’t be disappointed if you were looking for a boundary-pusher. The Infinite Regress never claimed to be anything of that sort. But don’t be surprised when you find yourself being enveloped by it and not caring anymore, either. That’s what the album did promise to be: an attention-holder. Otherwise, just let the music do the persuading.

Recommended If You LikeYndi Halda, Sunlight Ascending, EITS, Junius

Stream/purchase/download the album for free on Bandcamp.

Find Stubborn Tiny Lights on Myspace.
This review is a user submitted review from Matthew Tsai. You can see all of Matthew Tsai's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13
05:58 PM on 08/10/10
IAmNietzche
MYOB or BYO stretcher
User Info.
Good review. Great album.

You should check out and review The Munroe Transfer's Trials. It's one of the better post-rock albums of the past five years.
06:05 PM on 08/10/10
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.

You should check out and review The Munroe Transfer's Trials. It's one of the better post-rock albums of the past five years.

Oh interesting, haven't heard of them
before. I'll def check them out, thanks for the rec!
08:33 AM on 08/11/10
HometownHero
User Info.
Oh interesting, haven't heard of them
before. I'll def check them out, thanks for the rec!
How does it feel being the best reviewer on this site?
08:44 AM on 08/11/10
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
How does it feel being the best reviewer on this site?
Ha, thanks, the compliment means a ton to me, but I'm not even close. I definitely hold some of the other staff members' writing in much higher regard than I do mine.
10:18 AM on 08/11/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
I absolutely loathe this band name. But I seriously love the music. A lot.
11:12 AM on 08/11/10
PetitnaindesÎles
We can gallop upon the sea...
User Info.
Quote:
RIYL : Yndi Halda, Sunlight Ascending, EITS, Junius

Interesting.
02:04 PM on 08/11/10
xsinkshipsx
@alexmacwilliam
User Info.
this is easily one of the worst band names I've ever heard
02:29 PM on 08/11/10
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
I'm not a big fan of it myself. The music, however, is another story.
03:34 PM on 08/11/10
sidekicksuicide
these are not just mountains
User Info.
They usually just call themselves Stubborn Tiny Lights. Super good live.

Mr. Matthew Tsai, how well-known is Sunlight Ascending? I know one of the guys in that band and I was very surprised to see them mentioned in the RIYL.
03:43 PM on 08/11/10
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
They usually just call themselves Stubborn Tiny Lights. Super good live.

Mr. Matthew Tsai, how well-known is Sunlight Ascending? I know one of the guys in that band and I was very surprised to see them mentioned in the RIYL.

I don't think they're very well known. I reviewed one of their cd's a while ago, which is how I know them. I throw them in post-rock RIYL's to get them some exposure.
03:46 PM on 08/11/10
duffe
_________________________ _____
User Info.

i'm listening right now to Trials. It's great. next is The Slowest Runner In The World, I read good thing about this album.
04:43 PM on 08/11/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
this is easily one of the worst band names I've ever heard
I totally agree with you.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles