AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Chiodos - Bone Palace Ballet Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 7.25
Production 8.25
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 81%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 8.37
Lyrics 7.98
Production 8.11
Creativity 8.22
Lasting Value 7.96
Reviewer Tilt 8.42
Average: 82%
Inside AP.net
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.

Chiodos - Bone Palace Ballet

Reviewed by: Drew Beringer (09/04/07)
ChiodosBone Palace Ballet
Release Date: September 4, 2007
Record Label: Equal Vision

Each major company has a flagship product. Nike has their Air Jordan line, Apple is more popular than ever thanks to the iPod, and when you think McDonalds, you think Big Mac. Well, comparatively speaking, Chiodos’ second album, Bone Palace Ballet, is Equal Vision’s flagship album of 2007. With their debut album, 2005’s All’s Well That Ends Well, selling over 100k (which caused a re-issue of said album in 2006) and being one of the most popular bands on this year’s circuit of the Warped Tour, Equal Vision has big plans involving Chiodos taking over.

Produced by Casey Bates (Gatsby’s American Dream, Fear Before The March Of Flames), Bone Palace Ballet is shorter than the debut, therefore making the album much easier to digest, as All’s Well tended to get on the repetitive side after a while. The piano is also much more of a focal point on Ballet, carrying many tracks including the ballad “Intensity In Ten Cities.”

But the high-powered vocals and guitar work are still very present throughout the album. Beginning with a few heavy breaths from vocalist Craig Owens, “Is It Progression If A Cannibal Uses A Fork?” kicks off the album with a titillating piano sequence and machine gun drumming until the guitars kick in with Owens’ high-pitched wail. “Bulls Make Money, Bears Make Money, Pigs Get Slaughtered” has a waltzy undertone to it and features guests vocals from Jesse Korman (The Number 12 Looks Like You) and Nick Martin (Underminded). “A Letter From Janelle” is emotionally heavy, while “I Didn’t Say I Was Powerful, I Said I Was A Wizard” is a fast paced track taking aim at the band’s critics.

“Teeth The Size Of Piano Keys” is a swift kick in the scrotum, as Owens’ screaming dominates the intro. The song is unrelenting throughout, with Owens’ proclaiming that “there was no living creature as foul as I/and all my poems were false.” The orchestration displayed in “Life Is A Perception Of Your Own Reality” adds a different element to Chiodos’ sound, and “If I Cut My Hair, Hawaii Will Sink” is vintage Chiodos. The aforementioned “Intensity In Ten Cities” is all piano, and sets up the closing track beautifully. Martin joins Owens on vocals again in pulse-pounding “The Undertaker’s Thirst For Revenge Is Unquenchable (The Final Battle).” It closes out the album in dramatic style, as it is the hardest track on the album. The only flaw is the cheesy poetry recited by Owens at the very end. It does not deter from the final track, though, as it finishes out Bone Palace Ballet on a high note.

Unless you were born yesterday, it is fairly obvious that Chiodos is not a favorite of the majority of users on the site. Whether it be their image, their sudden rise to popularity, their ridiculous song titles, or people being sick of the genre, they are a band many love to hate. Yes sometimes the lyrics are little cliché, and to be honest, Bone Palace Ballet will not change opinions, as it is a progression from All’s Well That Ends Well. But Chiodos does the genre well, fusing harmony with chaos that very few bands can pull off, plus Owen's vocals are fantastic. Chiodos have only begun to take over the world, but Bone Palace Ballet is a nice step in that direction.

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. Is It Progression If a Cannibal Uses a Fork? - 3:26
2. Lexington (Joey Pea-Pot with a Monkey Face) - 5:22
3. Bulls Make Money, Bears Make Money, Pigs Get Slaughtered - 3:28
4. A Letter from Janelle - 3:16
5. I Didn't Say I Was Powerful, I Said I Was a Wizard - 4:09
6. Teeth the Size of Piano Keys - 3:23
7. Life Is a Perception of Your Own Reality - 3:46
8. If I Cut My Hair, Hawaii Will Sink - 2:23
9. Intensity in Ten Cities - 4:34
10. The Undertaker's Thirst for Revenge Is Unquenchable (The Final Battle) - 4:37
Produced by: Casey Bates

Chiodos are:
Craigery Owens: Vocals
Radley Bell: Keyboards
Pat McManaman: Rhythm guitar
Matt Goddard: Bass guitar
Jason Hale: Lead guitar
Derrick Frost: Drums

Official Website; Official Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 192
10:31 AM on 09/04/07
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Haha, I am so excited for all the shit I'm gonna get! Good thing I'm used to it.
10:39 AM on 09/04/07
TheDemosRock
What's a fuckass?
User Info.
Great review. Love this band, really like the record.
10:41 AM on 09/04/07
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
I think it's a good review Drew. I saw a bunch of kids at Best Buy today grabbing copies left and right. Weird. I haven't given it a good listen yet, but I liked the music of the last album.
10:41 AM on 09/04/07
MasonR5
Water and Mason
User Info.
based on the songs i've heard so far, i'd definitely give it a better score than 81, but that's just me.

probably gonna go pick this up later today.
10:43 AM on 09/04/07
princesschad
sowing season
User Info.
Great band.
10:47 AM on 09/04/07
Thug_Nasty
www.GridPins.com
User Info.
i didnt even realized this came out today. im going to best buy after school to pick up my copy.

but only 10 songs? im going to pissed if they have a re-issue with more songs in about a year.
10:48 AM on 09/04/07
zafran27
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
best cd of the summer
10:52 AM on 09/04/07
Winnie the Pooh
Trust Fund my fav
User Info.
lollllllll "craigery"
10:52 AM on 09/04/07
Praetor
as we melt, let's make no noise.
User Info.
There are some decent songs on this CD, just like the last one, but it's just too full bad ones for me to give it higher rating than a 70%. Solid review.
10:56 AM on 09/04/07
Jason Tate
User Info.
I do not have enough thumbs to point downward.
10:57 AM on 09/04/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
i had never heard band before Warped this year, but i didn't much like what I experienced then. Good review, though.
11:05 AM on 09/04/07
Fades2Black
hard rocking all day long
User Info.
Good Cd and a fair review
11:07 AM on 09/04/07
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
sweet review, i am stoked to get it today
11:09 AM on 09/04/07
TheArdentLove
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I've listened to about five songs so far and I like it. A step up from their debut. Nice review!
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums