AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Forever the Sickest Kids - Forever the... Album Cover

Forever the Sickest Kids - Forever the...

Reviewed by
Forever the Sickest KidsForever the Sickest Kids
Record Label: Universal Motown
Release Date: March 1, 2011
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Forever the Sickest Kids have been up and down quite a few hills within the past quick four years. Their freshmen EP, Television Off, Party On, turned heads due to the techno-backed poppy hooks and choruses. Following this suit, the band’s debut record Underdog Alma Mater proved to be of great success in 2008. The record earned FTSK radio play, and ultimately a widespread mass of fans as well as signing to a major label (Universal Motown). However, the downside followed with The Weekend: Friday. After deciding to create a three part set of weekend EPs, FTSK began with Friday, an extreme downgrade and disappointment, as it appeared the band felt they were in high school.

Thankfully, the continuation of the aforementioned EPs was stopped, and now the Sickest Kids are back with Forever the Sickest Kids. This record – with the majority of it presenting the handiwork of David Bendeth, who produced half the tracks – is a mix of both Underdog and Friday. However, although the opening “Keep On Bringing Me Down” and select other tracks channel the former record, inspiring hope that FTSK are back on a good note, the rest of the record channels more of the latter, regrettably.

Both the opener and “I Guess You Can Say Things Are Getting Pretty Serious” are high-voltage pop tunes, driven by Jonathan Cook’s addictive vocals and the distorted guitars Caleb Turman and Marc Stewart. In this way, these tracks begin the record on a high note, leaving the listener bouncing around to these poppy cravings. The infatuation stops short, however, as the following “Life Of The Party” is littered with auto-tune, electronic drums, and synth over dosage. The result: arguably one of the worst songs FTSK have ever penned, channeling Good Morning Revival-era Good Charlotte, which is never a good thing. Similarly, the later “Same Dumb Excuse (Nothing To Lose)” is dreadful, with Cook trying to go for high notes through an electronic guitar session.

Aside from these complete misfires, the rest of the record really isn’t bad. “Robots & Aliens” could be a huge radio hit, while “King For A Day” is a softer tune, equipped with trippy synth and an incredibly catchy – albeit mediocre – chorus. Here, the early side of FTSK prevails. “Good Life” is as poppy as it gets on Forever the Sickest Kids, again sporting a bombastic chorus, something FTSK thrive on.

“Bipolar Baby!” follows suit of “Same Dumb Excuse,” with an incredibly mediocre chorus, but still, there’s no denying Cook can sure sing some damn catchy tunes. Thus, the record appears unbalanced. The over dosage of electronic affects on already mentioned tracks is everything everyone hated about Friday. Likewise, the lyrical content throughout the record is that of a middle school student’s notebook, as expected. The record, unfortunately, produces mixed feelings of love and hate. The addictive tunes stick, but the lame electronic numbers ruin the overall flow of the record.

The penultimate “Forever Girl” is this record’s “Coffee Break,” though it lacks the charm of the original. Thankfully, the closing “What Happened To Emotion? (Killing Me)” ends Forever the Sickest Kids the right way. Although it’s not as solid as the opener, this closer is simply bombastic. Cook’s melody over the soaring guitars makes the track huge; the changes from fast to slow make for a truly solid number, and easily one of the best tracks on the record.

Clearly the guys placed the best tracks as the opener and closer, starting and ending the sophomore record excellently. The extreme downside to this, of course, is that the middle of the record is littered with mixed results. The final outcome of this is an extreme lack of consistency. The high spots are high, but the low spots are even lower. If FTSK can ditch the auto-tune and cut back on the techno effects, their third record could be a huge pop record; however, that is just simply not the case here.

Recommended If You Likea mix of Underdog Alma Mater and The Weekend: Friday

Listen ToKeep On Bringing Me Down; I Guess You Can Say Things Are Getting Pretty Serious; What Happened To Emotion? (Killing Me)

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Keep On Bringing Me Down
2. I Guess You Can Say Things Are Getting Pretty Serious
3. Life Of The Party
4. Robots & Aliens
5. King For A Day
6. Good Life
7. Same Dumb Excuse (Nothing To Lose)
8. Bipolar, Baby!
9. Summer Song
10. Forever Girl
11. What Happened To Emotion? (Killing Me)

Forever the Sickest Kids are:
Jonathan Cook – Vocals
Caleb Turman – Rhythm Guitar, Vocals
Marc Stewart – Lead Guitar
Austin Bello – Bass, Vocals
Kyle Burns – Drums
Kent Garrison – Keyboard, Synth

Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 76
04:58 PM on 02/20/11
cwhit412
don't ask
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Ugh. That's what I saw coming after the clips. Keeps On Bringing Me Down was such an exceptional song. Same with the 2nd track. The rest sounded like garbage, which saddens me.
05:16 PM on 02/20/11
Nardes
User Info.
Bummer... maybe it'll be good for me to workout to?
05:39 PM on 02/20/11
Manufactured Dreams
Fabricated Revolution
User Info.
Can't say I'm surprised by this.
05:41 PM on 02/20/11
xName Takenx
User Info.
well now that their keyboard person left... problem solved from here on out?
05:42 PM on 02/20/11
Charlesieiy
The night just grew its fangs
User Info.
Hmm, solid review, and to be honest after the shambles that was Friday it looks like they're taking a step in the right direction, despite the apparent stumbles on this record. I'll still give this a listen. They're an interesting band to say the least.
05:54 PM on 02/20/11
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Hmm, solid review, and to be honest after the shambles that was Friday it looks like they're taking a step in the right direction, despite the apparent stumbles on this record. I'll still give this a listen. They're an interesting band to say the least.
It's definitely worth a listen, and a few tracks on it definitely stick.
06:15 PM on 02/20/11
karadoll
Open up a little happiness today.
User Info.
Pretty much what I figured. Will definitely give it a listen.
06:28 PM on 02/20/11
birtcho
is...
User Info.
I just can't imagine this being half decent
07:15 PM on 02/20/11
StepsInADance
taeyeonlogic.tumblr.com
User Info.
Well that sucks, I was really warming up to the idea that Forever the Sickest Kids would finally become more than a fun summer band
08:22 PM on 02/20/11
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Only the opener and closer are worthwhile at all in my opinion. And the closer was better in the teaser video sans vocals.
10:21 PM on 02/20/11
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
I am excited to check this out regardless. I have grown my music tastes are starting to expand in a way that allows me to appreciate a level of cheesiness or pop that a year ago would of sickened me. I loved their fist album and did not hate Friday. I will give it a shot. I find very few albums within the genres I listen to hard to like.

- Catchy chorus, some guitars, and an upbeat attitude is really all I need (with some exceptions). I love all sorts of music though. Will be picking this up.
10:48 PM on 02/20/11
billyboatkid
The Protagonist of Loneliness
User Info.
Good review. Loved Underdog and hated Friday as most would.

Still stoked on this and will be picking it up along with Go Radio on the 1st.
02:30 AM on 02/21/11
birtcho
is...
User Info.
I am excited to check this out regardless. I have grown my music tastes are starting to expand in a way that allows me to appreciate a level of cheesiness or pop that a year ago would of sickened me. I loved their fist album and did not hate Friday. I will give it a shot. I find very few albums within the genres I listen to hard to like.

- Catchy chorus, some guitars, and an upbeat attitude is really all I need (with some exceptions). I love all sorts of music though. Will be picking this up.

Man, we're the same age and I've grown out of that stage
03:11 AM on 02/21/11
laxcrs
Fuck what you know!
User Info.
damn i was hoping for more underdog alma mater

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles