1. How did you get your band name?
The name Athletics is a (VERY) roundabout way of saying that our differences simply do not matter; We may have been involved in sports when we were kids, but we are all currently musicians and nerds - quite possibly the furthest away from athletes we could be.
2. How did this band get started?
When Garrett and John Cannon left the Cast Before the Break, Garrett started playing acoustic under the name Athletics. After collaborating with Howie, it quickly evolved into a full band endeavor where friends Jimmy and John Luby were picked up and John Cannon on drums.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
Sigur Ros, Thrice, Moving Mountains, Explosions in the Sky, The Receiving end of Sirens, Fire When Ready, In Pieces, The Graduate.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
La Dispute, Polar Bear Club, Moving Mountains, Fire When Ready, Explosions in the Sky. They're all bands we listen to and individuals we respect.
5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
A manatee because our first full band show was a "Save the Manatees" benefit. Or a cat because it's a cat, come on.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
We care about the music we make and we want you to feel the way we do when we play it.
7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
"See You On the Other Side." Might be hard to play that riff on five-star. However, it's a pretty straight ahead rock song.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
We'll thank the guy who established a post-rock grammy.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I wish there were more ninjas than pirates.
10. Memorable tour experience?
Playing a show in a bouncy house.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
The only social music website that matters, other than showpopr.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Foo Fighters, The Early November, Weekend at Bernie's Soundtrack, Alice in Chains, Taking Back Sunday.
16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
We've seen more success already than we expected. We are more than grateful to Deep Elm, but we're still working. We'll never stop working. If you "made it," you've given up. The music business is ever-progressing, we'll always do our best to keep up.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
John our drummer, is actually also the best guitarist, bassist, and vocalist but no one else is good at drums.
18. What's your favorite holiday?
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
HGTV, PBR, COD, String Cheese, Bikes, Prank phone calls to Adam Moulter [phone number removed].
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Luby can do awesome impressions, Howie looks like Chris Daughtry, John Cannon is a world class Barista, Garrett has red hair, Jimmy Boyce doesn't sing in the band but can kick everyone's ass in sing star.
Our debut album "Why Aren't I Home?" is out now on Deep Elm Records.